Heritage Owners Club

NGD: Thom Van Hoose's Super Eagle arrives...

2bornot2bop

I'll have to do some more research, but there's a possibility this may be the first Super Eagle built by Heritage. Thom Van Hoose, author of the Gibson Super 400 book, commissioned this guitar in 1989 after getting wind that Heritage was ready to create an acoustic Super Eagle. If this isn't the first, it's very near it.

On page 134 of the Super 400 book Thom refers to this SE as light....that's an understandment...it's lighter than my acoustic Golden Eagle!

Page 134 reads:

"The Heritage Super Eagle made its official debut in 1988 as an electric guitar only.

In late 1988 Peter Wagener of LaVonne Wagener Music in Savage, MN, heard that Heritage might be offering an acoustic version of the Super Eagle guitar for sale. He ordered, sight unseen, an acoustic cutaway Super Eagle in natural finish with select woods for me.

I communicated directly with James Deurloo and Bill Paige of Heritage on certain aspects of the guitar's design. Deurloo stated that they were going to make the acoustic Super Eagle in very limited quantities, and that my particular guitar would have an X-braced top of select spruce, with a select, book matched curly maple back and curly maple rims. The top and back would be tap-tuned to achieve further acoustic resonance and balance.

When this instrument was completed, it was delivered to me with a Gibson BJB floating pickup with tone and volume control fixed to the pickguard. This particular instrument has an exceptional acoustic tone and is a very light-weight guitar for an instrument of its size."

...lost the light before delivery so these will have to do...

IMG_9032_zpsb60d4a0d.jpg

IMG_9007_zpsf7a60944.jpg

IMG_9002_zps0cecce89.jpg

IMG_9001_zpscd0502b0.jpg

IMG_8980_zpsc0dbc8af.jpg

IMG_8979_zps1db66d03.jpg

IMG_8975_zps7d1fec2e.jpg

IMG_8976_zpsf6c554e5.jpg

IMG_8972_zps0e057246.jpg

IMG_8974_zps5822a104.jpg

Magnificent guitar. Have the controls been changed out?

Yes. Apparently a previous owner has a thing for thumb wheels. But in his defense he had the foresight to keep the original vol-tone control parts and provide them with the guitar, so I'll be returning it to stock.

That is simply awesome! I'm betting that the light weight is due in part to the tap tuning of the top and back.

How does she sound?

Well my go to for acoustic archtops are TI Bebop 14 rounds. The guitar arrived with what appear to be flat 12's...there's a lot more beef to be found with my strings, I'm sure of it...but even with the 12 flats the guitar shows a lot of promise....unfortunately she arrived today with a electical gremlin...those dreaded thumb wheels are commonly suspect...so all the more reason to pull 'em...and I'll do a string change and setup while I'm at it.

no kidding, she feels like a 1.5 pounds lighter than my GE acoustic...that's some trick. The top is definitely on the thin side...this should get interesting.

Well Thomas Infeld's are .14 in name only really. They've less string tension than typical strings. The actual rated tension of TI 14's is almost equivalent to a pair of D'Addario .12 flat's. Perhaps it's the wound Nickel, I don't know for sure...maybe Marty knows. But they last a very long time, which is another bene.

At any rate, I spent much of the day giving this 25 year old some cleaning love...even the pots needed cleaning...thankfully, now I've got electrical contact. Man, this BJB pup is really something special...never heard one before today...I'm just lovin' this...'lil wonder why this pup has been on this guitar for a quarter century.

Weight on this '18 is just shy of 6 lbs...that's truly some Heritage magic....thX all for the well wishes!

IMG_9051_zps48956c91.jpg

IMG_9041_zps22b59502.jpg

IMG_9048_zps449331b1.jpg

IMG_9052_zpsa6253140.jpg

IMG_9064_zps460fb65b.jpg

IMG_9065_zps3acd163e.jpg

IMG_9072_zps1465dd38.jpg

IMG_9069_zpsd04ce29c.jpg

IMG_9075_zps04ca9f40.jpg

absolutely gorgeous 2b - congrats! TI bebop are also my favorite strings for Jazz guitars - best of all worlds IMHO.

Enjoy this beauty! ... it is funny that you are with 2 blondes now given that you're on record saying that blonde is not your favorite color for arch tops. Maybe there is something special going on with Heritage blondes :-)

absolutely gorgeous 2b - congrats! TI bebop are also my favorite strings for Jazz guitars - best of all worlds IMHO.

Enjoy this beauty! ... it is funny that you are with 2 blondes now given that you're on record saying that blonde is not your favorite color for arch tops. Maybe there is something special going on with Heritage blondes :-)

Thank you Frank...I couldn't agree more, in by book those TI Bebop Rounds truly are the "best of all worlds." It took me some time to adjust to them over flats, but after hearing the difference in tonality they provide, I could never turn back.

Nope, I'm still no Blonde fan...no matter the maker. Meh! :)

But I'm a practical feller....and if I have to close my eyes while playing, then so be it.

However, to mend mental fences, I recently treated myself to a Brunette of sorts in a GBJSA...in Sunburst...2b likes!

Fullbody_zps5c918916.jpg

Archived