Heritage Owners Club

The maple H575 vs The spruce/mahogany H575 vs my Soloway Gosling plank

jimsoloway

These are three versions of an excerpt from my arrangement on Little Wing. It began as an exercise in recording stereo reverb using a TC Electronics Arena reverb pedal (an OEM version of the HOF). The first version was done with my Soloway Gosling tuned to standard pitch. The second version was done with my spruce/mahogany Heritage custom long scale H575 with the 2 1/4" body tuned down a step. The third was done with my original custom H575 with the longer scale length, a maple body, the standard 2 3/4" thickness, also tuned down a full step.

The comparison of the two custom H575's is especially interesting since they have so much in common: same scale length, same neck dimensions, same pickup, different thickness and body woods. The Gosling is very much an outlier, as much for the standard tuning as for the different woods and construction methods. It does have the same pickup though (a DiMarzio 36th Anniversary).

https://soundcloud.com/jim-soloway/stereo-reverb-test

https://soundcloud.com/jim-soloway/stereo-reverb-test-2-with-the-archtop

Two final comments ... First there is no EQ or post production of any kind on any of these three tracks. What you hear is exactly as they were played and recorded. Second, I really like what this recording method with the stereo image is doing. It seems to give everything much more depth of field and feels more like what I hear in the room playing through my amp.

Gosh Jim, is it ok to say that I really like all 3 ? They're all quite different from one another. I think if I were playing solo to an audience I would use the mahogany 575, #2. It sounds very full and complete to me. If I were playing with a bassist I would definitely use the maple 575. It is more clear to my ear with a little less bass than the mahogany. If I were just playing for myself with no one around I'd probably use the Gosling just because I like the sound.

I like the second clip more than the others, because I think it had has a little more low mids that give it warmth, but the reverb may be building up a bit too much

mids, I like the clarity of the third clip, but it seems a bit thin in tone, which I think would become strident in extended listening. I fight this kind of think a lot when

I try to determine which guitar to play at my gigs, which would be the Mahogany back and sides J45, or the maple back and sides J100 Xtra. I usually am reaching

for the low mids on my mixer when I bring the J100 Xtra although it sounds great on some of the open tuned finger-picked songs.

So long story short, I think you can make either work but they both would need a little tweaking at the mixer for the balance of clarity to warmth. Both of the Heritages

seem to better suited to the type of music you are playing. Another thing I've noticed consistently when recording is that I would rather use a plug in for reverb that

has EQ because most reverb tend to hype the lower mids. My favorite 'verb is the Waves Renaissance Plug which is pictured below....

Noticed the Reverb EQ (Hz) box on the upper right. You can set the orange maker for where you want the reverb to take start, to cut out all the low and low mid

frequency buildup, and the blue point for the high frequencies you don't want to affect! This makes for a very natural reverb that doesn't screw too much with the

basic tone of your guitar.

Reverb_rverb.png

Pretty arrangement. They all are pleasing... I kinda like the middle one if pressed to pick just one. A bit lower register in it... slightly warmer. Do enjoy the crispness of the 3rd one, tho, too.

For me, the third one is the choice, I like the extra bit of air on the top end. It feels more balanced overall. Sometimes I hear jazz guitars that are just dull sounding, and they really need just a bit of sparkle. That one has it, plus the nice full bottom.

That said, the PLAYING is what makes them all! Excellent job, Jim. You have a really nice touch. :icon_thumright:

Hi guys. Thanks for all the comments. I posted the two Heritage versions in a couple places and it's been interesting to see the responses. The move to archtops has been a big shift for me and learning both how to get comfortable with them and how to record them has been a challenging process. I've always been a big believer in the value of comfort and playability and as much as I love the sound of the maple bodied guitar, getting comfortable with a guitar that size was really difficult for me. Comparing these recordings, the maple is my pick but the spruce/mahogany with the body is a much more manageable guitar so it gets almost all of my playing time (the Gosling has become my teaching/demo guitar since it's the only guitar that I have in standard tuning). It leaves me with some unanswered questions about what role each of these guitars is going to play for me but it's a happy process picking between guitars that sound this good. Musically, these guitars work for me and I find myself getting closer and closer to what I had in mind when the process began.

It leaves me with some unanswered questions about what role each of these guitars is going to play for me but it's a happy process picking between guitars that sound this good. Musically, these guitars work for me and I find myself getting closer and closer to what I had in mind when the process began.

I have been on a similar journey myself, especially considering my two favorite giggers are the same wood combos as your two Heritages. And I think that the maple has a clarity that is sedutive, but that spruce/mahogany has a beautiful warmth to it. Tough choice for sure!

Archived