Heritage Owners Club

Delays, echo's

JeffB

Not a delay or echo, but I just picked up an EH Lester K which is a Leslie sim pedal. I've already got the Mini Deja Vibe and the Liquid Chorus, but I like the way the Lester speeds can be set for fast and slow.

For some reason, I don't do as well with delay pedals, Simple reverb seems to work just fine.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a delay or echo, but I just picked up an EH Lester K which is a Leslie sim pedal. I've already got the Mini Deja Vibe and the Liquid Chorus, but I like the way the Lester speeds can be set for fast and slow.

For some reason, I don't do as well with delay pedals, Simple reverb seems to work just fine.

How do you like it?

I had the Hughes and Kettner for a while and liked it a lot. I actually used it.

But it was too big!

I have a skreddy swirl, its a cool vibe, I like it but I cant find a place to use it. Its a distinctive sound, not as multi purpose as the Leslie effect.

I'm happily using a boutique echo pedal: http://www.costalab.com/en/shop/product/echolab(hand built and tested)

in the FX loop of my Fender Montreux

it's a BBD with a modern/vintage switch giving darker tone on repeats when on 'vintage' and simulating a tape echo

duble delay knobs can be selected via footswitch

versatile, does its job, offers a wide range of configurations and it's not a big chassis

maybe decals could be better managed

How do you like it?

I had the Hughes and Kettner for a while and liked it a lot. I actually used it.

But it was too big!

I have a skreddy swirl, its a cool vibe, I like it but I cant find a place to use it. Its a distinctive sound, not as multi purpose as the Leslie effect.

So far, I've only gotten to play with it for about 20 mins. Some nice sounds, but I need to learn how to control it. Maybe this week I can get time to try it against the H20 and the MDV2.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

for me an echo or delay is an essential nuance I'd like to have for my personal sound concept.

I did not check so many different pedals. Currently I am using the Boss DD-20.

It offers me a variety of possiblilies as well as 5 different settings I can choose from by tapping one of the two foot-buttons.

Usually, as soon as my ears and my feeling "confirm" a pedal, I'm keeping it on the board. Thus far it's the case for the DD-20.

Cheers
Ralph

I like a minimalist board, so picked up an Strymon El Capistan, as it can function as tape delay, as well as pull off reverb. Beautiful piece of gear though, very well made. Great rainy day item too, as you can spend hours messing with all the setting and discovering sounds. Like an instrument all on it's own

el_capistan_product_pic_zpstddnbu5u.jpg

If your lucky enough to have the first, anything else is a waste of time.

Searched for years to find one...then payed $650 bucks on ebay. I believe the unit was up and posted for about 15 minutes.

• 1 month later...

Loving this pedal

https://www.amazon.com/Catalinbread-Belle-Epoch-Guitar-Pedal/dp/B00F0694EW/ref=sr_1_2/161-6005152-4344314?ie=UTF8&qid=1481769542&sr=8-2&keywords=catalinbread

It sounds so much like an echoplex (supposed to have the same preamp).

Tried a bunch of pedals in the store. If you love the 80's era echoplex sounds without the hassle of tape and the advantages of something high tech. I don't think you could go wrong with this one

• 1 month later...

onpreview.jpge of these and one of these.

marshall-rf-1-reflector-reverb-pedal.jpg

They both seem to do a great job, bought them both used, one from a pawn shop for next to nothing because although it was as new it had no box with it. I am sure that there are others which are better, but these are fine. I love using the slap back echo for some Robackabilly, a style I am trying to learn.

For any of you music electronics DIY'ers, Buildyourownclone.com introduced a very flexible digital delay kit a few months back, called the Echo Royal. It's a dual PT2399-based delay, capable of 1.5 seconds (45 bpm) of delay time, with tap tempo, modulation, "trails", and several other useful features. Here's a video demo:

The product page is here: http://buildyourownclone.com/products/echo-royal

I built one when the kit first came out and it's been in my pedal chain since. The kit including all the needed accessories and a snazzy powder-coated enclosure (your choice of 6 colors) runs about $135 + shipping. A commercial delay with similar capabilities will run you 2 - 3x that amount.

I've spent time watching you tube demos on a few slow work days. I tried the TD Flashback which is a digital delay and never bonded. really I like organic sounding stuff if that makes sense. I have considered trying an analog delay, maybe an Aqua Puss. Or a Carbon Copy. I just want a little slap back.

