Heritage Owners Club

Top wrapping and buzz

gpuma

I never top wrapped my strings but I thought I just experimented a bit since I had to restring all of my axes anyway.

H357: no problem

H535: no problem

H150: the D string buzzed a lot. I tried to adjust the string heights with some improvement but the buzz is still there. It doesn't make any sense to me.

The height of the saddles does not change so why would I have to change the height of the string if I top wrap?

Any idea?

buzz, a topic that I can't resist.

I've always thought that, ceteris paribus, top wrapping would only change compliance - decreasing the friction on the saddle and increasing the string length. So, at pitch, tension is the same and I would assume that the travel of the transverse vibration doesn't increase.

But, then again, I'm well into my 2nd Colorado Bulldog and am feeling pretty good since I'm not a big drinker.

You are decreasing the angle from the saddle to the tail piece, so that means less tension. If the saddle is loose or the saddle was filed (correctly) for normal stringing, I could see how buzzing could occur at the saddle.

The h150 is the only guitar where I removed a the strings because it needed a fretboard clean up. I am inclined to think that the neck must have moved slightly because of that. Probably I need to adjust the truss rod.

It's not about tension, it's about compression on the bridge,the more the downward string angle after the bridge,the more compression on the saddles and bridge frame,the less the angle,the less downward compression.. more compression means more sound transmission into the guitar top, I top wrap my old 335 because if I dont,the strings bite the back of the frame behind the saddles,and I want my tail piece mounting screws buried deep...

as above

also if the neck angle is not steep enough, you can't get enough string tension on the saddles. since there is not enough height difference/break angle down to the stoptail

some guitars will top wrap well, some won't

a shallow neck angle means there is less drop from the bridge to the tailpiece

if you crank the tailpiece down as far as it will go, it may help

otherwise just run strings thru normally

ps at least some those lyre tailpiece SG's suffer the same symptoms....I tried a $5k reissue and the strings buzzed like crazy because of that stupid thing

unfortunately because it didn't have a stoptail, you were stuck with it as-is. and there was no way to lower the lyre tailpiece

crazy

Archived