Heritage Owners Club

Low Watt Tube Amp

Yooper

I'm considering getting a low watt tube amp under $500. Something good for classic rock, blues and jazz for quieter sessions and easier portability.

So far I'm looking at these:

Vox AC4C1-10, Vox AC4C1-12, Vox AC4-TV

Fender Ramparte, Super Champ XD, or X2

Anyone have suggestions before I go to a big box store and try to listen to a few there?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Vox AC4-TV is a wonderful practice amp that goes from clean to crunchy but will never keep up with a drummer.

The Ramparte, while very cool looking, did nothing for me sound-wise. The small Vox amps you mentioned didn't trip my trigger, either. The AC15 is a great sounding amp, but pretty big, and HEAVY! I had/really liked the Super Champ XD, but, and correct mue someone, if I am wrong, I believe that the different preamp voices are all digitally produced with only the power section being tube driven. Very small/light, sounds really good. I like my heavily Billm modded Fender Blues Junior, and it can give decent tones at relatively low volume, but I'll never come close to getting my money back out of it, and, detractors are right; for a little more than I spent for everything, I could have had a better amp. Depending on how small/quiet you are talking, the Peavey Classic 30 used is a great buy, with two channels.

Finally, my suggestion to cover all the bases you mentioned would be the non-tube Mustang III. As long as you are going to a music store to kick the tires on some amps, do yourself a favor and give one a whirl. While the little Mustang I I sold you can sound pretty good for what it is, the 12" speaker in the III, and the ability with the LCD screen to see your settings much more easily make it a great little amp that, if you watch the sales for a 20% off coupon, you can get one for about 1/2 the price you are thinking of spending. Just some thoughts.

I'm considering getting a low watt tube amp under $500. Something good for classic rock, blues and jazz for quieter sessions and easier portability.

So far I'm looking at these:

Vox AC4C1-10, Vox AC4C1-12, Vox AC4-TV

Fender Ramparte, Super Champ XD, or X2

Anyone have suggestions before I go to a big box store and try to listen to a few there?

The cheaper circuit board AC15C1 sounds great at low volumes because it has a full size reverb tank and a master volume, and it's giggable when needed. It also has a very nice tremolo! I don't normally like circuits board amps, but damn these things sound great. And they are totally reasonably priced. I don't know about the Fender Ramparte but the Superchamps have digital front ends, and smaller speakers. I actually own a Superchamp XD. And it sounds pretty good but nowhere near the same league as the Vox. I know you said you had a budget of $500 so you would have to find a AC15C1 used to fit the budget, because the AC15C1 sells for $629 new but they are they best bang for the buck under $1000 amp I've heard. And used prices go between $350 and $500 for ones in great condition. Check the reviews where it is really hard to find one under 4 stars, and yes, they do sound that good. Vox listened when people complained about the bright front end, and the crappy reverb, and also started putting Celestion greenbacks in them. They really brought it up to par. Just to remind you, here's a blues clip with my H150 that I posted with the AC15C1 I had. I only sold mine to get the hardwired version which frankly is more of a one trick pony, good trick, but still...

(this test wasn't much louder than speaking volume)

I hate to comment on recommendations because I'm certainly no tone expert. I can only relay my experience in having owned two of the amps mentioned above.

Love my Vox AC15C1 for anything classic/alternative rock. Great tones that don't sound as brittle at lower volumes as my other amps, but gets loud enough that I don't need to mic it at rehearsals with our heavy handed drummer.

The only thing I would say is that if you are looking for something small and light, it's not that. It's pretty heavy for a 15 watter. It also gets dirty pretty quickly with humbuckers. I like the breakup that the AC15 produces. I suppose opinions vary on that.

The complaints I hear all seem to expect it to be something it's not. It's not a Deluxe Reverb, it's not a Plexi. It is what it is and I kinda like that.

That and cheap tubes. Swapping tubes made a very noticeable impact on the tone and if I can tell, you know it's a big difference.

Bought mine under $500 used.

------------------

My daughter has the Superchamp X2. It's light, versatile and pretty cheap used. We swapped out the speaker for a Rajun Cajun and it made a huge difference for some of the higher gain voicings. At lower volume, I really like some of the tones it has without being too complicated. I've never messed around with all of the software stuff. I hooked it up once and decided that I prefer to turn knobs on an amp to get where I want it to go. Spends a lot of time on the clean channel, where it gets a very respectable clean sound.

Pros that I find are:

Light- It's a grab and go amp for sure. Twice as heavy with the new speaker. Still very portable

Versatile- Clean to high gain are all accessible pretty quickly (and easily). Onboard effects are passable for some things, especially if option B is toting a pedalboard around with you.

Cheap- Not a very popular amp for Fender so they go pretty cheap on CL. I found one for a friend under $200 used.

