Heritage Owners Club

Heritage 525 16 frets to body

caseyt

what is the logic/reasoning/advantage of the neck joining the body at the 16th fret unlike the "traditional" 15th fret? Does it make it more or less balanced feeling? I'm thinking of buying one (have not found one to try out anywhere local .. Portland, OR) but am concerned about that 16th fret thing throwing me off on an archtop. Or maybe I should just get a Millie.

Any 525 owners with humbuckers out there?

Thanks for any and all opinions.

I had a 525, and I still have a 575 and a Golden Eagle. I never noticed where the neck joined the body on the 525, it never bothered me in the least. The 525 is an incredible guitar. The Milli is great too. But they are apples and oranges in comparison.

Ditto on Kuz's comments. I have his old 525, and I couldn't tell you which fret it meets the body. I just play until my hand bangs on the body. 1 fret wouldn't make much of a difference. As for balance, I can't see how 1/2" difference on the neck length would change the balance. A bigger heavy headstock would make more difference to me!

H525%20Body%20Small.jpg

When I 1'st initiated & designed the model H525 I sent Marv photos of 2 of my old Gibson's. He then made 2 prototypes- his & mine, which I still have. I also sent him a copy of an old photo of himself as a teen scraping binding on an old ES125.

I was very pleased with the prototype, but asked Marv if we could adjust the neck outward a tad for better upper fret access & he agreed. So, following the 1'st 4 H525's this change was made. One of the problems with the old ES125/225's was their weak & oft failing neck-body joints. By making the Heritage a bit thicker we accomplished a much stronger neck-body joint, which Marv said made the adjustment possible.

I initially spec'd a floating Rosewood bridge, which I like. Marv called me & suggested the same type metal bridge used on their H550. I said let's try, and it works GREAT! So, we began ordering as such. I am proud of the H525 and players often praise them.

My prototype is a treasure.

Jay Wolfe

Jay, Jim, Git, Rich, Kuz, thanks for your replies ...

Has anyone tried a 525 with humbuckers?

with an old Triumph with a floating P90 and a 50s ES 125, I was thinking a humbucker guitar would be more justifiable and I love the size of the 525.

Has anyone tried a 525 with humbuckers?

Yes- We've delivered them with HB's, P-90's(standard setup with Lollars), TV Jones's, single HB...so far

Dumb question: Wouldn't an H-525 with humbuckers be the same as a 575, but with a 2 1/4" rim?

According to the Heritage sight, the specs of these two instruments are very close:

575's are 16" body width, 24.75 scale and come stock with a 2 3/4" rim

525's are 16" body width, 24.75 scale and come stock with a 2 1/4" rim

Dumb question: Wouldn't an H-525 with humbuckers be the same as a 575, but with a 2 1/4" rim?

According to the Heritage sight, the specs of these two instruments are very close:

575's are 16" body width, 24.75 scale and come stock with a 2 3/4" rim

525's are 16" body width, 24.75 scale and come stock with a 2 1/4" rim

Isn't the body on the 525 made from formed laminates rather than solid carved woods?

Isn't the body on the 525 made from formed laminates rather than solid carved woods?

If I remember correctly only the top is laminate. Actually I am fairly certain every Heritage is solid wood (rims, sides, back) except a few models with laminate tops (for tonal reasons).

I don't think they make any guitar that doesn't have solid wood except the top on some models.

Archived