Heritage Owners Club

Comparing a 555 to a Millie DC

Jazzerous

I had a 535 with a bound Head stock and reluctantly sold it . I have been looking for another but this Mille DC has popped up . Can somebody help with the diffs between the 2 models ? Good and bad ?

Thanks Mike

I had a 535 with a bound Head stock and reluctantly sold it . I have been looking for another but this Mille DC has popped up . Can somebody help with the diffs between the 2 models ? Good and bad ?

Thanks Mike

Sorry I meant to ask if the tonal Characteristics might be 90% the same I understand the exterior dimensions diffs but some of the Semi hollow guits can be confusing with the internal blocks and no blocks etc . Plus the Millie DC's are just not that prevalent. I don't live near a Heritage dealer to demo the guitars myself . I am asking wisdom from those that have played both bodies.

A 555 is semi-hollow, it's sides are constructed by bending a thin strip of wood into shape. A Millie is not a semi-hollow in that sense, but what some people call a semi-solid. It is constructed by starting with a solid piece of wood and routing out the middle. The sides end up being much thicker than a semi-hollow.

To me, a true semi hollow has significantly more "hollow sound" than a Millie. But a Millie will sound more hollow than a solid body.

You can even tell the difference between full hollow, semi-hollow with solid center block (touching the front and back) and floating center block (touching only the top). While you may not live near a heritage dealer, you should be able to find each type of guitar at any large music store (except maybe the floating center block), and the difference should be similar. I would suggest playing higher quality guitars with these characteristics, not the lower priced ones, for a true comparison -- your evaluation would not be skewed by low quality pickups, etc.

I find the size plays a big factor in play-ability too. To me, the smaller Millie is much more comfortable to play than a full size 555/535. Even though I like the more hollow sound of the 555, I will pick up the Millie more often because of the size. The Prospect is in between, and to me, it feels better than a 555, but is still a bit uncomfortably big.

What I would really like to find is a true semi-hollow / hollow the size of a Millie. I don't think anyone makes one. All of the ones I've seen that are the Millie size, advertised as semi-hollow, are really semi-soild, like the Millie.

I have a Millie SC, and a H535. Both fitted with HRWs.

The tone is very similar, except that the 535 seems a bit more open. The Millie has a smoother, creamier tone to my ear; more akin to an H150.

just for informative purposes:

add a top, a back and a neck to this and you have a millie

imagesqtbnANd9GcSJbfkrohCWB2GyvQoBgjqTac

add a laminated top and back, and a neck to these and you have 535/555

P1130203.jpg

this photo gives you a nice size comparison on the two different models.

P1130230.jpg

happy hunting

just for informative purposes:

add a top, a back and a neck to this and you have a millie

imagesqtbnANd9GcSJbfkrohCWB2GyvQoBgjqTac

add a laminated top and back, and a neck to these and you have 535/555

P1130203.jpg

this photo gives you a nice size comparison on the two different models.

P1130230.jpg

happy hunting

That should be a sticky.

I have a 535 and a Millie DC. If you are looking to replace a 535 I wouldnt get a Millie. Both are great guitars but to me there is a world of difference. My Millie is much brighter sounding and doesnt have the full low end as my 535. Not that a Millie DC is bad in any way. I mistakenly almost sold mine a while back and I'm glad that I didnt.

IMO they are two completely different animals. Each with their own qualities.

CJ is right (at least based on my experience) - I had a millie, wanted it for the smaller body, hoping it would give me what I get from my 535's and as pretty as it was (the millie) I sold it and haven't looked back (but then again, I am in love with my 535's. Depending on what you are looking for, the millie may / may not be for you - but it certainly doesn't replace a 535. Good luck

Archived