Heritage Owners Club

Quilter MicroPro Mach II 8"

This statement:

"Having played my Quilter side–by–side with a variety of boutique tube amps and workhorses, such as the Fender Blues Junior and Peavey Classic 30, I’ve concluded that Quilters do not sound quite as good as tube amplifiers."

I cannot say I agree with it. Using a 8" speaker, it may not sound as good as it could. Plug it into a bigger cabinet? That's where the magic really happens.

Plus, I've had a Blues Junior (which needed the BillM mods to sound really good, and a Delta Blues which is the Peavey Classic with a 15" driver).

I say this amp sounds better than both.

One part I do agree with...

"The MicroPro has many, many knobs and offers no less than 36 permutations of its tone–shaping controls. Most of these permutations I do not like, but I know other players who get the tones they need out of the very settings that I avoid."

I found I only use the Tweed and Blackface channels. I don't mess with the controls too much once I dial the amp in for the guitar I'm playing.

• 1 month later...

I hope that after this past weekend, I made some believers out of some you.

Saturday night, Fredzep played his newly acquired MicroPro 200-8 (previous version of my MicroPro). He had it loud and proud against some much larger amps.

To my ears, it was fantastic.

I think a few members on Friday night also liked the tone that came out of that amp.

More to think about I guess.

Yeah, I'm glad that I picked up a Micro Pro 200. Amazing things come out of these little amps. We heard them do a great job with various clean tones at PSP and the reverb is really, really nice.

I wanted to see if they could produce the power / volume that they claimed and the amp proved it on Sat. Unbelievable that that tiny combo can produce stack level volumes all night long.

I knew that I had to learn how to improve the tone some more and today I improved my ability to get the amp to do a classic rock/ overdrive tone. For me the limiter and boost knobs compressed the sound too much and lost the live feel. So I found some nice settings today that had the boost on , but the boost knob on 0 and the limiter knob on 0. That maintains the dynamics of the amp even with a good amount of gain. Lots of great tones in this little amp, I'm not selling my tube amps, but like the variety that I'm finding in the Quilter. A larger cab is the next thing to try out....

Yeah, I'm glad that I picked up a Micro Pro 200. Amazing things come out of these little amps. We heard them do a great job with various clean tones at PSP and the reverb is really, really nice.

I wanted to see if they could produce the power / volume that they claimed and the amp proved it on Sat. Unbelievable that that tiny combo can produce stack level volumes all night long.

I knew that I had to learn how to improve the tone some more and today I improved my ability to get the amp to do a classic rock/ overdrive tone. For me the limiter and boost knobs compressed the sound too much and lost the live feel. So I found some nice settings today that had the boost on , but the boost knob on 0 and the limiter knob on 0. That maintains the dynamics of the amp even with a good amount of gain. Lots of great tones in this little amp, I'm not selling my tube amps, but like the variety that I'm finding in the Quilter. A larger cab is the next thing to try out....

Yep, I use very little of the limiter. It supposed to be sort of a compressor. I don't have a foot switch, so I never used the boost either.

So many different tones in that MicroPro 200, I found one today that did sound good with the boost turned up and tone controls flat or cut and the presence cranked.

Seems like every time I plug it I find a different way to achieve a nice overdriven tone.

So many different tones in that MicroPro 200, I found one today that did sound good with the boost turned up and tone controls flat or cut and the presence cranked.

Seems like every time I plug it I find a different way to achieve a nice overdriven tone.

Did you try a bigger cabinet? Plug that beast in a 4x12! Be prepared to be blown away!

Did you try a bigger cabinet? Plug that beast in a 4x12! Be prepared to be blown away!

No... you're right, a 4x12 will rock like crazy. I haven't tried it yet, I know that will be great.

Today I got a really big , full sound out of that 8" ... amazing that it can do that.

Really happy with that purchase...

They are very innovative, but like many new innovations, they typically do not replace the traditional tools (i.e. tube amps) used by musicians all that quickly. If nothing else, they seem to fill a specific niche.

They are very innovative, but like many new innovations, they typically do not replace the traditional tools (i.e. tube amps) used by musicians all that quickly. If nothing else, they seem to fill a specific niche.

Yeah... there is a certain amount of a learning curve to get the tone you want from it. I'm used to dialing in a tube amp, but these amps have a lot of stuff going on. Change the mode or type of boost etc. and suddenly it's very different from where you started and reacts differently to changes. Powerful for a tiny amp.

Yeah... there is a certain amount of a learning curve to get the tone you want from it. I'm used to dialing in a tube amp, but these amps have a lot of stuff going on. Change the mode or type of boost etc. and suddenly it's very different from where you started and reacts differently to changes. Powerful for a tiny amp.

Here's what you need Fred!

Marshall 8x10!

https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/msg/d/1968-marshall-1990-model-8x10/6245593203.html

DB, my wife is really mad at you. I told her I had to buy one of these, and so I did, but I blamed you. Mine should be here in a couple of days. Oh, and don't worry, she doesn't hold a grudge - LOL. Looking forward to trying this bad boy out.

Also, if anyone is interested, I'm trying to sell this to pay for it: https://reverb.com/item/2759911-g-l-invader-xl-2009-cherry-burst

DB, my wife is really mad at you. I told her I had to buy one of these, and so I did, but I blamed you. Mine should be here in a couple of days. Oh, and don't worry, she doesn't hold a grudge - LOL. Looking forward to trying this bad boy out.

Also, if anyone is interested, I'm trying to sell this to pay for it: https://reverb.com/item/2759911-g-l-invader-xl-2009-cherry-burst

I'm glad I can help enable you.

Did you at least sell it to her that is its a really small amp that won't take up too much room and can be very quiet.

Then mention, she won't even notice it in the living room....

Congrats. I hope you enjoy it!

There you go, one in, one out! Should help ease the pain.

Really would like to get my hands on one of these as well.

Dyed-in-the-wool tube amp guy here. But I must say, having diddled a little with DB's Quilter Friday night at the hotel, it's quite a little package! Cleans were really useful. Heard others making it grind a little. But I'd have to see if I could get a satisfying grunt out of it on my own. Apparently the way to do that is open it up through a big cab. But for a grab-and-go it was an impressive package.

Dyed-in-the-wool tube amp guy here. But I must say, having diddled a little with DB's Quilter Friday night at the hotel, it's quite a little package! Cleans were really useful. Heard others making it grind a little. But I'd have to see if I could get a satisfying grunt out of it on my own. Apparently the way to do that is open it up through a big cab. But for a grab-and-go it was an impressive package.

I can't wait to hear Fred's conclusions after he plugs his into a larger cabinet... If it is like my experience, he will be totally thrilled.

Archived