Heritage Owners Club

Do some H150's have two piece backs?

Vanschoyck

Having studied photos of H150’s here and elsewhere these past several years I’ve noticed something that I haven’t seen discussed, and maybe it was before my time. It looks like many of them have two piece backs. Seems like the kind of thing that would drive a tone aficionado to look elsewhere. So, has anyone experienced the two piece back vs one piece? Or, anyone know why some is and some ain’t? Do the two pieces form a symbiotic symphony of tone or a jumble of bad juju?

My kahuna has a two piece back. It's a tad wider than a H150 though, maybe that's why. Most of the tops are two pieces. What's wrong with the body being two pieces?

I'll have to look at my H150CM next time I have it out, to see if it's a one or two piece back.

Kind of feels like a loaded roll here but I'd just be silly to claim that I can hear a difference in tone between a one or two pieced back. I personally can not. I can say that after owning a few of each types that I definitely prefer a one piece back for both aesthetic and resale purposes.

I'm fairly certain that the only reason they build 2 piece bodies is simply because the name of the game is to use up as much of the wood that they buy on guitars.

One Piece Bodies 4 LIFE!!!!!

You guys are all so reasonable. It just seems like tone chasers would have something to say about one piece vs two, similar to the way the type of glue and the truss rod plastic cover thing stir up an opinion or two.

I owned two L P's long ago. One was definitely a one piece back, and the other was a custom and was painted black so I never knew, and in those days this sort of thing never occurred to me anyway.

But, I think given a choice, I'd just as soon have one with a one piece back, but I can't tell you a good reason. At this point I'm not at all sure I wouldn't be happier with weight relief.

On guitars I prefer a single piece rear. On women, I prefer a two piece rear. :icon_silent:

But seriously, my most expensive solid body gits (Giffin Standard, Giffin T Deluxe and LP Supreme) all have two piece backs. :icon_salut:

Most 150s' I've seen are 1 piece. But there are plenty on 2 piece backs around. Although for aesthetic reasons I prefer a 1 piece, I've played some phenomenal sounding 2 piece backs.

I always take the "tone chasers" with a grain of salt. Unfortunately, there is no way to prove or disprove a lot of these issues. There are far too many variables involved to definitely say that the one piece body is always better than two piece bodies. Maybe somebody out there can really hear the difference. Maybe they can tell the difference between speed knobs and top hats, or the difference between an inlay logo and a decal.

...and maybe they have been reading The Gear Page and MyLesPaul forrums too long.

A modicum of tone chasing is alright, kind of what it's all about really. When I listen to demos the gear sounds great if it's played great and if not then not so much. But sometimes when they A/B things one can discern things, but usually no more than just the variation from one guitar or amp to another.

This reminds me of dating: mostly just hoping not to end up with the wrong one!

This one came out nice https://reverb.com/item/2432756-heritage-h150-2016-almond-burst-free-shipping

I always take the "tone chasers" with a grain of salt. Unfortunately, there is no way to prove or disprove a lot of these issues. There are far too many variables involved to definitely say that the one piece body is always better than two piece bodies. Maybe somebody out there can really hear the difference. Maybe they can tell the difference between speed knobs and top hats, or the difference between an inlay logo and a decal.

...and maybe they have been reading The Gear Page and MyLesPaul forrums too long.

A guy gets a guitar and runs it through 5 or 6 pedals and an amp. Who knows what the guitar really sounds like. ;^)

Most Heritage solidbodies are 2 Piece backs. It is simply easier and cheaper to make. It is hard to source good wood large enough for a one piece back. I doubt there is little to any tone difference, but I always order one-piece backs. For me, it cosmetic and also there is just something about the rarity of a one-piece vs a sandwiched two-piece back that appeals to me.

Most of the 50s-mid 60s guitars were one piece backs when they had larger quality of wood. Most of your highend boutique guitars are one-piece backs (unless there is unique figuring that they want a book matched look and use a two piece back).

If it were me, I wouldn't pay thousands of dollars for a two piece back, I would want the perceived quality of one single piece of wood. Tonally, I doubt there is much difference.

Most Heritage solidbodies are 2 Piece backs. It is simply easier and cheaper to make. It is hard to source good wood large enough for a one piece back. I doubt there is little to any tone difference, but I always order one-piece backs. For me, it cosmetic and also there is just something about the rarity of a one-piece vs a sandwiched two-piece back that appeals to me.

Most of the 50s-mid 60s guitars were one piece backs when they had larger quality of wood. Most of your highend boutique guitars are one-piece backs (unless there is unique figuring that they want a book matched look and use a two piece back).

If it were me, I wouldn't pay thousands of dollars for a two piece back, I would want the perceived quality of one single piece of wood. Tonally, I doubt there is much difference.

+2

Well said :good_mini:

+1 to what Kuz said

I doubt anyone could sonically tell the difference, but I suppose a 1 piece may be more desireable to cork sniffers

for me, I don't really care

although you could argue cutting a piece of wood in half and bookmatching it stabilizes it

no one seems to have issues with the tops/soundboards on acoustic instruments ( guitars, violins, cellos, mandolins ) being built that way

+1 to what Kuz said

I doubt anyone could sonically tell the difference, but I suppose a 1 piece may be more desireable to cork sniffers

for me, I don't really care

although you could argue cutting a piece of wood in half and bookmatching it stabilizes it

no one seems to have issues with the tops/soundboards on acoustic instruments ( guitars, violins, cellos, mandolins ) being built that way

Cork sniffers? I don't mind so much sniffing a cork or two, but that other thing, nothin' doing. And I think I agree with Kuz as well, that given the choice, and there appears to be plenty of choice, I would go for the one piece. Although at this stage of life I probably should be more concerned with weight. I may have to start a thread on weight relief. All of my arch tops are two piece top and back as is the tradition for those instruments and I certainly don't object.

By the way, thanks to everyone for your input.

Archived