Heritage Owners Club

NCD

gpuma

New Vintage Mesa Boogie cab day.

I have been looking for one of these for ages as they have all the features I want:

- Vertical 212, so I don't need to bend down to read the knobs

- lower half closed back ported with vintage EVM12 speaker

- Upper half open back with black shadow MC90

- Bad ass look.

These cabs are not easy to find as they are generally very well loved by their owner. I had a WTB thread here and on the boogie forum for some time with no success.

I was super happy when I finally spotted one on CL, I agreed on the price and everything and then the guy disappeared only to email me few days later saying that he was in Hawaii till the end of March. In the meanwhile he kept the CL ad on. Not cool. But right when I had lost my hope a guy from the boogie board contacted me, a personal friend of Randy himself from Petaluma, CA.

Super nice guy, who really tried to be helpful. Not the best packer in the world however as the cab suffered some slight damage because of poor packing. Not a big deal, I am so happy it is with me now.

Enough with the words...

DSC_0067_zps8udra0oh.jpg

Cool! Congrats.

Is that the cab with a closed. ported bottom and and open back on the top?

I have a question:

The jack plate allows for each speaker to be connected individually in a stereo setting with two amps or for a mono connection with both speakers connected to the same amp.

Each speaker is 8 ohm, so plate calls for 4 ohm in the mono settings.

These are the original speakers, however the previous owner put 2 16 ohm speakers in and when he reinstalled the original speakers instead of wiring them in parallel for 4 ohm resistance, he wired them in series. Without even opening the half back I know that because I used a meter on the speaker cable and read 16 ohms.

Now, I could simply use the 8 ohm output of my amp and leave it like that with a safe impedance mismatch.

But my question is, what changes sonically? anything? Of course it is not a big deal to rewire, I am just curious to learn.

gpuma - It's safe to run a 16 ohm cab with the 8 ohm setting on the amp. There is a power loss when doing so. It won't give as much clean headroom so, if you run loud, you'll get breakup sooner. If you run the amp at lower volumes, you probably won't notice a difference.

Archived