Heritage Owners Club

Advice on buying a second hand Heritage

Classyjoes

After starting to learn jazz this year a good couple of months of research I'm now convinced Heritage are the way for me.

I'm looking to buy a second hand 550 and just wondered if there are any considerations when the guitar was made as a reflection of build quality. I've noticed a lot of heritage guitars online from the early 90s, '93 in particular. Is this just coincidence or was that an era where the guitars they made were slightly less desirable for some reason? Also, they seem remarkable value around $2k, which came as a (pleasant) surprise especially as I've found older guitars have a warmer tone as they've been played in. is that a fair price for an early 90s heritage or reason to ask a few questions about owner history?

Thanks

There's no reason the early 90s would be any different from later models. They were doing a little more marketing back then, and probably more guitars were produced, (not that they were ever a large scale maker like Fender, Gibson, Ibanez, etc). I'm guessing there were more of the big box guitars then as well. That style seem to be their "passion" and they are VERY good guitars. I've got a 525 that is very sweet acoustically and plays like a dream. The 575 is very popular.

The 550 should be dynamite for doing jazz!

Good luck.

Welcome to the Heritage Owners Club! The 550 should make a fine Jazz guitar for you and any model year you can locate for sale will be a quality instrument. Good luck in your search!

H550's are amazing jazz boxes. They are similar in construction to Gibson's Tal Farlow model. Both are laminate constructed guitars, so their tops are relatively flat or have minimal arch. Also, the tone doesn't change much over time like solid wood archtops do. The good news is that the tone of a 550 is very smooth, both acoustically and amplified.

Also, since many Heritage guitars from the late '80's through '90's had relatively thin-medium C neck carves, it is a good idea to play the guitar you are interested in, or at least get an in-hand description from the seller.

Good hunting, and welcome to the HOC.

I had a 1994 H-550 and it was a fine guitar. My only complaint was the somewhat thin neck. It's my understanding that moire recent versions feature a little thicker neck. Note that I am a fan of huge girthy necks, so take my comments with a grain of salt. I'm sure most folks would find the standard neck carve just fine.

Gone, but not forgotten:

3903734455_628cc9277e_b.jpg

I had a 1994 H-550 and it was a fine guitar. My only complaint was the somewhat thin neck. It's my understanding that moire recent versions feature a little thicker neck. Note that I am a fan of huge girthy necks, so take my comments with a grain of salt. I'm sure most folks would find the standard neck carve just fine.

One difference is the standard neck profiles... The new ones include Tonepros and Duncans where the older ones had Schaller as standard equipment.

Enjoy

I recently bought a sweet 550 from Brentrocks. Keep an eye on his posts. Anything you buy from him will be sweeeet. (Actually buying from the majority of members of this forum should be a nice transaction.)

I recently bought a sweet 550 from Brentrocks. Keep an eye on his posts. Anything you buy from him will be sweeeet. (Actually buying from the majority of members of this forum should be a nice transaction.)

Thank you sir. I'm glad that 550 is treating you well!!!

• 4 months later...

Just purchased an H-550 blond used...[1994] and it is so sweeeettt. My luthier said he usually does not sit down and just keep playing like he did with mine. I have a tobacco burst H-575 but this one is in mho, nowhere as good as the H-550. I like both and perhaps they are just different. I have not had any time to really check them out thourouly yet.

Archived