Heritage Owners Club

stereo power amps

bolero

anyone here have experience with a stereo power amp?

a friend of mine moved and left me one of these mesa 20/20 power amps

am wondering how to incorporate it into a guitar setup. I guess you could use a mono preamp & then have a stereo delay etc in between the preamp/amp?

2020.jpg

Am thinking it would work really well as a keyboard amp, feeding a leslie on one side and another cab on the other

One of my rigs uses a Carvin tube stereo amp. It is kind of a pain to use as it takes a up little too much room and other people in the bands complain but it sounds great. I run a Randall RM4 with four different tube preamps into a Digitech GSP1101 FX unit into the Carvin and then into a 1X12 cab for each side of the power amp. The amp is 50w per side and it sounds like God with stereo delay, reverb, chorus, etc. The stereo tube power amp is the key to it all. That is a nice amp your friend gave you and he is one hell of a friend!

Build yourself a nice little rack system.

A little rack system, ha!

^

5minutes

v

Man, walked away to make a cup of coffee and thought about building a rack unit the whole time!

Couple of nice pre's, Fender for the musicality and a Marshall for the knuts.

Some nice verbs, dlays. Rotary effect, trem and a couple of other wobbly ones and run it into open back one side and closed back the other side.

Opening multiple tabs now. Thanks. <_<

I have one of these, and it's a great little amp -- if you decide to part with it, let me know . . . .

The only problem with this model is that the fan is relatively loud. I actually replaced mine with a quieter one.

I run a Triaxis preamp -- which is mono in, mono effects loop out, stereo effects loop return, and stereo outs. I would guess that there are other preamps on the market with that same configuration. I run all stereo effects where it makes sense -- a doubler, a chorus, a flanger and reverb. I run a couple mono effects too. I get it all to work well, regardless of the effect in/out configuration, by using a rack mount Patchmate.

I run the outputs of the 20/20 into separate single 12" cabinets -- "separate" is important for actually hearing the stereo.

The resulting sound is incredible -- you get that real big guitar sound (think Boston -- or just about any other big guitar sound -- it's all due to the stereo nature). If you're are running through a PA, you'll need two channels for the guitar, one panned hard right and the other panned hard left.

I never run without one of the stereo effects on -- otherwise it would just sound mono. Normally I have the doubler on (a Keeley 30ms automatic double tracker) -- very slight and subtle, doesn't really affect the tone, just gives it that "stereo" sound.

I have the 20/20 and the Triaxis in one rack, and all the effects in another, mainly for weight reasons. It sounds great, and it is a lot of fun . . .

Archived