Heritage Owners Club

Delays, echo's

JeffB

What are you using? what have you heard or tried lately that got your attention?

Dont know why, I am quite fixated on delays and echo's at the moment. I think because everything else on the board seems to be pleasing in the context I use it.

Currently use 2 DD7's. They do what the wording on the box says. Just looking for something.....else....for......because ocd I guess.

:)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Strymon delays are considered among, if not the best, available. Check "rig rundowns" and often Strymon delays (and reverb pedals) are on touring guitarists boards.

I have both the Strymon El Capistan and the Timeline. The El Cap was more than sufficient, but the Timeline allows for presets & banks so I can step on to a different delay mid-song or go to a different preset for a different song.

I've gone the cheaper "mini" route on my verb and delays.

Just pulled a Danelectro Fab 600ms delay off the board, not because it didn't work but because I wanted to. Removed and sold the Fender '65 Reverb for the same reason.

Replaced the Dan with a TWA Flyboys delay. It works.

Replaced the Fender with a Mooer Sky Verb. I actually like this one a bit better than the Fender. Not sure why. Maybe because it's new. But the verb itself is pleasing to the ear. And does some pretty cool stuff on "cathedral".

Don't use this effect all that often, but do dig the Catalinbread Belle Epoch:

https://youtu.be/D8yLAvsUdyA

https://youtu.be/IkfPCX0vNwA

+1 for anything from Strymon, tho for me it made more sense to put the extra $ into a Vemuram Shanks 4k, which I use hella more :glasses2:

EHX deluxe memory man, big box version.

Mxr carbon copy.

The Memory man is so much more than a delay/echo hard to explain. It needs its own power supply, and it takes up a lot of room on the board. The carbon copy does slap back echo great and 70's arena rock delay perfect. It's on my small grab and go board.

I'm obsessed with the Source Audio Nemesis lately. Looks as dead simple or as complicated and deep as you want to make it. I don't use a ton of delay, but maybe I would if I could do all of that crazy stuff with it.

Yeah! I dont know why Ive over looked that one. Every time I see it in searches I flick to the next tab. I think the look puts me off! Weird.

Since I read your post Ive read about the nemisis and read some reviews, listened to some demo's and kind of like it a lot.

@ John, the things I liked about Strymon products are,

Very few warranty repairs,

No time wasted demo'ing them or any skill required to sell them. Just hand them over with a receipt once the cash or CC payment was made.

Strymon could pretty much set up a vending machines at various locations around the city. No other pedal company came close to the amount of walk in, slap down the cash, walk out sales.

I had the Flint and El Capistan. They have a definite flavour about them. Good pedals. Probably shouldve kept them and been done with it.

I 'm have both TC Electronics Delay and hall of Fame reverb. The delay sounds good, lots of features and settings. The HOF reverb is OK at best, at times almost sounds like a delay. I only use it if my amp doesnt have a real spring reverb. Digital is good but give me a spring reverb anyday....

Just bought a Catalinbread Echorec. Its cool but I think it takes a lot of experimenting to find a basic delay sound you like. 12 head settings, swirl, mix and delay time. But I like it and it sounds good.

before that was a basic Cmatmods delay pedal.

Just bought a Catalinbread Echorec. Its cool but I think it takes a lot of experimenting to find a basic delay sound you like. 12 head settings, swirl, mix and delay time. But I like it and it sounds good.

before that was a basic Cmatmods delay pedal.

That is one I've always intended to try. I still have my Cmatmods modded Boss OD-2. And used a Butah for many years. In fact, the Butah is hooked up to the practice rig right now.

The TC Electronic Flashback Delay is a good, versatile delay. The "Reverse Echo" setting is great for those psychedelic episodes... It also has the "Toneprint" setting for downloading artists' preferred settings. It retails for roughly the same as an MXR Carbon Copy in the UK.

The TC Electronic Flashback Delay is a good, versatile delay. The "Reverse Echo" setting is great for those psychedelic episodes... It also has the "Toneprint" setting for downloading artists' preferred settings. It retails for roughly the same as an MXR Carbon Copy in the UK.

The tone print is kinda cool. I downloaded one that Robin Ford made. (and now I sound and play just like him :icon_smile: )

The tone print is kinda cool. I downloaded one that Robin Ford made. (and now I sound and play just like him :icon_smile: )

Wait a minute!! Are you saying it's the effects, not the guitars can make us play and sound like our idols? If so, I've been doing it wrong for ages!! Or does that just work for sounding like Robin? I'm confused, now. :icon_scratch:

I have the Corona Chorus as well so i downloaded the Andy Summers "Walking on the Moon" Toneprints for both pedals. Just hit that opening chord...

