45 replies to this topic

#21 t0aj15

t0aj15

Heir Apparent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 11:55 PM

I looked at that amp and ended up with the ProBlock 200 (I am intrigued by their 2 x 8 speaker cabinet which is way overpriced).

In the mean time though, it is a backup to my classic tube stuff and am still getting familar with dialing in a great sound with pedals.

I use to use a Crate PowerBlock and I sold it when it was working but it always felt cheap (not so with the quilter stuff).

Post some live videos when you get a chance in a live setting.  I am curious.... take care

I also use the Pro Block 200 but strictly as a poweramp with an Ethos preamp and an FX8 for efx. Haven't even turned the tube stuff for several months.

Not all who wander are lost.

#22 DetroitBlues

DetroitBlues

Has Skewed Priorities

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,135 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 09:46 AM

Good going Detroit Blues.

I looked at that amp and ended up with the ProBlock 200 (I am intrigued by their 2 x 8 speaker cabinet which is way overpriced).

In the mean time though, it is a backup to my classic tube stuff and am still getting familar with dialing in a great sound with pedals.

I use to use a Crate PowerBlock and I sold it when it was working but it always felt cheap (not so with the quilter stuff).

Post some live videos when you get a chance in a live setting.  I am curious.... take care

I'm a basement dwelling hack guitarist these days.  Probably won't have a chance to test it live until PSP....

ProBlock is a loud amp.  I like what I'm hearing out of this tiny MicroPro.   I came close to buying the same rig you have, but I agree that the 2x8 cabinet is too expensive for what it is.

www.facebook.com/313DBC

#23 gpuma

gpuma

Needs To Get Out More

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,057 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 07:43 AM

I thought you did not like any amp above the 20-30W range. What made you change your mind?

Electrics:
1988 Heritage Stat Deluxe Amber
2006 Heritage H150 CM Trans Blue HRW
2010 Heritage H535 Trans Black

2014 Heritage H357 AS Roma Burst (Kate, the Fire Owl)

2014 Fender American Vintage '52 Hot Rod

Amps:
Mesa Boogie Mark V Head
Mesa Boogie Mark IIb DRG
Marshall MosFet Reverb Twin 100 W
Roland MicroCube

Acoustics:
2009 Martin D-35
1999 Ovation Celebrity Deluxe CC257
2011 Gold Tone Paul Beard Signature PBR

#24 DetroitBlues

DetroitBlues

Has Skewed Priorities

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,135 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 09:24 PM

I thought you did not like any amp above the 20-30W range. What made you change your mind?

It can be quiet as a church mouse and still have some grit or it can keep up with a full band unlike many tube amps that must be turned up to get that nice juicy tone...
www.facebook.com/313DBC

#25 DetroitBlues

DetroitBlues

Has Skewed Priorities

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,135 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 10:56 AM

Breaking News....

Vince Lewis just posted on FB... He loves his new Quilter 

38226B31-794C-46D9-A04B-941F02EF9720_zps

www.facebook.com/313DBC

#26 LK155

LK155

Heir Apparent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 11:47 AM

All right!  Bass, Mid, Treble AND Reverb?  Bugger.  Bought my 101 too soon.

#27 tulk1

tulk1

Has Skewed Priorities

• Charter Member
  • 9,883 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 07:08 PM

Yeah, it's sort of a cross between the older 101 and the Aviator. Not surprised Vince picked one up.
Kenny

Quote: "You know, all things considered, we are very, very lucky to have all that we do, an embarrassment of riches, actually."
From the CZ Firearms Forum: "If at first you don't succeed, perhaps skydiving isn't for you"
Heard at one venue: "Well, then mic the drummer so you can turn him down!!"
From life in general: "Two silk worms had a race. They ended up in a tie"
No matter what you do, always give 100% .............. unless you're giving blood.

