Heritage Owners Club

H575 Amp Recommendations

Hello All,

I realize this could be a very broad topic that needs lots of qualifiers, but there is such huge diversity of possibilities I'm pretty overwhelmed and would like to narrow down the field a bit. I am pretty much a fingerstyle blues and jazz player that isn't into heavy distortion too much. That being said, I would like some FX capabilities. I'm sort of thinking of maybe a 20 watt combo (though I would look at a 50) and I guess a single 12" speaker, though I'm open to suggestions here too. I'm not too concerned with price, I already have a cheap acoustic, and need to upgrade. I pretty much play in intimate settings. I'm probably leaving something out, but that ought to get things started.

Thanks a lot for your help,

Ken

P.S. I love my 575!

You've pretty much described a Fender Deluxe Reverb style amp in your post. Although, since you may be playing small venues, a Princeton Reverb or similarly small combo might be even better. Those are my favorites (other than Heritage Amps, which are much harder to find.)

If you want built in effects, you might consider one of the many solid state or modelling amps. My favorite grab n go is the Roland GX80, but I'd love to hear one of the JC40's with their stereo chorus.

575's are amazing jazz boxes for the money...and will sound great through most any clean amp.

I was thinking Fender too. Good, clean sound and a nice foundation for pedals.

I Love the 575s too! They sound wonderful through a Soldano SLO full stack.

Makes me smile just thinking about it :)

You've pretty much described a Fender Deluxe Reverb style amp in your post. Although, since you may be playing small venues, a Princeton Reverb or similarly small combo might be even better. Those are my favorites (other than Heritage Amps, which are much harder to find.)

If you want built in effects, you might consider one of the many solid state or modelling amps. My favorite grab n go is the Roland GX80, but I'd love to hear one of the JC40's with their stereo chorus.

575's are amazing jazz boxes for the money...and will sound great through most any clean amp.

Yup, Gitfiddler read my mind and I am flattered as he is much more knowledgeable regarding amps than I am, one of our experts I'd say. Reading the title, I was going to say a Twin Reverb as my 575 with Seths sounds great through my 73 Blackfaced Twin which luckily is on wheels and I do not have to leave the house with it. Reading the op's requirements, I came up with the Deluxe Reverb option as well.

I suppose there are many options out there, some of the Heritage amps would fit the bill as well although they are rare. I just noticed one pictured above ha ha.

some kind of a Fender circuit IMO

although Fernando had a little 5w vox tube amp that sounded GREAT for clean jazz stuff, at PSP one year

so you could probably get that & mic it if you play live, or get a bigger Vox..AC30 1x12? has trem & verb, great cleans and can also get dirty with a MV

So many would work well. The Fenders mentioned here would in particular. Deluxe Reverb certainly. The other natural choice for a 1x12 is the Vibrolux reverb (blackface or silverface, not the later CVR model.)

My favorite amp with the H575 custom is an Allen Encore head with pine 12+10 cab. The Encore is essentially a Vibrolux reverb with some very useful enhancements: master volume, two knob reverb, tube bias tremolo, single channel, a "raw" knob which selectively dials out the tone stack. David Allen's amps are so well thought through and voiced. The Encore - as with the original BF vibrolux reverb - has a just right size OT, so the edge and overdrive sounds are rich and smooth.

For sheer versatility and convenience, it's hard to beat the DR type amp. Mine is DR-inspired, a Gries 20. Once again, MV and even better reverb. Very few situations don't work with the H575 and an amp like that.

MD

The big advantage of the Fender sound for Jazz,

either actual Fender or a clone,

and I, too, Strongly recommend you look at Allen Amplification,

see my earlier post in this forum re Fender sound,

is that the bright chimey highs and scooped mids provide nice clarity and articulation.

You can hear the individual notes in a complex chord, and subtle changes in voicings.

Plus, you have some bite in your tone, to be able to properly express a wide range

of emotions. Drive it hard and you can really dig into the spirit of Coltrane.

The mid-heavy Marshall sound is great for other styles of music, but I find it too muddy

for Jazz. The commonly used Cocktail Lounge sound, solid state amp with the treble

turned off, sounds dull and lifeless to me, and limits the emotions you can express.

Whatever you decide to go with, have fun!

Mr B

• 2 weeks later...

Archived