Heritage Owners Club

Blues Deluxe Question(s)

CJTopes

Was the D-Vip wiring standard issue on those?

What were the stock PUPs?

Whats the going price on the used market?

Any personal likes or dislikes?

I'm looking for a smaller semi hollow and I'm looking at this or a Gibby 339. I'd prefer a Heritage but dont know anything about these accept for the fact that it has a through block instead of the floating block on the prospect.

The D-VIP was an option on the Blues Deluxe.

CJ, the BD IS a Heritage Guitar. Ed was able to order in the 100's, so he pretty much got what he wanted on them. But, they are still at heart a Heritage Guitar. The one I played led me to ordering my own. If it's a good price, go for it.

I have a Prospect and a Blues Deluxe. I like them both, but I like the Prospect a bit more because of the floating block -- it sounds noticeably more "hollow" -- a somewhat richer tone, IMO. I never have feedback problems with it, although I don't play nearly as loud as some people do. But the Blues Deluxe sounds good too.

The VIP system is something you can add to a guitar if it doesn't have one and you like it, or remove from a guitar if it has it and you don't like it. Mine has it.

And you don't need to get a Blues Deluxe to get a solid center block -- you sometimes see Prospects with a solid center block (although that is not the default). And surely heritage would build one for you.

In my experience, a used Prospect or Blues Deluxe can be had in the $1200 - $1600 range, but of course this varies widely based on the guitar and market conditions at the time. A new Prospect is much more, of course.

They are both great guitars and I play them both a lot.

Thanks for the info. I dont have a specific axe picked out yet. I'll probably have to sell something first to make this happen. All I know is that i do not want the D-Vip wiring...

I wouldn't want the D-vip system either... There is a reason why more people play 335s than 345/355. The switching systems add weight and honestly don't sound that good. I preference this by talking about the Gibson systems on their 345/355s,

I have never been happy with the tones that come from push/pull knobs.... Always a compromise in tone.

Do you think that Push Pulls effect the tone when not engaged?

I have that set up on both my Millie DC and my S-G. I was considering it on a Prospect/Blues deluxe also. I dont like the D-Vip system because it takes away one of your tone pots if I'm not mistaken.

Somebody had a DVIP at one of the PSPs. Seems like the effects were minimal at best. And like Kuz, I'm not sure it really adds much. Even if our own Rendall created it. I've also had split coils on an H555 Custom. Didn't care for that either. Does this BD already have it? If you dont use it, shouldn't matter I'd think. A few more wires, something else to break. But shouldn't be that noticeable not engaged.

Do you think that Push Pulls effect the tone when not engaged?

I have that set up on both my Millie DC and my S-G. I was considering it on a Prospect/Blues deluxe also. I dont like the D-Vip system because it takes away one of your tone pots if I'm not mistaken.

Probably not.

I am just not a fan of coil tapping and out-of-phase switches. I just don't think they sound like a good single coil guitar or a real magnet flipped humbucker.

No the dual VIP was not standard on all Deluxes. When I bought mine I talked to Ed while they were doing a change of strings and a setup. He said he was glad to see that one go since he didn't do any upgrades to mine. He usually liked to order them with ebony boards, block inlays and the dual vip. I have seen a quite a few pop up for sale with rosewood boards like mine. He also ordered quite a few with Bigsby's. In the used range I would say between 1200 to 1500. There currently one for sale on Ebay for 1800 and I would say that is in the high range. I have stock Schaller pups, nothing stamped on bottom of them, so your guess is as good as mine what kind they are.

• 3 months later...

Hello all,

I'm new here and have only a few basic questins about the Prospect vs the Blues Deluxe.

Before anyone flames me for being biased... I'm trying to be completely objective as possible.

First, on the Ed Roman guitar site his Roman Vintage Custom Blues Deluxe is supposedly taken from a single wood cut that's super thick. I automatically think of that as it'd be unreal.

Secondly- the site claims 'his' BD is over 1" thick of solid Maple while everyone else uses plywood.

http://www.edroman.com/guitars/rvc/bluesdeluxe.htm

I'm here to learn before I'd even consider dropping 1.5K on anything.

I know doing a test demo is best but forewarned is also forearmed as I haven't asked the Ed Roman people yet. I'd rather hear it from players than salesmen.

Awesome.

Thanks all.