Good transactions with: yoslate, jc (x2), kuz, shook494, katy, Conneazoo, Millenium Maestro

#28 pegleg32

pegleg32

Needs To Get Out More

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 04:50 PM

https://reverb.com/n...28e5ce-61392001

SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL MUSCIANS!!

Don

Guitars:    Heritage 150 - - PRS 408 MT - - G&L Invader XL - - Taylor T5z

Amps:    Two Rock "Studio Pro 35" - - Carr "Rambler" - - Fender "Princeton Reverb II" - - Heritage "Lobo" - - Throbak "18W Classic" - - Bogner "Shiva 20th Anniversary" - - Line 6 "Jam"

#29 DetroitBlues

DetroitBlues

Has Skewed Priorities

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,135 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 06:10 AM

This statement:

"Having played my Quilter side–by–side with a variety of boutique tube amps and workhorses, such as the Fender Blues Junior and Peavey Classic 30, I’ve concluded that Quilters do not sound quite as good as tube amplifiers."

I cannot say I agree with it.  Using a 8" speaker, it may not sound as good as it could.  Plug it into a bigger cabinet?  That's where the magic really happens.

Plus, I've had a Blues Junior (which needed the BillM mods to sound really good, and a Delta Blues which is the Peavey Classic with a 15" driver).

I say this amp sounds better than both.

One part I do agree with...

"The MicroPro has many, many knobs and offers no less than 36 permutations of its tone–shaping controls. Most of these permutations I do not like, but I know other players who get the tones they need out of the very settings that I avoid."

I found I only use the Tweed and Blackface channels.  I don't mess with the controls too much once I dial the amp in for the guitar I'm playing.

Edited by DetroitBlues, 28 June 2017 - 06:13 AM.

www.facebook.com/313DBC

#30 DetroitBlues

DetroitBlues

Has Skewed Priorities

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,135 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 07:28 AM

I hope that after this past weekend, I made some believers out of some you.

Saturday night, Fredzep played his newly acquired MicroPro 200-8 (previous version of my MicroPro).  He had it loud and proud against some much larger amps.

To my ears, it was fantastic.

I think a few members on Friday night also liked the tone that came out of that amp.

More to think about I guess.

www.facebook.com/313DBC

#31 FredZepp

FredZepp

Has Skewed Priorities

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,691 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 10:47 PM

Yeah, I'm glad that I picked up a Micro Pro 200.  Amazing things come out of these little amps.  We heard them do a great job with various clean tones at PSP and the reverb is really, really nice. 

I wanted to see if they could produce the power / volume that they claimed and the amp proved it on Sat.  Unbelievable that that tiny combo can produce stack level volumes all night long.

I knew that I had to learn how to improve the tone some more and today I improved my ability to get the amp to do a classic rock/ overdrive tone.   For me the limiter and boost knobs compressed the sound too much and lost the live feel.  So I found some nice settings today that had the boost on , but the boost knob on 0 and the limiter knob on 0.  That maintains the dynamics of the amp even with a good amount of gain.  Lots of great tones in this little amp, I'm not selling my tube amps, but like the variety that I'm finding in the Quilter.  A larger cab is the next thing to try out.... 

Edited by FredZepp, 07 August 2017 - 10:51 PM.

__ '99 Eagle CENTURION , __ '94 H-157 Blk w/Page wiring , __ '92 H-150CM ASB,

__ '89 H-140CM Trans Cherry, __ '86 VIP-1 ACSB, __ '88 H-150CM ACSB , 

__  '88 Parsons Street Blk__ '13 Prospect Std. VWB

#32 DetroitBlues

DetroitBlues

Has Skewed Priorities

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,135 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 07:09 PM

Yeah, I'm glad that I picked up a Micro Pro 200.  Amazing things come out of these little amps.  We heard them do a great job with various clean tones at PSP and the reverb is really, really nice. 

I wanted to see if they could produce the power / volume that they claimed and the amp proved it on Sat.  Unbelievable that that tiny combo can produce stack level volumes all night long.

