Heritage Owners Club

Heritage 535 VS Gibson 335 Memphis Reissue Thickness Comparison

schundog

Knowing that I own both, Kuz called me the other day to ask if I noticed any discernible difference between the tone of the two, based of the difference in thickness. Being the intellectual that I am

, I thought, "umm, HUH??" haha. I haven't looked up any specs on either, but I always thought they were practically identical, thickness-wise. I think there is a bit of an optical illusion that the Gibson is thicker, as it's binding is thinner than that of a 535. See here:

DFFB7C35-5300-48B5-9FC6-2ED3EB8A1929_zps

Here is the measurement of each; pretty durn close. Maybe 1/8 of an inch difference? I would think that would be negligible.

CDE68A44-A8F4-41CF-84A6-357F48724555_zps

63D63F32-0B36-417B-BE4B-8F92A473CC5A_zps

Do they sound exactly the same? Of course not. But I attribute that to every other possible variable, including string type (DDarrio Chromes on the 535 currently, DDarrio 11 roundwound on the Gibson), and pickups (SD Antiquities in the 535, 57 Classics in the Gibson.) Thoughts from the crowd?

We've had this discussion before, re. 3xx Gibson semi's and Heritage semi's, and there is a difference in both specs and real measurements. I feel the difference when I play my 535 v. 355 and Epi Riviera Nashvile reissues, which are differently appointed 335's from '93, but, it's not a lot. In general, Heritage guitars are a little thinner than their Gibson ancestors/comparable models. I've always considered this a positive.

I think there is more difference in feel -- how it sits on a strap, how your arm wraps over it-- than in sound. Heritage is a little less bulky, and therefore maybe a bit more comfortable (maybe since I'm 5'7"), but not a great difference. I would agree that the minor difference in size would be very far down the list of any accounting of factors that influence sound.

Aren't all 535's built on the old Gibson jigs?

I thought the greatest difference between the two was Heritage using solid rims vs. Gibson's plywood rims. My favorite difference is that the Heritage input jack being mounted on the rim rather than in the top.

Aren't all 535's built on the old Gibson jigs?

I thought the greatest difference between the two was Heritage using solid rims vs. Gibson's plywood rims. My favorite difference is that the Heritage input jack being mounted on the rim rather than in the top.

plywood rims???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 2010 ES-335 '59 reissue from the custom shop. The first thing I noticed when I pulled my 535's case out of the shipping box was how much thinner the case was than my Gibson case. I hadn't realized the 535 was thinner by 1/8".

http://www.heritageownersclub.com/forums/topic/32012-fs-gibson-59-es-335-custom-shop-reissue-wohsc/

The Gibson has a more "compressed" feel unplugged; the 535 is more open feeling. This is a really noticeable difference between the two and the Gibson does feel good and is very lively. She has a lot more mids, but that's everything to do with the 57 Classics vs. the Seth Lovers, IMO, rather than the different thickness.

Heritage lists their H-535 rims at 1-5/8 inch.

Most G*&^%n have it listed at 1-3/4 inch.

I'll take Heritage!

I have a 2010 ES-335 '59 reissue from the custom shop. The first thing I noticed when I pulled my 535's case out of the shipping box was how much thinner the case was than my Gibson case. I hadn't realized the 535 was thinner by 1/8".

http://www.heritageownersclub.com/forums/topic/32012-fs-gibson-59-es-335-custom-shop-reissue-wohsc/

The Gibson has a more "compressed" feel unplugged; the 535 is more open feeling. This is a really noticeable difference between the two and the Gibson does feel good and is very lively. She has a lot more mids, but that's everything to do with the 57 Classics vs. the Seth Lovers, IMO, rather than the different thickness.

Heritage lists their H-535 rims at 1-5/8 inch.

Most G*&^%n have it listed at 1-3/4 inch.

I'll take Heritage!

Thanks, guys, for these posts. For some reason ...and I shouldn't let it bother me... it seems we revisit this discussion often. The vibe of the discussion is that it is sacrilege to say that the Heritage is thinner and feels thinner, but, that's just how it is by spec and by measurement. I've put calipers on my Heritage, Kzoo 355, and Nashville 93 Rivieras, and the Kzoo and Nashvile are 1 3/4, 5xx is 1 5-8ths. And anyone who plays semi's a bunch and plays both 5xx and 3xxx knows they feel different --the 535 feels thinner. I've even seen a few ads over the years fpr custom order 535's at the full 1 3/4 Gibson depth. How could they do that if they were already the same?

Keep in mind the original depth of ES-335's varied from 1.65 to 1.80 (http://www.es-335.net/weights.html) really on a guitar to guitar basis so the Heritage @ 1.625 is just a hair thinner than many vintage examples. The sides on gibsons were pressed veneer just like the tops. I had no idea H535's didn't have veneer sides, learn something every day!

Interesting topic, I have wondered myself. So I'm sitting here browsing the HOC and I should be feeding this guy and his brother:

DSC_2337_zpspjzjxxkv.jpg

But I notice I happen to have a 535 and a 335 in their cases right across the room, FWIW the 335 (middle case) is fatter than the 535's (bottom case). As I said FWIW ie not much ha ha.

DSC_2338_zpsjvklfe66.jpg

I'd take them out and measure them but someone is hungry and, after, he is the one who guards my guitars and I'm afraid he'll take a bit out of me if he gets any hungrier:

DSC_2315_zpspfyjvmqp.jpg

:

Interesting topic, I have wondered myself. So I'm sitting here browsing the HOC and I should be feeding this guy and his brother:

DSC_2337_zpspjzjxxkv.jpg

But I notice I happen to have a 535 and a 335 in their cases right across the room, FWIW the 335 (middle case) is fatter than the 535's (bottom case). As I said FWIW ie not much ha ha.

DSC_2338_zpsjvklfe66.jpg

I'd take them out and measure them but someone is hungry and, after, he is the one who guards my guitars and I'm afraid he'll take a bit out of me if he gets any hungrier:

DSC_2315_zpspfyjvmqp.jpg

:

There are, in this post, all the ingredients for a modern Aesop's fable about our society's relationship to science (measurement), but, then, you know what they say about sleeping dogs...

My experience is on a different, cheaper route...

I had an Epiphone Dot Deluxe and I found it to be a bit thicker than a 535. Of course it is just a China built guitar, but it still was rather nice and had some good tones.

• 3 weeks later...

That an English setter Larry?

No, just an old, and not very good, picture of our Golden Retriever, Rose, now approaching 11. I think I took it because of the kitten peaking over the couch, probably getting ready to jump on Rose, which was a game they played. (Looks like Rose was on to her --they were buds. I probably should have been getting my guitar out of the way.) It was the only picture that came to mind of "dog and 535."

Nice guitar and pup, JeffGuitar. There's a subset of HOC'sters always ready to post dog pics.

No, just an old, and not very good, picture of our Golden Retriever, Rose, now approaching 11. I think I took it because of the kitten peaking over the couch, probably getting ready to jump on Rose, which was a game they played. (Looks like Rose was on to her --they were buds. I probably should have been getting my guitar out of the way.) It was the only picture that came to mind of "dog and 535."

Nice guitar and pup, JeffGuitar. There's a subset of HOC'sters always ready to post dog pics.

Haha, nice. I didn't even notice the cat lurking at first glance...

Archived