Ed has passed away. Is the business still open? They cut ties years ago with Heritage. Maybe they have Nos. I don't know. I'd find a used one or if I had the bucks have the boys build one to spec

I bet a Prospect with P90s would kill

The new "Blues Deluxes" are Eastman guitars and are made in China. They look like sweet guitars but I'm saving my cash and ordering a Heritage.... (unless I find that right used one)

Yes Ed's shop is being run by his daughter. He has his custom shop building a semi model and Eastman building another one. His custom shop model starts at 3k. Don't know how things there are run now, but in the past I would say think long and hard about buying from them.

Regarding the solid wood vs "plywood" argument, its a bit of a red herring! Heritage doesn't buy "plywood" and use it to cut bodies. Guitars like the 535 and 525, which are termed laminate top guitars actually are made from laminates that are made in house. They will take 3-4 sheets of thin wood, such as maple/basswood/maple. The wood is glued together and then pressed in a machine which will create the proper arch for that guitar. They also carve some guitars from solids pieces of wood. It depends on the model and what properties they want. Laminates are more resistant to feedback. Its not a case of one being "better", just different.

Wow!

You guys are awesome.

Thanks so much for the replies.

So unless there's a good used Prospect I'll steer away from anything new from Roman.

I'll be lurking about in other forum topics and look forward to learning more about Heritage.

I was researching more about Prospects/Blues Deluxe and was positively blown away by the sounds coming from a Heritage Millennium.

I'm so brand new and still researching before I'd even drop serious coin but this video had enough punch to sway my consideration away from a Prospect and towards a Millenium. I see why you guys are sold on Heritage.

So if you guys would; can you PLEASE identify (exactly) the guitar in the video, so it's Heritage Millennium DC (I'm not obsessed with the DC or color variation aesthetics) but much more specifically the switch options (D-Vips?) and how common are used Milleniums and what price range I'm looking at;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkHy9AXWy8g

Call me a tone geek but man, oh man... those options are insane and especially because of the wide variety of music I'd like to play from late-night bluesy sounds to early R&B and British blues. I'd even try to mess with some George Strait sounds if I could get a smooth jazz sound for western swing. There's some killer blues potential out there with so many songs.

Sorry for the longer post but these tones are killer!

Thanks all.

That is my old Sunset Burst DC, originally bought and sold by Paul, another member. Now residing with a Veterinarian in Michigan.

Paul order the guitar with Ultra top upgrade, VIP2 wiring upgrade, HRW pickup upgrade(No longer available)... what a honey of a guitar!

In case your interested! Had a lot of outstanding feedback on her at the festival, Yooper made her sing me into a trance.

http://www.heritageownersclub.com/forums/topic/29584-2001-vsb-vintage-sunburst-millennium-dc-seymour-duncan-p90-phat-cats-nearly-lemonburst/

Call me one of those fanatics.

Since I'm only doing the research without the funds, (aka dreamer, for now)... I have time to save, errr spare?

How often are guitars exactly like that available (minus color variation) with the VIP2 wiring upgrade, HRW pickup upgrade?

Who knows, maybe the vet will be ready to sell in a year or two. That would be a keeper! Waiting that long for a special and unique sound. SOLD! To the over excited guy down front! Woo- hoo!!

I'm coming from the acoustic world so these things are new to me. Does this guitar have a floating block or solid?

However- (if I ever got crazy enough) I've done some research and found some killer humbuckers wired to mimic the Peter Green sound.

https://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/main/pickups.php?cat=humbuckers&sub=vintage&pickup=pg_blues

Would I be stupid to buy them because if they're wound to be out of phase in the "center" position? Will that take away or add to the other tone variables from the VIP2 wiring set up?

Awesome y'all.

Later.

If you're referring to a Millie, it's neither floating or solid. They are chambered. There is a block that goes from the tail end of the guitar up to the bridge. (for the mounting screws). Everything else is hollow underneath. IMO thats what give these guitars there unique sound.

I personally wouldnt get those pickups to be out of phase. That can be obtained with push pull switches while still keeping the standard pick up configuration.

Coolness.

Thanks for the helpful reply.

I was wondering about the floating block or otherwise. The tone is very awesome and unique.

After watching different videos, I couldn't figure it out. Some floating sounds had a sweet tonal ring and some solids had a vibrato which helped with a clear and bright tone but the Millennial sound was/is awesome. It's all about the balanced sound for me I guess.

Also noted about the out-of-phase option.

Archived