Heritage Owners Club

New Amp Day: PRS HXDA 50w Head

HANGAR18

I'm done buying amps! You hear me? hhaha That's it! I'm done! I own every amp on the market worth buying. (At least that's what I'm telling myself.)

What the heck is an HXDA? Well, in as few words as possible, here goes... One amp which has two specific vintage Marshall amp clones inside it. Doug Sewell and Paul Reed Smith reverse engineered the Marshall amp which was used by Duane Allman during the now legendary 1970 Fillmore East concert. The amp uses hand made Cinemag transformers with imperfections deliberately recreated (because the transformers have some effect on the tone) and it has the exact circuit used int hat amp. The amp is also a complete clone of Jimi Hendrix's Marshall amp. Unlike normal Plexi amps, internal bridging through mini toggle switches allow you to select and blend each portion of each of the two clones at will.

The PRS web site puts it this way. "...British-inspired 25th Anniversary amp while capturing the iconic tones of late 1960’s and early 1970’s rock. The Cinemag output transformer proved to be the perfect match for the desired component specifications and the addition of three “HX/DA” switches (that essentially control the amp’s brightness and gain) add tonal flexibility by making key components “lead” specs. These features, along with the internally bridged bass and treble channels and separate treble and bass gain controls, allow considerable tonal variations from bright and crunchy to fat and smooth. “Presence” also comes standard on the HXDA for more tone-sculpting ability. This amp achieves a tone equal to the revered smooth, fat, singing, slightly less gainy tone of 1960’s and 1970’s holy grail amps."

HX = Hendrix, DA = Duane Allman. The main purpose, if not sole purpose of this amp is VINTAGE TONE. It's supposed to sound like those old amps. In a way, it's kinda a one trick pony in that sense. BUt it is a very interesting amp, it sounds like it is designed to and I even like the way it looks. I think it will take me a while to really get the hang of this amp. It is a very interesting and unique amp.

HXDA_0277.jpg

HXDA_0274.jpg

HXDAwPRS-3amps.jpg

Congrats on another world class weapon of tone Danny!

I learned about this HXDA head while reading an article about the recent PRS amp/guitar collaboration with John Mayer for the Dead and Co tours.

Damn near knocked the wrinkles out of my undies.

I MUST play one of these soon!!!

To original post:

IMHO to really get those particular vintage tone sets the amp is designed for YOU will absolutely NEED to procure the appropriate GLASS.

If you can afford the amp you can afford to finish the job... getting the tone sets the amp was painstakingly designed to produce requires some careful but very doable shopping... over time.

RFT/Siemens el34's are the vintage el34 go to's today, vintage Amperex or Mullard el34's, are at unobtanium prices, the RFT's have the harmonic-rich vintage tone.

For 12ax7/ecc83 and 12at7/ecc81 Mullard, Amperex, Siemens and RFT eurotrash will fill the bill and get you pretty much right freakin' THERE, careful ebay shopping will yield some nuggets for less than one might think. The preamp tubes in circuit being vintage is much more important than the power tubes. The vintage tube recipe is very important to get the vintage sonics coming out of the vintage circuits in that amp, period. You can't get that with Shuguang, JJ, Reflektor, or any modern production preamp or power tube, they might get close in some cases but a good pair of ears can easily discern the difference, particularly in the preamp, it's not even close...

JJ's will sound warmer than winged C in new production el34 types. The EH el34 is decently close to the Mullard tone set, rolled off on top compared to the Winged C/Svetlana. The new JJ el34 type is reputed to be an attempt to emulate the RFT/Siemens.

Finally, I'm admittedly spewing here only because the amp has so much potential, it's a "real deal" real deal.

Niiiiice snaaaaaatch!

Congrats on another world class weapon of tone Danny!

I learned about this HXDA head while reading an article about the recent PRS amp/guitar collaboration with John Mayer for the Dead and Co tours.

Damn near knocked the wrinkles out of my undies.

I MUST play one of these soon!!!

Stop by if you are ever South of the Potomac river and I'll set up the drums.

Archived