Heritage Owners Club

H 150 question!

Aris

Hello everyone! New to the group as well as a recent owner of a used gold top h 150 made in 2007. The gold finish has started to "break" and some lines have appeared..should I be worried? Is it usual at goldtops? And also does anyone know what kind of pickups do these models come with? Thank you!!!

HI Aris,

Welcome to the HOC. Got any pics to post? Checking happens. Some think it adds a bit of mojo. Probably have Schaller pickups. Do you have dual screws per side on the pickup surround? It might be marked on the cover plate, as well.

Lets see this "new" GT.

For some reason Gold Tops have a finish checking issue. Purely cosmetic of course. Mine just looks more vintage now, and I don't have to worry about dings.

Pickups are likely Schaller, if humbuckers and Lollar if P-90s.

The Lollar P-90s work well for me. Others want more vintage styles. Either way, it's a fresh sounding alternative to humbuckers.

Lollar http://www.lollarguitars.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=p90-pickups

P-90® Soap Bar Style Pickup

The P-90 everyone is talking about. Scatter wound pickup with de-gaussed Alnico 5 bar magnets. A fatter P-90 tone with smoother treble. Sounds like an old P-90 rather than a new pickup that still has some hard edges. Great for fat clean tone or harder driving rock with more grind. Neck and bridge will be equal, or bridge slightly hotter when playing single notes. Sold separately, or available in matched 2 or 3 piece sets. RWRP sets for hum-canceling operation. Single conductor, braided shield lead wire.
Neck 8.2K, Middle 8.73K, Bridge 9.1K

Thank you both very much! So it's a mojo thing then.. It's ok with me, if it's just that, since I'm planning to keep this one for life!i 'll post pics as soon as I can. My pick ups have one screw on the side..but the plastic cover doesn't mention anything except the model and " wal BNR"...any idea what that means??

Thank you both very much! So it's a mojo thing then.. It's ok with me, if it's just that, since I'm planning to keep this one for life!i 'll post pics as soon as I can. My pick ups have one screw on the side..but the plastic cover doesn't mention anything except the model and " wal BNR"...any idea what that means??

"Walnut finished (stained mahogany) back & rims." Prolly one of mine when new as I special ordered many with the optional Walnut stained back. Congratulations. The underside of the pickups will tell you what they are. We ordered them with several Duncans, and not always the same set.

Jay Wolfe, Wolfe Guitars

• 2 weeks later...

I am withholding official welcomes until pictures are posted (unofficial not as good welcome sent ha ha)

Many ways to post pics, I opened a photobucket account, upload your pics to there, then copy the "direct link" from your pic on photobucket. Then click on the green square icon on our reply toolbar, paste the link there and you're done.

Heritage Goldtops are some of the nicest finished out there. Yours may have been done by Floyd Newton (RIP) who did the original GTs in the 50's. Checking is part of the magic IMHO.

here's a good article:

http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/Builder_Profile_Heritage_Guitar

"Patrick Whalen, a local artist who has been with the company for four years, and Floyd Newton, who painted the original Gibson Les Paul goldtops in the early ’50s, shade and finish Heritage guitars."

Archived