Heritage Owners Club

H-535, used but new to me

kennyv4

I just wanted to say hello to all the Forum members. I joined the Forum after I got back from the Heritage factory tour, and have been searching for a H-535 since then. Well today I bought a used one that was built in 2004. The guitar color is antique sunburst. I believe that the pickups are Schaller Golden 50's. Any help in this area would be appreciated. I dressed the fretboard and put new strings on her and I have had trouble putting this guitar down to have dinner and finish this post.

IMG_8509_zps2leejdju.jpg

Nice snatch! I bet she sounds luscious through that Twin. Play her in good health; congrats!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the pickup information. It is tempting to start a Heritage collection. I was up to 16 guitars and 10 amps, but decided to thin down the herd. Down to seven guitars and 7 amps now. I guess that's not to much for someone who has played guitar since 1963. I do love the way my Heritage plays, sounds and looks. I do still own a 1965 Epiphone Granada that was made at the Gibson Kalamazoo plant.

Welcome to HOC! And what a nice guitar! I had no intention of starting a Heritage collection but now I have a few. I don't really collect guitars as much as play them and this was a way to fill areas of sound without breaking my bank account. It all started with my H-170 and then on to a 535 and on and on.....

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I am very new to this forum and I hope I will be a Heritage owner very soon. I have visited the factory in Kalamazoo in October 2016 and did get a personal tour just for me (I was visiting from Germany). Very nice memories.

Could someome tell me what kind of pickups are most likely in this Heritage H 535 from 1998?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

post-23283-0-94766200-1485127157_thumb.jpg

I have found different references for Schaller pickups, like:

Schaller Golden Era
Schaller Golden Age
Schaller Golden 50's

Are these different pickups or just different names for the same pickup? I would be interested to learn more about these Schaller pickups, maybe there is a dedicated thread here?

Thank you very much.

Golden Age and Golden 50 pickups aren't the same pickups.

If you check the Schaller website, they are officially called Golden 50s. They are a standard Alnico 5 potted, 4 wire humbucker. Spec is 7.4 kOhm for both the bridge and neck. Spec-wise, they are close to the SD 59s.

Schaller Humbuckers

56___220B.jpg

The Golden Age pickups are from StewMac. They aren't made by Schaller. This has caused some confusion over they years. They are wound to different spec from the Schallers, 8K for the neck, and 9K for the bridge. Golden Age is actually StewMac's brand name. They also call their tele, strat, and P90 pickups Golden Age.

Note that the Golden Age humbuckers have the single screw mounting tab. Schallers have 3 hole base plates, which is why most older Heritage guitars have two mounting screws per side. You can actually adjust the angle of the pickup.

lehflcsx2bvjxjzuutdq.jpg

Archived