Heritage Owners Club

hauling a 4x12 around is a PITA

bolero

PAIN IN THE ARSE

man, I am rethinking my 4x12 useage...getting it in/out of the house, cramming all my other gear in the car with that behemoth, etc

it sure sounds & looks great, but dammit: my 1x12 combo is just as good sounding, and HELLA easier to move around

( and to think: I was considering using a full stack!! loonie )

I used to pack two 3 15" Kustom speaker columns, a Kustom 200 head and a guitar, up and down 3 flights of stairs when I was younger. Now I just move a Victoria Ivy League and a guitar. Older and wiser? Or just too weak to rock.

Hope I didn't give the wrong impression about my feelings towards heavy high powered amps, they're Fab. Before I bought the Kustom 200 I was playing the Les Paul SG through a black face Fender bassman, a sickly little thing that could be drowned out by the drummer hitting his high hat too hard. Loud amps and loud bands were the way to go in the 60s! Good times.

I have substituted a 4x12 for a 2x12 vertical slant cabinet... this particular model is loaded with Celestion Vintage 30's.

You can take the Jet City logo off and install a Marshall if you are concerned about the manufacture... But a Soldano designed amp/cab company isn't too shabby..

Jet-City-JCA24SV-Large.jpg

I like the sound of 112 combos more than the sound of a 412 cab.

One set up I really liked was a 112 combo and 212 cab. I stuck with that for a while. Punch from the 212 closed cab and the open sound of a 112 combo.

4x12's are great toys and are cool for large venues. Not in my hierarchy of needs.

I'm so glad I can get by with a 5F1 or 5E3 for most sessions. I've had good gigs with my Cube 60 and Champ II as well. A Silverface DR or Boogie combo suffice for the rest. "Down-watting" is a beautiful thing. And my back loves me for it.

I remember schlepping, along with drums and guitars and luggage, an SVT and a JBL loaded Twin all over hell's half-acre, back in the day. My back reminds me nearly every day what a really bad idea that was!

.... but those 4 x 12s just sound so GLORIOUS when they are cranking!!! And you must remember the saying, No pain, No gain.

Saying what, again? I couldn't hear. :icon_jokercolor:

hahaha....

well the problem is, I am playing the JTM45 + 4x12 clean and only using pedals for dirt, in the places we will be playing

kind of defeats the purpose

who the hell can crank a 30-50w amp up anywhere, these days??

The Vibro Pig may prevail, in the end

I have a 4x10 Hartke bass cab, and I swear, it is too heavy for me (and I lift weights at the gym, 5 lb dumbells mind you). The other bass cab I have is a 1x15 and it weighs 1/4 of what the 4x10 does. So the 4x10 sits in the garage until I can find a young roadie.

.... but those 4 x 12s just sound so GLORIOUS when they are cranking!!! And you must remember the saying, No pain, No gain.

Rich, your hearing left you long ago you know...

Sell the 4/12, get a lightweight 2/12...Seismc "Luke" 2/12 oval cutout back with Tone Tubby Nashvilles...pair of 8 ohms in series for 16 ohms, perfect for JTM45...winner winner chicken dinner. Cab is not very expensive, the speakers are, but they will do that JTM very, very proud. Have seen that cab on ebay for as little as 150-ish with free shipping, BIN often at 180...roomy, lightweight cab will get serious Bluesbreaker tones with those particular speakers.

I have a 4x10 Hartke bass cab, and I swear, it is too heavy for me (and I lift weights at the gym, 5 lb dumbells mind you). The other bass cab I have is a 1x15 and it weighs 1/4 of what the 4x10 does. So the 4x10 sits in the garage until I can find a young roadie.

Will, have you seen the Schroeder bass cabs? Ed has two older models, loaded with 10's, I think. They sound great, and weigh like 18lbs.

Will, have you seen the Schroeder bass cabs? Ed has two older models, loaded with 10's, I think. They sound great, and weigh like 18lbs.

I have not Rob, I will check them out.

Time to start a "Down-watters Anonymous" club for old geezers.

"5F1, one knob and the truth." Nothing heavier than a Deluxe Reverb will do.

Archived