Heritage Owners Club

Any love for the Schaller Golden 50?

PunkKitty

A set came stock in my H-158. I can't find anything that I don't like about them. I'm inclined to replace them with a set of Fralin P-92's that I have. But I really can't find a good reason to. They sound great in this instrument.

Can you give me a good reason why I should go through the trouble of rewiring the guitar with Fralins when I see nothing wrong with the instrument as is?

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Having said that, are there any quibbles with the electronics at all?

Most of the time you can make good pickups even better with really high quality potentiometers, capacitors wired 50's style and maybe replacing the jack and toggle.

When he was six, he believed that the moon overhead followed him... by nine he had deciphered the illusion. Trading magic for fact, no tradebacks. So this is what it's like to be an adult. If he only knew now, what he knew then...

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Having said that, are there any quibbles with the electronics at all?

Most of the time you can make good pickups even better with really high quality potentiometers, capacitors wired 50's style and maybe replacing the jack and toggle.

When he was six, he believed that the moon overhead followed him... by nine he had deciphered the illusion. Trading magic for fact, no tradebacks. So this is what it's like to be an adult. If he only knew now, what he knew then...

No problems at all. Everything works as it should. I've rewired many, many guitars. I don't see any reason to touch this one. It's perfect as is.

I have the Schallers in both my 157 and my 535. The only ones I replaced were in the H140, and those sounded particularly dull vs the other two sets. Never could get them to sound right, with rewiring, treble bleeds, caps. They were just "off".

I'm with KHMR33, if its not broke, don't fix it!

I had a set in my SG, had no issues with them. I only replaced them because I wanted to try a set of Burst Buckers,,, ( that I bought from PK)

I'd like to try them in my Millie DC but just havent had the motivation to do so...

Joe's 150 had SD 59s in it and it sounded too muffled. Brent sent me a set of Golden's as a favor and it opened up the tone on that guitar like you wouldn't believe. You get your distortion from the amp not the guitar.

img_4266_std.jpg

Very subjective but I had them in a H157 for a few years and thought they were pretty good. But reading many posts of guys swapping them out got me curious. I installed Seths and liked them better for sure. More of a vintage tone to me. Sold the Schallers and recouped some of the expense.

I did an A/B comparison of the Schallers with the Duncan '59s in my Prospect. The '59s have more midrange and clearer highs. The Schallers are muddy sounding in comparison. Maybe they will get changed.

Joe's 150 had SD 59s in it and it sounded too muffled. Brent sent me a set of Golden's as a favor and it opened up the tone on that guitar like you wouldn't believe. You get your distortion from the amp not the guitar.

I did an A/B comparison of the Schallers with the Duncan '59s in my Prospect. The '59s have more midrange and clearer highs. The Schallers are muddy sounding in comparison. Maybe they will get changed.

Interesting two comparisons of the same pickups with TOTALLY opposite results.

In my 157 and 535,my Schallers have plenty of top. In the 140, they were like mud. I think it might be more the individual unit variation.

Interesting two comparisons of the same pickups with TOTALLY opposite results.

In my 157 and 535,my Schallers have plenty of top. In the 140, they were like mud. I think it might be more the individual unit variation.

The amp they are tested through makes a difference too. Wood characteristics vary from guitar to guitar. What sounds good in one guitar will sound different in another guitar of the same model.

All three guitars have been played through at least 4 different amps. The trend was the same. For me, the wood changes are more subtle than the difference in that set of pickups. I thought it was bad caps or pots, but I changed that stuff out too. It didn't change a thing.

It had to be something else, but I couldn't find it.

I think it might be more the individual unit variation.

I think the man from Louisville is onto something. ;^) I suspect the Schallers are not as strictly controlled in their assembly stage. Each set sounds a little different. Some sets a lot different.

Whether you like them or not depends entirely on what you want out of your guitar. Tone is so subjective. I know some have said they sound good in solid bodies but not so good in semi hollow. I know other people that say the reverse. The same things are said about HRW pickups.

However, those were the standard pickups for decades, so they can't be horrible. Schaller doesn't make crap. They may make some strange things, but everything is well engineered and designed.

img_4266_std.jpg

Now THAT is a beautiful blonde!

They're too hi-fi for me. My '83 Kramer Pacer Imperial still had the stock Schallers when I got it a couple years ago. It was basically the sound of every '80s pop record, but not the sound I was looking for. I currently have an '80s vintage Duncan "DCJ" Custom in the bridge and a Duncan Jazz in the neck, and those work much better in that guitar for my sound.

I'd say that the Schallers are almost "too good" at what they do. We've become accustomed to the imperfections of the classic pickup designs, and that's what we expect.

• 3 months later...

Archived