Heritage Owners Club

Peavey Classic 50 problem

Joe

Hi all. I'm having a small problem with my 50. Twice now it has gotten staticky, then the volume slowly dropped to zero. I switched the standby switch off and on and the amp worked fine. Happened once during a gig and once at rehearsal. I opened the back, all the tubes are lit up. Any suggestions ?

Im pretty sure this isnt the best advice so take it with a grain of salt.

"Nearly" everytime Ive had a problem like that just cleaning the power and standby switch, input jack, fx loop in/outs and speaker input with deoxit or something similar generally gets things going again.

If this fails for me I sometimes spray the tube pins. Thats generally never had a worthwhile result though.

Thats all from the peanut gallery. :)

Im pretty sure this isnt the best advice so take it with a grain of salt.

"Nearly" everytime Ive had a problem like that just cleaning the power and standby switch, input jack, fx loop in/outs and speaker input with deoxit or something similar generally gets things going again.

If this fails for me I sometimes spray the tube pins. Thats generally never had a worthwhile result though.

Thats all from the peanut gallery. :)

I was thinking along those line as well. I did remove and reset the tubes. Do I have to remove the switches to clean them or just spray contact cleaner into them?

I had a problem similar with my C50 and it was one bad tube

Tubes come to mind for me too. In fact, how old are they?

Tubes are probably a year or so old. Maybe as much as two. I have a new set of power tubes. I'll swap those now.

I was thinking along those line as well. I did remove and reset the tubes. GDo I have to remove the switches to clean them or just spray contact cleaner into them?

just spray them and flick them on and off a few times.

I dont know if this is The problem though. Its just where i start before swapping tubes or spending money.

Hi all. I'm having a small problem with my 50. Twice now it has gotten staticky, then the volume slowly dropped to zero. I switched the standby switch off and on and the amp worked fine. Happened once during a gig and once at rehearsal. I opened the back, all the tubes are lit up. Any suggestions ?

I had a similar sounding problem with my Patriot a few years ago. It would have static when first turned on, and lose volume. A cycle or two and it would come back. It finally went out, and sounded like a dead short across the inputs. My repair guy found a bad resistor, (screen grid resistor If I recall correctly). He replaced the resistor, we put in a new set of Ruby tubes and its been solid ever since.

Archived