Heritage Owners Club

Can I determine what pickups I have using the serial number?

asharrow

If they're not listed on the tag inside the body then you'll have to remove them the next time you change strings and look at the back side of the pickups. I would assume you have Duncan 59's or Duncan Seth Lover's.

Sorry. No, the serial number won't tell you what pickups are installed.

But in looking at a photo of your 555 , it has 2 screws per side .. which would tend to indicate Schaller pickups or HRW pickups ( which are customized Schallers )

When Heritage installs HRW pickups , they install a tip with a dot on the pickup selector.. which yours doesn't have.

Unless the Label inside the guitar says HRW pickups, it's likely to be Schallers.

( of course the way to verify is to look at the bottom of the pickups themselves )

gallery_20995_506_422132.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

On my H-555, I looked at the tag inside and it is Yellow in color, says "Heritage Guitars Custom Shop" and hand written text says "H 555", "Burnt Amber", and with what looks like "V04402" which is the same as the serial number that is on the back of the head stock.

So I guess the only way to know what pickups are installed would be to remove them, which I probably will never do because the guys that built this guitar are way smarter than I and frankly it sounds great on all amps and amp settings.

Plus my bass player and drummer have said that they can actually here some individual notes on some songs much clearer that they did not hear so much on my Les Paul and my Strats.

If you like the sound, don't mess with it! On a fancy guitar like that, it's possible that it had HRW pickups installed, and that someone lost the special switch tip, or swapped it out. My Kahuna was like that.

Anyway, all you would need to do is remove the 4 mounting screws on the neck pickup, lift it out and look on the bottom for a label. I also believe that the HRW pickups are potted after ren works is magic, so there may be some wax you can see around the pole pieces.

On my H-555, I looked at the tag inside and it is Yellow in color, says "Heritage Guitars Custom Shop" and hand written text says "H 555", "Burnt Amber", and with what looks like "V04402" which is the same as the serial number that is on the back of the head stock.

So I guess the only way to know what pickups are installed would be to remove them, which I probably will never do because the guys that built this guitar are way smarter than I and frankly it sounds great on all amps and amp settings.

Plus my bass player and drummer have said that they can actually here some individual notes on some songs much clearer that they did not hear so much on my Les Paul and my Strats.

I would bet almost anything on based on the facts now given....

1. With the two adjustment screws in the pickup rings they are Schaller pickups (Heritage didn't use two adjustment screw pickup rings with other brands of pickups like Seth Lovers) so they are Schaller pickups

2. Heritage would write "HRW" on the inside tag that has the serial number when they used their HRW pickups. Plus if they were HRW pickups they would have put a white dot on the pickup selector tip.

So you have a fantastic guitar with Schaller pickups, ENJOY!

Archived