Heritage Owners Club

5F1 or 5E3?

Both are legendary amp circuits in their own way. Which is "better" really depends upon your intended use. Want a low power (~5W) practice/bedroom amp with vintage class A "tweed" tone and can live without a tone control? The 5F1 is a stellar choice. Classically, this amp would use an 8" speaker, so you don't get a lot of bottom, but you can always plug into a larger speaker or cabinet.

Need a bit more power (10 - 12W) and want a treble cut tone control? The 5E3 "Deluxe" wasn't the most popular of the Tweed-era amps for nothing. Its overdriven tone is what made it famous, and a big reason that it breaks up so easily is that it doesn't use any negative feedback circuit. So if you're looking for clean headroom, neither of these amps is really going to scratch that itch. But I'll assume you already know that.

But you can have the best of both worlds, if you have decent soldering skills and can follow a detailed set of assembly directions. Check out the Tweed Royal amp kit at Buildyourownclone.com: http://buildyourownclone.com/collections/amps-cabs-1/products/tweedroyalheadcab Available in head or combo kit form, it combines 4 classic Tweed amp circuits in a single unit: 5F1 Champ, 5E3 Deluxe, 5F2A Princeton and 5F10 Harvard. A great design that gives you incredible flexibility to dial in the Tweed tone of your choice. Here are a couple of photos of my Tweed Royal head:

TR_front+back.jpg

TR_chassis+panel.jpg

How does that give you a combination like that????

Because of a clever switching design in the controls.

You'll see on the white standby switch that there are two switch modes from the middle standby setting. One selects single-ended (SE) mode, like the Champ uses, with a single-ended output transformer and using only one of the two 6V6 output tubes. Selecting the push-pull (PP) mode activates both 6V6's and runs their output through a separate push-pull OT.

The Tone and Cut (variable negative feedback) controls both switch off and are disconnected from the amp circuit at the full CCW position, so you can opt to have either, neither or both active with whichever of the SE/PP modes you're running. So between the various combinations of the two modes and these two controls, you can cover the range of those four Tweed-era circuits, not to mention a few more combinations and "in-between" settings that Fender never offered. Pretty slick design!

One of each...but they must have a speaker out jack that can be hooked up to an extension cab to really hear the tone and volume they are capable of.

I've thought the same thing.

I'll bet you have.

A 5f1 kit would be a great way to cut your teeth as a builder; and they have great tone. Funk 49 is all Champ with an 8" speaker.

Then I'll need a Stratocaster too.. :icon_thumright:

EVERY guitar player needs a Strat! Some just haven't embraced this reality.... ;)

Then I'll need a Stratocaster too.. :icon_thumright:

You're telling me you don't have one in the stable?

That's hard to believe....You always told everyone here you were a strat guy all the way!

EVERY guitar player needs a Strat! Some just haven't embraced this reality.... ;)

I've tried several times...

I've had a long going love affair with Strats... I keep lovin and leaving 'em....

th_TEXMEXBLKPG.jpg

th_3452061B-F7A8-49E6-BF30-423E40D5369F_

th_0515121736-1.jpg

th_image_zpsd123de07.jpg

th_e85bed290a194bd077caf8d4f8060424.jpg

th_2012-06-07092816.jpg

th_DeluxeStratFullColor.jpg

th_7459eff4a6d3fcf819d1bb90b546aae7.jpg

th_ac8479c97fc82ae93caa998a5208653f_zpsf

Also had an American Deluxe 50th Anniversery which I cannot find a picture of....

i am a huge 5e3 fan for bigger sound with a more bottom and tone control, but both are great. 5E3 delivers great interesting "cleans" at lower volume and a wonderfully full and complex overdrive sound that is unmatched.

It really depends on how you plan to use it. Neither amp is especially high priced. In a smaller room, or mic'd, a champ is a great little practice or recording amp. A 5e3 is going to provide a broader, more tailorable range of tones and can be jumpered for even more options. It's a classic tweed amp that works for lots of music and will have more bass, and put out higher volumes. They are a little bigger and cost a bit more money.

If I had to pick just one and use it as my only amp, I'd go 5e3.

I'm not so sure there's a justifiable business model. From what I see, the boutique amp business isn't making any body rich.

As a hobby, it could be cool to build your own -as long as you keep your day job.

I'm not so sure there's a justifiable business model. From what I see, the boutique amp business isn't making any body rich.

As a hobby, it could be cool to build your own -as long as you keep your day job.

Never said I'd make a living out of it... Just be fun to do.

Never said I'd make a living out of it... Just be fun to do.

I was responding to this.

I think we need to get KBP810 to build them again. Skip the custom shop work and just build 5F1, 5E3, and 6G15's.... Steiner can make the custom cabs...

I think we have a great business model to work with!!!

But if you're thinking of doing your own build, I agree, it could be fun.

Archived