• 2 months later...

What are you using? what have you heard or tried lately that got your attention?

Dont know why, I am quite fixated on delays and echo's at the moment. I think because everything else on the board seems to be pleasing in the context I use it.

Currently use 2 DD7's. They do what the wording on the box says. Just looking for something.....else....for......because ocd I guess.

:)

Funny, I just spent time with the two dd7's using settings I had never bothered with, hold, modulation, reverse and connected an fs6 to the temp/exp input.

One of them is pretty cool all by it self, two together and within 15-20 minutes of tweaking you've pretty much have had a life time supply of repeats.

I mightve just killed the Delay/Echo GAS curiosity.

Revisited the dd7 today. I was working on an idea and it seemed to require delay, the amp reverb wasnt quite right.

I had the sound I wanted dialed in, just a bare hint of breakup, more compression than gain, warm mids and smooth high end, a full sounding strat neck pick up sound. Just wanted that little bit of depth that a barely on delay can add.

I plugged in the DD7 and, boom! there you go, tone suck! Never noticed it before. I was always pretty happy with it. I have two of them so I tried them both out and got the same results. Just thinned the sound out and roughed up the top end.

I tried different leads and even walked away and did something else for a while in case I was just too far into it and imagining things that werent there.

So, Im back on the delay thing again. 16 tabs open right now.

Revisited the dd7 today. I was working on an idea and it seemed to require delay, the amp reverb wasnt quite right.

I had the sound I wanted dialed in, just a bare hint of breakup, more compression than gain, warm mids and smooth high end, a full sounding strat neck pick up sound. Just wanted that little bit of depth that a barely on delay can add.

I plugged in the DD7 and, boom! there you go, tone suck! Never noticed it before. I was always pretty happy with it. I have two of them so I tried them both out and got the same results. Just thinned the sound out and roughed up the top end.

I tried different leads and even walked away and did something else for a while in case I was just too far into it and imagining things that werent there.

So, Im back on the delay thing again. 16 tabs open right now.

You need one of these little bad boys at the end of your pedals.

https://www.jhspedals.com/products/guitar-pedals/little-black-buffer/

You need one of these little bad boys at the end of your pedals.

https://www.jhspedals.com/products/guitar-pedals/little-black-buffer/

Only pedals in the chain was the Jester and then I added the dd7. I have a MI Audio boost and buff, I tried it after reading you post and still noticed what I was hearing.

Tried a couple of other od's with the dd7 but still noticed what I had before.

So I just went out and picked up a TC NOVA REPEATER.

While I was there I tried the Carbon Copy again. It was good but I liked the Nova Repeater. Its not as dark sounding.

Plugged in to my own gear after the Jester and there isnt a discernible difference in the change of the original sound other than its adding repeats.

I used to have a TC Nova Delay. I think I like the repeater better! Less stuff to bother with and my delay needs are minimal anyway.

Its interesting to me, I gigged with DD7's for quite a while, I never really noticed stuff like this.

I just plugged in and played with the presence, treble and bass controls on my amp or stomps if something didnt sound right then adjusted them occasionally during the night if needed.

This approach doesnt work so well at home when you are in a small room and all is quiet around you. Every hiss, drop or boost in frequencies is immediately apparent and tweaking tone and gain controls doesnt always correct it.

I like a minimalist board, so picked up an Strymon El Capistan, as it can function as tape delay, as well as pull off reverb. Beautiful piece of gear though, very well made. Great rainy day item too, as you can spend hours messing with all the setting and discovering sounds. Like an instrument all on it's own

el_capistan_product_pic_zpstddnbu5u.jpg

MY DELAY OF CHOICE

The audio difference you heard between the Carbon Copy vs the Nova Repeater was analog vs digital. Analog delays generally don't have as much high end, due to the technology they use to produce the delay. Some people like this characteristic, some don't.

There is a version of the Carbon Copy pedal that has more high end than the standard one, but it still will not have as much high end as a digital delay. Digital delays are much more capable and flexible -- you could never do the strymon type stuff with an analog delay -- but they are digital, so you are going through an A/D and D/A converter, deviating from analog.

I can definitely hear the difference between analog and digital, and I like pure analog the best. I keep my signal path analog as much as I can, but capable delays and reverbs require making an exception (although there are some that keep the dry part of the output analog).

Archived