Complaints on the x2 are:

Digital Pre-amp. It still sounds good to me, but I think at some level you can tell.

Tubes and speaker are pretty cheap. Easy to swap out. Extra $ though

There's a price you pay for all the stuff they pack into the amp at that price point.

I'm in the same position so this is a timely post. The little vox amps (I don't consider the AC15 little or very portable) are nice IMO, and I've been looking for a good deal on one. A bit more of a 1 trick pony than the champ I think--at least the few I have played can't be played very clean at higher volumes (which doesn't bother me but might not work for your jazz playing?).

The only amp smaller than the VOX AC15C that I like is the VOX Valvetronix series of amps. Hybrid... one tube with solid state combined and a whole bunch of different amp modeling options on a rotary dial. Very affordable.

Yes, they are great for what he is describing. I had a Vox AD50 Valvetronix that sounded very good at low volumes, but could get REALLY loud. Still, with it's MDF cabinet construction, the thing was very heavy, just like the AC15. Of course, they make smaller ones, too.

You didn't ask for this, but these goofballs put a bunch of SS practice amps head to head. I wish they had had these options when I started. Quite a bit more options than the Peavey Rage 158 I started with..

Yes, they are great for what he is describing. I had a Vox AD50 Valvetronix that sounded very good at low volumes, but could get REALLY loud. Still, with it's MDF cabinet construction, the thing was very heavy, just like the AC15. Of course, they make smaller ones, too.

You didn't ask for this, but these goofballs put a bunch of SS practice amps head to head. I wish they had had these options when I started. Quite a bit more options than the Peavey Rage 158 I started with..

If you skip ahead through all their videos it came down to the Roland Microcube and the Fender Mustang II. Both of which I like, but only had the Mustang II. The tiny lunchbox amp you had (Yamaha?) sounded pretty darn good too.

At that $500 price point, your options for a variety of good used Fender or Vox or other amps is pretty broad. (Pro Jr., Blues Jr., Blues Deluxe, Super Champ, Vox AC15, etc.)

Go to your local big box store and test drive what they've got...then check Craigs List or Ebay or TGP for what floats your boat.

Thanks, all for the good options to consider.

That Marsh 5F1 5 Watt kit package looks delightful, if I were only more adept at assembling it. I'd probably solder my finger into a tube socket... :icon_joker:

I do love the AC15, but it weighs as much, and is about the same size, as my Deluxe Reverb. It would make a good alternative companion to the DR, so I can't rule it out. I'd still like to try out the AC4 12 for comparison. I see they make a hand-wired version of this. Hmm. Better save up some more cash for that notion.

I've played a Super Champ XD and it almost works...maybe a tube and speaker upgrade would do the trick. Ditto for a Blues Jr. Maybe a Princeton Reverb is what I really want... Back to the saving cash route.

Luckily my immediate grab and go needs are filled with my Roland Cube 60. This is also perfect for jazz, so I can focus more on blues and rock for the low watt tube. This would primarily be for recording and low intensity jams.

Since there is no urgency, I may as well take my time, try a few out, and wait for a good deal.

That Marsh 5F1 5 Watt kit package looks delightful, if I were only more adept at assembling it. I'd probably solder my finger into a tube socket... :icon_joker:

I do love the AC15, but it weighs as much, and is about the same size, as my Deluxe Reverb. It would make a good alternative companion to the DR, so I can't rule it out. I'd still like to try out the AC4 12 for comparison. I see they make a hand-wired version of this. Hmm. Better save up some more cash for that notion.

I've played a Super Champ XD and it almost works...maybe a tube and speaker upgrade would do the trick. Ditto for a Blues Jr. Maybe a Princeton Reverb is what I really want... Back to the saving cash route.

Luckily my immediate grab and go needs are filled with my Roland Cube 60. This is also perfect for jazz, so I can focus more on blues and rock for the low watt tube. This would primarily be for recording and low intensity jams.

Since there is no urgency, I may as well take my time, try a few out, and wait for a good deal.

AC4 Hand wired sounds great, but no trem or reverb, and that's what makes the AC15C1 so good:) And yes, it is heavy, no doubt abut it , but it does the low volume thing GREAT!

The day this thread was posted I was looking for small watt tube amps to try for myself.

Today was the end of the process and Im still none the wiser or closer to buying one.

I didnt like any of them until today when I ran them all through a Marshall 2061cx cab and then they all sounded pretty damn good.

I just dont like the sound of little speakers or cabs it seems.

Mesa Transatlantic seemed to be a stand out but for some reason other than size Ive never thought of them as a small amp. Or cheap.

I'm seriously considering buying one of those kits. The difficultly level is supposed to be beginner....

The difficultly level is supposed to be beginner....

I would be at the "pre-beginner" level. :icon_smile: The Marsh 5F1 5 Watt kit is a great option, though.

Archived