Heritage Owners Club

Tell me about H550s (pics welcome)

fxdx99

The other day was in the car listening to a local public station spinning a blues tune. The requisite guitar solo came on and I thought 'now that's a nice woody/full sound'. Comes to a close and DJ says 'and that was Johnnie Basset'.

Now it may not have been his 550 I heard on that track, but I've had a passing interest in them. And being I have zero full hollow, full bodied, humbucker loaded guitars there's a spot on my rack just waiting to... well wait, I've actually no room at all for another guitar, but that's beside the point now isn't it?

So... tell about 550s. Like em, don't like em, what Gibson model are they similar to, how are they different from said Gibson model? Post a pic of yours.

I know they have a long scale, laminated top, dual humbuckers, and the TOM is attached directly to the top (in other words, no wooden base).

That's about all I know. I played one once and like it. I think your 525 hollow body is more practical and fits more live situations.

I just put in an order for a H-525 with humbuckers and TOM on a rosewood bridge.

Won't be ready for about 3-4 months but anxious to see how it sounds.

I think John is right about being more practical but that is entirely your call.

One better than an H549 and not QUITE as awesome as the H551. haha.

It is really a very nice guitar. I was lucky enough to have wandered into a store where a fella just happened to have one with him... and he was kind enough to let me play a minute. I was very impressed at just how much the laminated 550 sang! Very nice indeed.

I just put in an order for a H-525 with humbuckers and TOM on a rosewood bridge.

Won't be ready for about 3-4 months but anxious to see how it sounds.

I think John is right about being more practical but that is entirely your call.

Sweet! I have heard NOTHING but top notch things about the 525.

Ah, Yooper - the inlays thru me, thought it was a 550, but the headstock/bridge/cupid bow sure look Eagle don't, they...

John/Paul - why more practical? Smaller size you mean from a physical/playability perspective... or in sound (or both)?

Secondary thing is I've been toying with putting a bigsby on. Suppose could do that with the 525, but have held off. Just like that guitar 'as it is'. 550/bigsby seemed a bit more 'gretschy'...

And the thirdly thing is there's a local guy here, awesome blues player that has both an L5, a Barney Kessel, a 535, and an LP. the L5 in particular and the BK to kinda the same extent have that 'big' sound over the others. They all sound grand... something about the big hollow bodies...

Ah, Yooper - the inlays thru me, thought it was a 550, but the headstock/bridge/cupid bow sure look Eagle don't, they...

Isn't that a picture of a Super Eagle?

John/Paul - why more practical? Smaller size you mean from a physical/playability perspective... or in sound (or both)?

Size and Feedback issues with a larger guitar

Isn't that a picture of a Super Eagle?

Size and Feedback issues with a larger guitar

As far as sound I've only played them with P-90s.

I'm anxious to hear it with humbuckers.

If you are used to a 24.75 scale and the smaller body and rim width would be more comfortable.

Feedback will always be an issue with a hollow body but that beast can always be tamed.

Here's a 1994 H-550 I had, post makeover (Nashville bridge and pick guard refinish.)

3903734455_628cc9277e_b.jpg

On the plus side, it was well made with nice action. The guitar played very well. .011 Boomers felt pretty slinky. The Lami top and the bracing pretty much killed any acoustic qualities compared to an Eagle, but amplified it sounded big and strong.

On the minus side, it was surprisingly heavy. The pickups were rather dark. Had I kept it I was going to install Lollar Low Wind Imperials.The strings between the bridge and tailpiece made a bit of racket while you played due to sympathetic vibration. The neck was on the thin side. This is the reason I moved it along. I had it 10 years and probably played it a total of 10 hours. I just couldn't get along with the neck.

Here's a 1994 H-550 I had, post makeover (Nashville bridge and pick guard refinish.)

3903734455_628cc9277e_b.jpg

On the plus side, it was well made with nice action. The guitar played very well. .011 Boomers felt pretty slinky. The Lami top and the bracing pretty much killed any acoustic qualities compared to an Eagle, but amplified it sounded big and strong.

On the minus side, it was surprisingly heavy. The pickups were rather dark. Had I kept it I was going to install Lollar Low Wind Imperials.The strings between the bridge and tailpiece made a bit of racket while you played due to sympathetic vibration. The neck was on the thin side. This is the reason I moved it along. I had it 10 years and probably played it a total of 10 hours. I just couldn't get along with the neck.

Very nice. This is one of the coolest H550 I've ever seen.

Best Hollowbody guitar I have ever owned! You can jazz it up, play the blues, or straight rock out. The H550 can do it all.

Yup. Big box with a big voice. I just wish mine would have had a big neck.

Yep, Johnnie Bassett played a big old Super Eagle. He didn't play loud, so feedback didn't seem to be an issue for him.

But the H-550 you asked about is a fine hollow body in its own right. Since its a lam top/back, it doesn't have that nicely arched body like its carved, solid wood Eagle brethren.

They sound great both acoustically and plugged in. When I owned a big blonde 550, it was my favorite couch guitar. It would have been even louder had I used wound strings, but I preferred flats.

It resisted feedback better than any solid wood archtop, but could howl with the best of them if pushed. The Gibson Tal Farlow and ES-5 models are the closest cousins to the H550.

Here's a shot of my old H550. (I miss her!)

gallery_8_136_516273.jpg

Archived