Heritage Owners Club

Belated NAD.

JeffB

I got it about 6weeks ago but it wasnt working so I never got around to being excited by it.

A boomerang Pro Tube Pro Reverb

I bought this amp in about 02-03 I think. I had it through to 2008-10. Something like that anyway.

I dont think they were a popular Fender model.

I bought it for the clean channel. It has a big spacious sound to it. When you crank it it has a nice break up. Very bluesy.

In 1/4 power mode its pretty much a Deluxe Reverb in the way it breaks up. I used to run it with a Celestion of some sort but returned it to stock when I sold it. A jensen C12 I think.

After I bought it I discovered that the gain channel is actually pretty good if you back the gain off. Its almost like Fender shouldve made "3" on the gain dial "10". Once I discovered this the amp turned out to be more useful than I originally thought.

The fx loop I used as a solo boost. I could use just the amp and control pedal and cover most stuff except the higher gain tunes.

Everything about the amp is more modern than vintage. Its not a purists sort of an amp. Its just a handy gig pig really. Thats my memory of it anyway.

The reverb is lush and the tremolo is glorious. This amp switched me on to trem.

I was never quite sure why I sold this amp. I guess at the time I had two Mesa's, about three Marshalls, an Egnater and two other fenders, a supersonic 60w head and the Concert. Oh yeah, and a Koch.

A friend needed an amp and he liked the Pro Reverb.

We did some gigs together and then he died and the amp got handed over to someone else.

It floated around getting handed over to people who wouldnt have a clue if it was solid state or tube. Each time it got passed on because a fuse blew, a tube went, oxidization in the loop in or out or speaker out . Just simple things.

Finally I got it back. I saw it sitting in a corner at a jam and I was kinda excited and asked if I could play through it.

Apparently no. Its dead. Hadnt worked for about 2yrs.

I asked if I could check it out but couldnt find a fault with the tubes, fuse or anything external so gave up.

On the way out the owner of it asked me if I wanted back and I did.

So tonight i took it apart and looked for the problem. Found the problem but cant fix it properly myself.

Blown resistor or what ever you call those little bead looking things. Its in the fx loop circuit but I cant see why it blew so its beyond my scope of ability to fix.

So, it still doesnt work but I am feeling a bit more excited about it.

Its a heavy amp, I had forgotten. 34kg/75pounds.

I think Fender make the most handsome amps.

IMG_3238%202_zpsdvc68lar.jpgIMG_3235_zpsgexuwve1.jpgIMG_3236_zpsflvathn0.jpg

I've often heard the Pro Reverbs were one of the best amps Fender has ever made.... but at 75lbs, I understand why it has casters.

Being a 50 Watt amp, its surely too much amp for someone like me. But in the right club under the right conditions, I'm sure its a perfect gig amp.

Good luck with the repairs. Sounds like it may be lengthy with the host of issues its had over the years..

I've often heard the Pro Reverbs were one of the best amps Fender has ever made.... but at 75lbs, I understand why it has casters.

Being a 50 Watt amp, its surely too much amp for someone like me. But in the right club under the right conditions, I'm sure its a perfect gig amp.

Good luck with the repairs. Sounds like it may be lengthy with the host of issues its had over the years..

This is a Pro Tube Pro Reverb.

Really it is quite mis-named. I dont think it should be confused with the Pro Reverb from way back. This amp is in no way a re issue of it.

The only issues were the people who had it in their possession. The amps fine. Well, apart from the problem with the fx loop :D

I remember those when Fender still sold them. HUGE looking amp, but I can't recall really ever seeing one being used. The Super Sonic line seems to have been a lot more popular for more modern tones. Still see a lot of twin reverbs, though IMHO they are not the best amps for taking pedals, which is what almost everyone I see uses them for.

Not sure if it is a similar amp, but I have a 90s Pro Sonic w/ 2 10s. It is a killer! It sounds like an old fender but then it can go from there to full out metal sounds. I don't use it anymore but now with this post I am curious why I don't. I may have to pull it out.

I used it for the clean sound as it was pretty much like my twin. It then could step up to a bluesy crunch and then again to a full on high gain scream. From what I remember back in the day, they did not sell very well until after people figured out what they were capable of. By then, Fender had discontinued them.

They were made and discontinued around the same time as the Prosonic.

The gain channel I thought was smoother than the Prosonic but the Prosonic held up better through the whole range of gain. I think the Prosonic had a more usable gain channel. Pro reverb turn to a buzzy or mushy mess quite early.

The layout and features are similar to the Rivera models. I only have the one Concert to compare it to and the cleans are different. More than just a speaker or cab difference.

It sure is pretty! Must be one huge amp to have a car driving on it. 75lbs, now that's got some iron in it. Or lead weights. I'm going with iron.

I was unsure what you were talking about for a while.

Thats the 65 GTO I won in a raffle. :)

Archived