Heritage Owners Club

Newbie Question

Speed

Greetings, I am a potential Heritage owner. I saw an H150 online today that I may have purchased but the 1st letter of the serial # has an unfortunate chip in the headstock right over the 1st serial letter. This seller seems to be reputable. Would this sway you from purchasing? I will say the price seems fair. Many of you may have seen this guitar so I am just curious.

image_zpskrtmh6ay.png

Have the seller remove the control cavity plate on the back of the guitar. There is a Heritage factory sticker on the back of the plate that will have the model and serial number listed on it. Sometimes it will also list which pickups the factory installed.

I don't remember a serial number in that large font before..... which doesn't mean it isn't genuine , it's just something that jumps out to me.

( I've got one that has no stamped serial , that came from the plant that way ) Maybe my memory is failing me right now.

What year is this guitar?

gallery_790_192_32248.jpgDSCF0440.JPG

This would be an internet sale so no way to play it to see if my heart skips a beat! I asked him to check under the plate for the number he said nothing is there.

This seems odd. They always put a sticker with the details there. I guess it could have been removed but why would anyone do that?

Calling HolyRoller.....

If I'm not mistaken, it was his Purple Burst.

Wasn't that a Pete Moreno refinish?

???

jpxqoct4bcuiwydol1cz.jpg

I suspect this is the guitar you are looking at.

Some years back, Holyroller had an H150 refinished in purple burst. Pete Moreno did the work if I recall properly. Pete worked for Gibson many years ago as well as at Heritage.

Moreno's Guitar Clinic

Yes that is the one I was looking at. I'm most likely going to pass on it. It's a decent price but I'd rather have one that's all original I think. This one has had the pickups changed to Gibson pickups. Then the chip and possible refinish.. I'm still on the lookout..

I don't know that I would worry a lot about the refinish, being that Pete did the work. It would still be nitro, probably the same stuff used at Heritage, since he would be VERY familiar with the materials used. The main thing is that it be structurally sound, and have a good sound and feel.

That's the one problem with internet sales. If they were all cookie cutter guitars, you could try a bunch out locally and see what style you like and then order what you want if the right guitar isn't available. With Heritage, there are variations in neck feel, with some people opting for a chunky neck, others liking the fast 60s neck. Weights vary, and even the setup will change a guitar.

Four of the last five guitars I have bought were purchased knowing how they played and sounded. I like that.

I don't know that I would worry a lot about the refinish, being that Pete did the work. It would still be nitro, probably the same stuff used at Heritage, since he would be VERY familiar with the materials used. The main thing is that it be structurally sound, and have a good sound and feel.

That's the one problem with internet sales. If they were all cookie cutter guitars, you could try a bunch out locally and see what style you like and then order what you want if the right guitar isn't available. With Heritage, there are variations in neck feel, with some people opting for a chunky neck, others liking the fast 60s neck. Weights vary, and even the setup will change a guitar.

Four of the last five guitars I have bought were purchased knowing how they played and sounded. I like that.

I can't find a heritage locally, and I'm not a very patient type of guy. My window of wife approval can slam shut quickly!!

Speed...just to address one piece of this.

This does appear to be Holyrollers old purple burst. Moreno had this guitar for a while, and in the final analysis, aside from the subjective things like color and zebras and what the pickups are like sonically, from a finish quality/hardware-electronics installation/set-up standpoint, you cannot do better than a Pete Moreno job. This guitar is in top form playability wise. You can take that to the bank. When the Gibson Memphis custom shop has a problem, THEY go to Pete.

I'd just hate to have you pass on it thinking that it's been muddled with and for that reason may be a basket case. If this is Holyrollers, it was right very recently.

Speed...just to address one piece of this.

This does appear to be Holyrollers old purple burst. Moreno had this guitar for a while, and in the final analysis, aside from the subjective things like color and zebras and what the pickups are like sonically, from a finish quality/hardware-electronics installation/set-up standpoint, you cannot do better than a Pete Moreno job. This guitar is in top form playability wise. You can take that to the bank. When the Gibson Memphis custom shop has a problem, THEY go to Pete.

I'd just hate to have you pass on it thinking that it's been muddled with and for that reason may be a basket case. If this is Holyrollers, it was right very recently.

Yes, I have to agree with this. A refinish by Pete is not a negative thing at all. He is well know for the quality of his work.

Archived