Heritage Owners Club

Trying to figure out which Heritage 535 to buy... Need help please!

MChristiansen8

Hey guys, so I'm trying to get a hold of my first Heritage and potentially have narrowed it down to two guitars. Any input, advice, guidance would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks and look forward to being in the family!

Here's the two guitars

1990 535

http://m.ebay.com/itm/222350487888?_mwBanner=1

This guy seems to be pretty reasonable and have talked to him for the last couple days. Love the look of this guitar.

2010 535

https://reverb.com/item/3189834-heritage-h-535-gloss-black-ebony-h535

A lot of custom touches, on this one, not as big of a fan of the black....

Any and all opinions, guidance, etc. thanks guys!!!

They are both nice. And they are very different instruments.

The 1990 has Schaller hardware and pickups. That's not a deal breaker. The Schaller pickups are nice. Many people prefer to swap them for other PAFs though. Many people also swap out the Schaller hardware for TonePros or Faber. There is nothing wrong with the Schaller hardware. But many people don't like the weight of the hardware or the chunky look it has.

The 2010 will likely have a different neck profile from the 1990. All the necks are shaped by hand. So you might try to find out more about the neck profile of each instrument before you buy. It looks like the pickups are Duncan 59's. I'd prefer Seth Lovers on that guitar. But that's a personal choice. The finish on the gold hardware will eventually wear with age and playing. And it sounds like you've already made up your mind on the black finish.

Don't stop looking with these two. There are a lot of options available.

I've negotiated both down in price a good amount, what do you think would be a solid price on something like this.. unfortunately don't have the top dollar budget for a new one, or some of the more expensive ones out there. Really leaning towards the 1990 as of now. Have been looking for about 4 months now and have just started getting really serious in looking. These ones fit more of my budget haha

I've been watching the Ebony one too, in fact after a few days of messaging I got the guy to weigh the guitar and he says it comes out to 8.5lbs, which is a little hefty for those guitars but still fine. But, the new one's are made incredibly well and the fact that there are brand new H535's around $1800 makes me think about picking up a new one...that way if anything structural ever goes wrong I could just walk into Kalamazoo plus they have a variety of pickup options, pointless but sounds nice "long tenon" neck, traditional bridge and I'm sure more price increases are in the near future. Warranties are underrated!

All that said, still not sure between H150, H535, or a used Gibby Historic R7. Going to play a couple more Heritage guitars in a local shop tomorrow and hopefully narrow this thing down.

Normally I'm a best bang for the buck buyer but I just want to get one more top shelf electric (after selling off 2 or 3) to keep for a long while, preferably a guitar with tons of character.

If you want a good deal it's always best to look for someone who wants to sell within a matter of weeks. Ebay/Reverb are basically free advertising so people/dealers can just sit on their top dollar for months to years even if they desire. I'd say $1,250-1500 shipped to your door is a good deal.

Once again, saving money when buying used makes sense...but only if it's a good enough amount because if you can get a lifetime warranty for a couple hundred more...do that every time.

I love Schaller hardware,my old 150 has the same neck and hardware,and it is,a,supreme guitar..I also have a black Beauty es335,it's a 59 reissued in 87..super alright,but the 150 with Schaller gear is perhaps even better..no kidding..btw,,11 guage on that kind of guitar is perfect.

Archived