Heritage Owners Club

Brought home a beauty yesterday!

littlepaully

So, I found a pristine 1994 Golden Eagle someone had been keeping under their bed, in its OHSC and with the original paperwork.

After 18 months of searching, putzing, researching, test driving and forum crawling, and waaay too much hemming and hawing with my fellow archtop nerds about custom builders, Gibson throwbacks (and originals) and a personal inventory purge to fund it, I ended up coming home to Heritage (again).

All I had to do was drive out there and sit down and play it.

When it's right, it's right - am I right?

It's the second Heritage for me (b/w a 1998 H-575), and I just wanted to thank all you guys for your sharing your info and commentary on the HOC forum: it really helps keep it real!

post-19585-0-04655800-1432220097_thumb.jpg

Beautiful. I can't imagine anything that would make it more perfect. Wrap your arms around the best.

That is a stunning Heritage... stunning in it's execution, elegant in it's demeanor, and rich in it's musical heritage.

I'm sure that it has the warm tone to fulfill your expectations....

That is a beautiful guitar, for sure. Congratulations.

I have a question: Do you think the lack of a tone control will help or hurt the "performance" of that guitar? I owned a Gibson ES-165 Herb Ellis without a tone control and didn't like that feature. Beautiful guitar, but trying to control the tone at the amp didn't work for me. What's the key to this?

Just curious.

That is a beautiful guitar, for sure. Congratulations.

I have a question: Do you think the lack of a tone control will help or hurt the "performance" of that guitar? I owned a Gibson ES-165 Herb Ellis without a tone control and didn't like that feature. Beautiful guitar, but trying to control the tone at the amp didn't work for me. What's the key to this?

Just curious.

I love the sound of my Johnny Smith through a Peavy Classic 30. But I have tried it through several other amps and can't really settle on any settings that work. So, I am interested in this topic as well. So I'm selling the amps that don't sound good to me with this guitar.

Did you try anything between the amp and the guitar, or in an effects loop to alter the tone?

My guitar sings so stongly at the hight end, I think I may understand why I used to notice a lot of jazz guitarists playing with the treble controls rolled way down or off on their amps.

Rich

I used the new GE on a job last night with a Quilter Aviator (8"), same amp and settings as I use with my late 40's L5. Sounded great, IMO (got a number of real positive comments on the new axe from the guys).

Truth is, I haven't missed having a tone control with the L5, and I didn't miss it last night with the GE (western swing, standards all night). Maybe I'm just really easy to please?

I have found an LR Baggs pre-amp/D.I. is a nice to have, but I don't use it all the time, mostly just for the Notch and for a board feed.

Hope that's helpful!

I used the new GE on a job last night with a Quilter Aviator (8"), same amp and settings as I use with my late 40's L5. Sounded great, IMO (got a number of real positive comments on the new axe from the guys).

Truth is, I haven't missed having a tone control with the L5, and I didn't miss it last night with the GE (western swing, standards all night). Maybe I'm just really easy to please?

I have found an LR Baggs pre-amp/D.I. is a nice to have, but I don't use it all the time, mostly just for the Notch and for a board feed.

Hope that's helpful!

Sometimes at home I'm tempted to trim a little off with the tone control, but out at the gig I end up needing all the tone I can get. My current stable of arch tops all have them now (wasn't always the case) but as a rule I leave them in full open.

On jazz boxes, I find myself rolling back the volume pot a bit, to get the warm tones and rarely use the tone control. It stays wide open.

A tone knob is a welcome addition if the amp and the room call for more EQ adjustments.

Archived