Heritage Owners Club

should we have a pedal board thread?

JeffB

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But a question did come up in my mind. I wondered if it were possible to put all the pedals out of sight somewhere and use a numbered foot switch panel to remotely operate the effects pedals by assigning each numbered switch on the foot board to a particular effect.

Indeed it is. One of my pedal setups (ha!) uses a couple of GigRig Remote Loopy 2's. The four modulation effects in the FX loop sit on top of the amp. The effects are always on, the Remote Loopy 2 boxes switch them in and out of the loop.

13350348_1143870259020095_88832829906248

The switches, wah pedal, Soul Food overdrive, amp footswitch and volume pedal are on a board which is on the floor...

13346233_1143870262353428_91047790541346

One of the useful features of the 633 amp is that the footswitch contains a 9V supply, which powers the wah, Soul Food and Remote Loopy footswitches' LEDs (these will still work if not powered, the power is just for the LEDs). I made the "Fav" switch for the Strymon Lex myself, which is just a remote Slow/Fast switch (an expression pedal can be used for continuous speed change). A separate 9V supply powers the pedals and Remote Loopy 2's on top of the amp. Having the pedals on top of the amp has two advantages - short cables for the loop and not having to bend down to change the settings, very important for the more "mature" guitarist.

GigRig's website is here. They have quite a range of products.

All we need is a good tech like the late great Brian Farmer. He worked for Warren Haynes in the Allman Brother, Govt. Mule and other bands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4hgaBKNGVDs

Brian gives us a guided tour of his gear and remote pedal switching system

That was some cool gear!

Indeed it is. One of my pedal setups (ha!) uses a couple of GigRig Remote Loopy 2's. The four modulation effects in the FX loop sit on top of the amp. The effects are always on, the Remote Loopy 2 boxes switch them in and out of the loop.

13350348_1143870259020095_88832829906248

The switches, wah pedal, Soul Food overdrive, amp footswitch and volume pedal are on a board which is on the floor...

13346233_1143870262353428_91047790541346

One of the useful features of the 633 amp is that the footswitch contains a 9V supply, which powers the wah, Soul Food and Remote Loopy footswitches' LEDs (these will still work if not powered, the power is just for the LEDs). I made the "Fav" switch for the Strymon Lex myself, which is just a remote Slow/Fast switch (an expression pedal can be used for continuous speed change). A separate 9V supply powers the pedals and Remote Loopy 2's on top of the amp. Having the pedals on top of the amp has two advantages - short cables for the loop and not having to bend down to change the settings, very important for the more "mature" guitarist.

GigRig's website is here. They have quite a range of products.

Seems like I am on the right track.

• 2 weeks later...

I am on a mission to eliminate as much electrical noise, hum, hiss as feasibly possible from my pedal board.

I am seeking your opinions on filtered, isolated, good quality 9V power supplies for guitar FX pedal boards.

I am considering this Voodoo Lab unit;

http://www.voodoolab.com/pedalpower_2.htm

Any experienced product suggestions from the group ?

Thanks - The True Tone 1 Spot Pro CS12 appears to have better specs and features than the VooDoo Lab Pedal Power 2 and they are within $10 of each other.

True tone provided a lot more detail on it's construction on their web page than the VooDoo Lab did.

How long have you had it?

Thanks again.

Approximately one year. It really solved a lot of problems on my pedalboard that I originally thought were signal cable related but in fact turned out to be noisy wall warts/power supplies. After mounting the 1 Spot Pro CS12 on the board ALL the noise simply vanished. It really sounds like a pro board now.

I kind of lament the loss of the big furmann and SKB pedal boards, with lots of onboard inputs, outputs, and power supplies. Now everything is more "build it yourself" and a bunch more expensive.

My thing is, the only effects I really use are reverb and overdrive/distortion, maybe with a bit of wah. I just need a pedalboard full of overdrive pedals.

Slightly related... (Can't figure out how to start a new thread so I'm responding to this one cause y'all are smart)

My family is telling me to shut up. Any advice on a simple guitar-->headphone-->eardrum solution for me and my 535? Ideally w some modest effects? I chucked my RockMan years ago :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slightly related... (Can't figure out how to start a new thread so I'm responding to this one cause y'all are smart)

My family is telling me to shut up. Any advice on a simple guitar-->headphone-->eardrum solution for me and my 535? Ideally w some modest effects? I chucked my RockMan years ago :/

Hey Craig,

Top of any main category, right hand side: Start New Topic. That'll get you there.

As for a headphone amp, a Giggles search shows Vox, Behringer, DanElectro and others make small, pocket sized amps that will drive earbuds. I recall the Vox thingies were pretty decent, the one time I tried one. My Zoom G3 has 1/8" headphones out - decent enough sims for that. Other FX boxes, may as well.

I have not played in a while. My current gear in Puerto Rico amounts to a telecaster and a Roland Micro Cube.

I remember very clearly the frustration I had with my board.

Once I get it back I'll probably sell everything and get something like a G-System and be done with the miles of cables, the signal loss, the troubleshooting and all that crap.

Quite a lot of multi-fx units have headphone sockets. I have an old Korg AX1500G which has a headphone out, and it has some decent effects in it too. They can be picked up fairly cheap.

Mesa Boogie has the cabclone that provides a load to the output transformer of you amp while featuring DI and headphone output, so you can use exactly your set up with headphones or silent recording. The caveat is that the headphones must be good to have a good result. Alternatively you could use the DI output to go to either a board or a computer and use that headphone out.

my (un)Pedal Board :-) as wide as the floor can be

Guitar -> CryBaby -> BK Butler Tube Drive -> Amp

FX loop: S -> Dunlop Tremolo -> CostaLab Echo -> R

Natural spring reverb from the amp and 2nd channel with some OD

I like the idea of a future solid state OD to be added like a ZenDrive or L'Overdrive(by VDL)

my preferred tone is the one I get from the amp OD and the Echo only

my H535 works great with that setting

post-17813-0-88661700-1471183997_thumb.jpg

Now THIS is what I'm talking about. A complete pro touring set up. Nice :thumbsup:

Yes, except for one small problem. I'm not a touring musician (I'm a lowly salesman). Just a hopeless gearhead.

What I meant was, a complete non-touring salesman's non-mounted tossed on the floor yet somehow still functioning setup. That's what I really meant.

I understood the first time.

Seems strange you had to explain it. :icon_scratch:

C'mon Tim!

Kinda digging the DG magicstomp in the pic. I had forgotten about it and am going through a weird nostalgia thing with guitars and stomps etc Ive had along the way.

Archived