After getting my Gretsch I figured I had to have a delay of some sort to get that classic vibe going. Never tried one before. Got a TC Electronics Slapback which I experimented with for a while but it never clicked with me for some reason. Gave up and returned it. Maybe I need to try again some time. Now where is that damn Gretsch??

Funny, I just spent time with the two dd7's using settings I had never bothered with, hold, modulation, reverse and connected an fs6 to the temp/exp input.

One of them is pretty cool all by it self, two together and within 15-20 minutes of tweaking you've pretty much have had a life time supply of repeats.

I mightve just killed the Delay/Echo GAS curiosity.

Im ok with that, I dont have a chorus. Or a phaser. Or a octave pedal. I dont have a good compressor. Theres still room to move.

Funny, I just spent time with the two dd7's using settings I had never bothered with, hold, modulation, reverse and connected an fs6 to the temp/exp input.

One of them is pretty cool all by it self, two together and within 15-20 minutes of tweaking you've pretty much have had a life time supply of repeats.

I mightve just killed the Delay/Echo GAS curiosity.

Im ok with that, I dont have a chorus. Or a phaser. Or a octave pedal. I dont have a good compressor. Theres still room to move.

I've never found a Chorus pedal that I actually like. I had a preset in my Boss GT-5 that I liked a lot. Turns out it wasn't a Chorus but a preset Detune. Now THAT was a great Chorus sound.

Doing Country it seems for a while that a Phaser was de jour (du jour?), uh, expected. Never got along with it. I've heard others here use them and thought they sounded dandy. But just not for me.

Compressors!! I've had so many of those. ARGH!! Again, expected to be used in Country. To me they just dumb down the sound. I know it's a tweaking thing. But playing Live I just can't use them.

Tracy has an older Digitech Octave pedal she got from her Dad. It's sitting on a shelf in her office. I think it looks great right where it is.

And of course, this is just my take. You may find some actual use for theses fx (fxes?) ... pedals.

I've never found a Chorus pedal that I actually like. I had a preset in my Boss GT-5 that I liked a lot. Turns out it wasn't a Chorus but a preset Detune. Now THAT was a great Chorus sound.

Doing Country it seems for a while that a Phaser was de jour (du jour?), uh, expected. Never got along with it. I've heard others here use them and thought they sounded dandy. But just not for me.

Compressors!! I've had so many of those. ARGH!! Again, expected to be used in Country. To me they just dumb down the sound. I know it's a tweaking thing. But playing Live I just can't use them.

Tracy has an older Digitech Octave pedal she got from her Dad. It's sitting on a shelf in her office. I think it looks great right where it is.

And of course, this is just my take. You may find some actual use for theses fx (fxes?) ... pedals.

I just bought another Ibanez semi. Curve ball, instant distraction and dismissal of lingering delay/echo gas. Just got back from picking it up. Sounds great without pedals. :) I love my amp.

Yeah, I know, I dont use effects other than the od effect. I just had a fixation going. Hate it when I get like that. Seems to be fixed now. HNGD.

Don't use this effect all that often, but do dig the Catalinbread Belle Epoch:

https://youtu.be/D8yLAvsUdyA

https://youtu.be/IkfPCX0vNwA

+1 for anything from Strymon, tho for me it made more sense to put the extra $ into a Vemuram Shanks 4k, which I use hella more :glasses2:

This sounds really good!

I recently got a Seymour Duncan Vapor Trail which I'm enjoying. I went with it for the size and because I wanted something with a loop I could color the echoes with.

Wait a minute!! Are you saying it's the effects, not the guitars can make us play and sound like our idols? If so, I've been doing it wrong for ages!! Or does that just work for sounding like Robin? I'm confused, now. :icon_scratch:

It's all in the gear... has nothing to do with talent, ability or practice...

• 3 weeks later...

I use a Marshall Reflector reverb pedal and a Marshall Echohead delay pedal. Purely and simply because they were affordable and bought used but in excellent condition. I am sure that there are better pedals out there, but I make them work for me.

I also own an Alesis Quadreverb but it was a waste of money, you need a degree in Astro Physics to work it out and get the right benefit from it! The pedals are far easier to use.

Archived