Heritage Owners Club

New camera. Same old 535.

High Flying Bird

After a week of learning the new camera, a Fuji X100T, I found myself comfortable enough to do some serious photos tonight. I set up a tripod and took these in manual mode with a tripod.

This little camera is a serious tool. Like I said in another post if you want to check out this camera next summer in Kzoo I will be glad to accommodate.

Full gallery here:

http://www.ronwarren.com/535-fuji/

dscf0362_std.jpg

dscf0372_std.jpg

dscf0389_std.jpg

dscf0394_std.jpg

.....same old "spectacular" H535!

Great pics. So much fun getting to know capabilities of a new acquisition. I bet you'll have plenty of opportunities for photos in the upcoming weeks.

Enjoy both that beautiful guitar, and new camera!

Lovely colours - I notice from the gallery you've used the "Velvia" setting. Have you tried the other film simulations?

I have tried them all. I am partial to the Velvia and the B/W with red filter.

Ron, I have ALWAYS felt that you are one of the most gifted photographers I have ever seen. I really mean that. I visited your website and looked at your fine art prints again. Man, I just can't imagine you not maximizing and capitalizing on the talent you have. Like when I hear some of the stuff my kids play on their instruments and then they go and waste countless hours with video games.... I think, "If I could play like that, I wouldn't do anything else.".

I feel the same with you, "If I could shoot like you do, I wouldn't do anything else."

I know photography is a hard way to make a good living, but I hope you recognize how gifted you are at it.

Ron, I have ALWAYS felt that you are one of the most gifted photographers I have ever seen. I really mean that. I visited your website and looked at your fine art prints again. Man, I just can't imagine you not maximizing and capitalizing on the talent you have. Like when I hear some of the stuff my kids play on their instruments and then they go and waste countless hours with video games.... I think, "If I could play like that, I wouldn't do anything else.".

I feel the same with you, "If I could shoot like you do, I wouldn't do anything else."

I know photography is a hard way to make a good living, but I hope you recognize how gifted you are at it.

I really appreciate that coming from you John. You are so meticulous with the things you do. I know I have a gift but like you say it's a hard business to make money in. When I was a pro for 2 1/2 years I made my best/most money doing team photos. A lot of people are good at that. It's a tough market. As for the nature shots, if a frogs momma want's a print..... There is practically no money there from people.

Lance sent me an art history book a few months ago. I now realize that photography is an accepted art. This tiny camera will let me do photography for art's sake without having to carry around a bunch of gear.

Kuz, you need to save up some Kuna and buy one of these. You won't sell you Nikon gear but you will love this camera. ;^)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1080889-REG/fujifilm_16440616_x100t_digital_camera_silver.html

IMG_448584.jpg

There's a lot to be said for using a camera with a fixed prime lens. At first glance it might appear limiting, but working within the limitations forces you to take more time and think about what you're trying to accomplish. The Fuji X100/S/T is a great camera for general use - I'm not going to be using my X100 for gigs, but for documenting life it's hard to beat.

I really appreciate that coming from you John. You are so meticulous with the things you do. I know I have a gift but like you say it's a hard business to make money in. When I was a pro for 2 1/2 years I made my best/most money doing team photos. A lot of people are good at that. It's a tough market. As for the nature shots, if a frogs momma want's a print..... There is practically no money there from people.

Lance sent me an art history book a few months ago. I now realize that photography is an accepted art. This tiny camera will let me do photography for art's sake without having to carry around a bunch of gear.

Kuz, you need to save up some Kuna and buy one of these. You won't sell you Nikon gear but you will love this camera. ;^)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1080889-REG/fujifilm_16440616_x100t_digital_camera_silver.html

IMG_448584.jpg

IMG_448584.jpg

You definitely have caught my attention with this camera, that's for sure!!!

I have tried them all. I am partial to the Velvia and the B/W with red filter.

Ha! Velvia. That takes me back. Back in 86 or so I was involved with a studio where we shot all 4x5 and 8x10 Velia Chrome. It had more of a magenta cast (like Kodachrome) whereas the Ektachrome was quite blue.

The red filter in B&W increases the contrast and darkens blue sky / water, etc. If your camera has a setting for infrared you may want to play with that. If it is a true sim you will notice that their is no correct exposure value. Under or overexposing your "film" will change the effect from crisp to a milky / dreamy effect. IIRC I had to use a red filter in conjunction with it but that was a lot of years ago so I could be totally wrong. It does wonders for model's skin tones /textured too but makes their eyes look wicked. Which is also cool.

I've been thinking about getting a better digi since I sold all my film gear years ago. I got so burned out that I've just been using a Cannon that is about the size of a deck of cards. Those 300 / 2.8 lenses were no fun. It looked cool though.

ETA: Your camera reminds me of the Leica rangefinders. I always enjoyed composing on ground glass. The LCD is similar that way.

Great shots Bird, you do have a gift. And a beautiful 535 by the way.

That Fuji looks cool. So it's a serious camera in a point and click size? I have a decent Nikon but the lenses are so expensive and it's big and bulky to travel with..I'm still working with the stock lens (I did get that flash you recommended..thanks). Do these Fujis do wide angle and zoom pretty good?

That Fuji looks cool. So it's a serious camera in a point and click size? I have a decent Nikon but the lenses are so expensive and it's big and bulky to travel with..I'm still working with the stock lens (I did get that flash you recommended..thanks). Do these Fujis do wide angle and zoom pretty good?

The X100/S/T cameras have a fixed 23mm f2.0 lens (equivalent to a 35mm on full-frame or 35mm film), so no zoom or wideangle. I have the X100 (the original model), which has a 12MP APS-C sensor. The X100S and X100T are both 16MP and feature improvements over the original X100. However Fuji has expanded the X-series with cameras (the XT-1, X-Pro 1 and XE-1 for example) that take a variety of lenses, mainly primes but with some zooms available. The lenses are very highly regarded - some say they're better than equivalent Leica lenses...

Fantastic work, as always, Ron. It makes me want to apologize for all of the crappy pics I've taken over the years at PSP and had posted. It's amazing that that little retro looking camera can be such a powerful tool. Enjoy it, brother.

Yes, a compact with punch. Like Bob says below it has a fixed lens but if I need wide angle or telephoto my Canon gear is in the safe ready to go.

Linda spent all day Saturday amking christmas candy. I wanted to get a pic of some of it before she stored it away. I love the way the tiny area of focus is so sharp and the blured out areas have a pleasing look to them. Check out the Christmas tree lights in the background. I love the way the blur turns into round dots.

dscf0414_std.jpg

I'm not a photographer (among many other things I'm not), but I seem to recall that pleasing blur is called "bokeh." You have a way with photos, Ron. Is it hard to get used to a new camera?

Out of curiosity, are those chocolate covered cherries?

Yep, Bokeh. I didn't want to use the fancy word for it. ;^) It took me about a week to become comfortable with the new camera. Just holding it steady was a learning experience.

Also correct about the chocolates. Jack Daniel soaked cherries and jalapeno chocolate. Ummmm......

Linda spent all day Saturday amking christmas candy. I wanted to get a pic of some of it before she stored it away. I love the way the tiny area of focus is so sharp and the blured out areas have a pleasing look to them. Check out the Christmas tree lights in the background. I love the way the blur turns into round dots.

dscf0414_std.jpg

If anyone needed an illustration of the meaning of "shallow depth of field" this would do nicely! How many of those chocolates went missing before they were stored away...? :laughing7:

Archived