Heritage Owners Club

Would you part with an original Marshall JCM 800 for a Kemper

As a gigging guitar player, I can no longer hump the Marshall Stack I had in years gone by, there comes a point where these things are just too heavy.

As an out and out valve amp die hard, I just can not believe that you can get a true valve sound from a none valve amp. However, I have never played through or even heard a Kemper so I can not speak with any authority on this amp.

My personal choice would be to get a really good but smaller valve amp. If you like the Marshall sound, what about a Bluesbreaker combo?

But if you are not sure, don't sell the Marshall, sellers remorse would be terrible.. Just my 2 cents worth. Let us all know what you do.

• 2 weeks later...

A guitar buddy of mine plays in a full blown Kiss tribute band with a full Marshall stack. But what the audience doesn't know is one cab is completely empty and the other only has two of the four speakers installed. That way it looks cool on stage but doesn't blow everyone away. Take it a step further and Celestion make a neodymium creamback that weighs less than half of a regular creamback....

Might keep you rocking the half stack longer...

Thanks Detroit Blues, I have thought about that too. I have a couple of those Neo Celestion speakers and have one in the princeton I used in the video. They would certainly make a big difference if I loaded a half stack with them. I got them last year for 79 each and should have bought more than two. They seem to have gone up in price. Hard to admit, but a stack sure looks killer (and sounds killer if you don't have to lift it).

We are playing an outdoor gig at Gibralter in Mount Clemens April 30th and a couple other out door venues. Last year another band used a 4 x 12 with a 15 watt marshall head and it sounded great (miked). Something about a 4 x 12 cabinet... I am blessed to have to make these kind of decisions

• 4 months later...

Finally sold the JCM800. I decided to go the Kemper route after having great experiences with my Mustang III and V (still have those and they are under Fender's generous 5 year warranty). In fact, I just may PROFILE my mustang III and Mustang V into the Kemper (If you PROFILE a MODELING amp, are you playing with FIRE and the laws of nature). Still have a Princeton reverb, deluxe reverb, and 80's era concert to profile. My favorite amp sounds. I am going to use those familiar (to me) amp sounds/behaviours to learn Kemper profiling techinques and in the future will repost in this thread. Hard to jump into the deep end without a good tube amp (plus if you are going to get electricuted, it may as well be a tube amp). Hoping the Kemper raises the bar vs. the Mustang (which has served me well).

My new Rig

Kemper Profiler Lunchbox (non-powered version) prefer this version over the rack version as it is more tweakable without a computer

2 x 12 custom cabinet (looks like a blues breaker Marshall vs. the BackBreaker Marshall stack) 200 watts

200 watt Quilter Power Block Pro (w/REVERB)

2 12 inch celection NEO Vintage Century speakers (200 watts)

total weight (the actual empty wood cabinet is most of the weight) about 40 pounds which is about the weight of my JCM 800 amp head (minus the 2 4 12 speaker cabinets).

So how close will this sound to an 8-12 inch JCM800 marshall stack? I will keep you in suspense until the HOC (not sure if anyone wants to try this rig out, but I can easily bring it up with me) (as long as I figure it out first).

I did a few profiles of a JCM800 with a Kemper. Ran it through a HRDs loop.

Made peoples eyes pop out of their heads, they couldnt understand how I got the gain channel of the hrd to sound so good.

Once I explained what I was actually doing, well, anyway, thats how I sold Kempers. :)

Finally sold the JCM800. I decided to go the Kemper route after having great experiences with my Mustang III and V (still have those and they are under Fender's generous 5 year warranty). In fact, I just may PROFILE my mustang III and Mustang V into the Kemper (If you PROFILE a MODELING amp, are you playing with FIRE and the laws of nature). Still have a Princeton reverb, deluxe reverb, and 80's era concert to profile. My favorite amp sounds. I am going to use those familiar (to me) amp sounds/behaviours to learn Kemper profiling techinques and in the future will repost in this thread. Hard to jump into the deep end without a good tube amp (plus if you are going to get electricuted, it may as well be a tube amp). Hoping the Kemper raises the bar vs. the Mustang (which has served me well).

My new Rig

Kemper Profiler Lunchbox (non-powered version) prefer this version over the rack version as it is more tweakable without a computer

2 x 12 custom cabinet (looks like a blues breaker Marshall vs. the BackBreaker Marshall stack) 200 watts

total weight (the actual empty wood cabinet is most of the weight) about 40 pounds which is about the weight of my JCM 800 amp head (minus the 2 4 12 speaker cabinets).

So how close will this sound to an 8-12 inch JCM800 marshall stack? I will keep you in suspense until the HOC (not sure if anyone wants to try this rig out, but I can easily bring it up with me) (as long as I figure it out first).

The best compliment I've received on my tone was using a Peavey Valveking Micro Head on a Marshall 4x12. So I can see your point too. I've settled for a vertical 2x12 myself. Seems much fuller to me then using a single driver.

My new Rig

I have a Quilter Micropro 45 plugged into a 2x12. Sounds great to me. (not exactly a clean tone amp, but I always like a bit of hair when I'm playing)

Archived