Heritage Owners Club

59s vs Seth Lovers

LittleLeroy

You really think Johnny Winter's tone was warm & inviting? JW's tone was brighter than Albert Collins The Iceman!!! If you don't think Johnny Winter's tone was bright, then we will have to just cordially agree to disagree on tone (I have yet to hear anyone say that JW tone wasn't way too bright). But it is all good, we all have our own opinions. That's what is nice around hear we all have our own thoughts & differences.

Jon,

My read on this is... if you spent enough time in the 70's close to Marshall stacks, you just might have lost enough top end hearing for Johnny Winters sound to be on the mellow side. Loved the Progressive Blues Experiment and Second Winter albums when they were released.... lots of slide.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I too suspect the Seth and the 59 is the same wind and essentially the same PU. The difference being the potting and the Seth A2 magnet vs the 59 A5 magnet. The antiquities have a degaused A5, and probably the same winding as well.

I have heritages with both '59s and SLs, and they really are different in sound and FEEL. The 59s are pretty tight feeling and have a more modern sound. They have a clarity that the SLs do not have.

The SLs however are more "rude" sounding, and get that classic tone so much better than the '59s. It's all subjective, but my Millie with SL's can nail the classic rock tone better than the H150 with the '59s.

In the end though, it's what you intend to do with the guitar that really matters. Both are great pickups.

Thanks to everyone who's offered their experience, advice, opinions and good wishes. I've learned a lot about Heritage guitars and Duncan pickups and traded some laffs, too. I realize I'm a newbie, yet I have to say this is one of the best guitar forums I've had the pleasure to engage with.

What I haven't heard pros and cons for are the Jay Wolfe guitars that have the 59 in the neck and the SL in the bridge. Anyone care to offer an opinion? I'm looking at a couple he has available and would really love to hear how you feel about this combination.

Little Leroy I was at the Kenetic playground in the late 60s and saw Johnny Winter there as well. He was playing through 2 Fender Twin Reverbs, each amp loaded with JBLs, one stacked upon the other. That's 170 watts through 4 12" JBLs in a medium sized club! Very, very loud but I don't remember if it was screachy. Johnny amp settings were to roll all the knobs to 10. Good times.

Little Leroy I was at the Kenetic playground in the late 60s and saw Johnny Winter there as well. He was playing through 2 Fender Twin Reverbs, each amp loaded with JBLs, one stacked upon the other. That's 170 watts through 4 12" JBLs in a medium sized club! Very, very loud but I don't remember if it was screachy. Johnny amp settings were to roll all the knobs to 10. Good times.

Cool! I saw so many great bands and artists there. James Cotton, Paul Butterfield, Jefferson Airplane, The Mothers of Invention, Spirit, Peter Green w/Fleetwod Mac, Taj Mahal. Yup, good times indeed.

Many amps do not have the "presence" control and the way the specific circuitry reacts with the pick up signal results in harshness that could otherwise be easily dialed away

I saw Johnny Winter at Antones in Austin. Terrible tone with that Erlwine Laser guitar. I thought about leaving it was so piercing. But I stayed because it was Johnny Winter and who knew when he would pass through again.

I've played a lot of SD pickups. I like the Seth Lovers because they are smoother/quieter. I rather like the harmonic feedback I get when I play, but I have learned to control it in a way so it sounds good. I never liked 59's because they had too much output, too much bark when I was trying to get the guitar to purr.

Now I did have a Gibby Lester with a Seth in the neck and Pearly Gates in the bridge. That was a killer combination. I had my blues tone in the neck and my rock tone in the bridge. Odd thing was the Pearly Gates is an uncovered pickup. I tried the Seth uncovered, but I didn't like it. Made the tone a tad bit brighter, but maybe it was just me. Put the cover back on. Another guitar I sold and shouldn't have. Love to have that one back....

I decided to go for the devil I don't know and bought a 7.5lb NOS 2013 Faded Cherry H-535 with SD 59's from Westwood Music in LA. She'll be here early next week and I'll be able to get carnal knowledge. Hat's off to Graham at Wolfe Guitars for his stellar service and great pricing, but I just couldn't get with the 59 neck and SL bridge thing, knowing what the SL's sound like in my Amber. It just seemed to me the SL should be in the Neck and the 59 in the bridge. I know Wolfe sells lots of 'em, but well... personal taste.

Thanks once more for all the input. I will post some pics and my impressions.

My friend was Johnny's guitar teacher and bass player,he told me Johnny had the treble on 10 and the other tone controlled on zero..Jon Paris is one of the best in the buisness.still rocking at bb's NYC every Monday night.

I found both the 59s and the Seth Lovers (surprisingly) too bright for my tastes in my 535. If I tamed the treble with the tone knob, the articulation of the bass strings would disappear. It seemed like both those pickups had more output in the treble and bass region, and less midrange, than I wanted. After a lot of searching and listening, I found Sanford Magnetics in Canada. I put in a set of 1812s (recently renamed to Model 44) and couldn't be happier. They have a drier/woodier character, and by working the tone and volume knobs, I can dial in the sound I prefer. They have an almost P90 sound to them. If anyone in the southeast Michigan area is curious and ever want to hear them against your SLs or 59s, just let me know - we can meet up somewhere and A:B compare them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My friend was Johnny's guitar teacher and bass player,he told me Johnny had the treble on 10 and the other tone controlled on zero..Jon Paris is one of the best in the buisness.still rocking at bb's NYC every Monday night.

You mean on his amps, correct?

• 4 weeks later...

One of the benefits of the SD 59 is that it's potted so playing at higher stages of gain and volume can be done without any feedback.…

Potting is a big deal for me. Have to have it. Not just for feedback but I tend to click the pick against the pickup covers. That will come thru the amp if the pickup is not potted. That being said, you can have pickups potted. There are a few guys here in L.A. who can do it for you.

Archived