I knew that I had to learn how to improve the tone some more and today I improved my ability to get the amp to do a classic rock/ overdrive tone.   For me the limiter and boost knobs compressed the sound too much and lost the live feel.  So I found some nice settings today that had the boost on , but the boost knob on 0 and the limiter knob on 0.  That maintains the dynamics of the amp even with a good amount of gain.  Lots of great tones in this little amp, I'm not selling my tube amps, but like the variety that I'm finding in the Quilter.  A larger cab is the next thing to try out....

Yep, I use very little of the limiter. It supposed to be sort of a compressor. I don't have a foot switch, so I never used the boost either.
www.facebook.com/313DBC

#33 FredZepp

FredZepp

Has Skewed Priorities

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,691 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 08:40 PM

So many different tones in that MicroPro 200,  I found one today that did sound good with the boost turned up and tone controls flat or cut and the presence cranked.  

Seems like every time I plug it I find a different way to achieve a nice overdriven tone. 

#34 DetroitBlues

DetroitBlues

Has Skewed Priorities

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,135 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 10:08 PM

So many different tones in that MicroPro 200,  I found one today that did sound good with the boost turned up and tone controls flat or cut and the presence cranked.  

Seems like every time I plug it I find a different way to achieve a nice overdriven tone.

Did you try a bigger cabinet? Plug that beast in a 4x12! Be prepared to be blown away!
www.facebook.com/313DBC

#35 FredZepp

FredZepp

Has Skewed Priorities

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,691 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 10:34 PM

Did you try a bigger cabinet? Plug that beast in a 4x12! Be prepared to be blown away!

No... you're right,  a 4x12  will rock like crazy.   I haven't tried it yet, I know that will be great.  

Today I got a really big , full sound out of that 8"  ... amazing that it can do that. 

Really happy with that purchase... 

#36 ElNumero

ElNumero

Heir Apparent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts
  • Interests:Heritage guitars, retirement and life on the Gulf!

Posted 11 August 2017 - 08:35 AM

They are very innovative, but like many new innovations, they typically do not replace the traditional tools (i.e. tube amps) used by musicians all that quickly. If nothing else, they seem to fill a specific niche. 

Edited by ElNumero, 11 August 2017 - 08:36 AM.

#37 FredZepp

FredZepp

Has Skewed Priorities

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,691 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 01:05 PM

They are very innovative, but like many new innovations, they typically do not replace the traditional tools (i.e. tube amps) used by musicians all that quickly. If nothing else, they seem to fill a specific niche. 

Yeah... there is a certain amount of a learning curve to get the tone you want from it.  I'm used to dialing in a tube amp, but these amps have a lot of stuff going on.  Change the mode or type of boost etc. and suddenly it's very different from where you started and reacts differently to changes.  Powerful for a tiny amp. 

#38 DetroitBlues

DetroitBlues

Has Skewed Priorities

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,135 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 06:41 PM

Yeah... there is a certain amount of a learning curve to get the tone you want from it.  I'm used to dialing in a tube amp, but these amps have a lot of stuff going on.  Change the mode or type of boost etc. and suddenly it's very different from where you started and reacts differently to changes.  Powerful for a tiny amp.

Here's what you need Fred!

Marshall 8x10!

https://detroit.crai...6245593203.html
www.facebook.com/313DBC

#39 FredZepp

FredZepp

Has Skewed Priorities

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,691 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 07:31 PM

Here's what you need Fred!

Marshall 8x10!

https://detroit.crai...6245593203.html

Ha... I could rock that..    although it looks like a pain to transport. 

00Y0Y_edRrc1DIrov_600x450.jpg

Edited by FredZepp, 12 August 2017 - 07:32 PM.

#40 DetroitBlues

DetroitBlues

Has Skewed Priorities

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,135 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:08 PM

Ha... I could rock that..    although it looks like a pain to transport. 
00Y0Y_edRrc1DIrov_600x450.jpg

I couldn't imagine the weight.
www.facebook.com/313DBC