Heritage Owners Club

Modulation/timebased fx, what are you using?

JeffB

Whats your favourite effect and the device you use to get it.

I know I like the tremolo effect. One of my earliest electric guitar memories involved a loud amp drenched in reverb and deep pulsing tremolo. Ive never shaken that memory of it. I was just a kid, about 8 or 9.

So Ive never been without trem but only rarely use it. You cant just slip it in to a lot of stuff.

Im down to a t-rex Tremster and the tremolo on a yamaha DG stomp. Theyre both quite all right. I thought the Boss TR-2 was quite alright also. Maybe its one of those effects thats not hard to replicate.

Another other is UniVibe, Bridge of Sighs etc. Its another effect you just cant drop in when ever you feel like it. So I never use it other than to entertain myself for a few minutes. I like the Skreddy Swirl that I have.

The other effect I like is the rotary speaker simulators. Ive used the real thing a few times so simulator is kind of the right word and kinda the wrong word.

I had the H&K Rotosphere. It was a good product. I really liked it. I didnt use it much. Again, one of those sounds that you cant use a lot of the time.

After having the Rotosphere just sit there for over a year untouched I sold it. I think that was a mistake.

The DG Stomp has a Rotary sim in it that isnt horrible but doesnt quite conform to the way I hear things. It is quite good though.

So, Im in a buying mood, multiple tabs open, but nothing pushing me over the edge. Thought I would ask the modulators here what their favourites are and see if that might clear a path to the buy now button. ;)

For modulation, I like to use the volume control on the amp. It generally, um, modulates the amp's loudness somewhere between quiet and not quiet.

And for delay, I usually rely on the speed of sound, which I originally learned in high shool to be 1089 feet/second, but I no longer have much faith in anything learned in high school, so that number may be wildly inaccurate. That delay occurs between the time of the speaker's cone movement and audio reception at my ears, and seems to work quite well in terms of letting me listen to what I'm playing. If I want to. To eliminate that pesky delay, I'll use headphones.

Seriously, though, I'm happy with just a touch of reverb (BYOC pedal) and a modicum of delay (Carbon Copy Analog).

Seriously, though, I'm happy with just a touch of reverb (BYOC pedal) and a modicum of delay (Carbon Copy Analog).

I'm wondering what settings on the Carbon Copy constitutes a modicum?

I also favor the Carbon Copy. Also, I'm an MXR junkie, so that is also joined by a micro chorus, micro finger, and phase 90 in my loop.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

It's difficult trying to differentiate between a modicum, a bit, a dab, a touch, a hair, and a dash. Wish pedals were labelled correctly.

The hard to find "bees dick" setting.

I rely on a multi effect pedal for most of the effects, a TC Electronics Nova System, analog effects digital switching in it's guts. From it I use delay, reverb, compression, boost, tremolo, octave, muted out tuner, and overdrive. For wah I use an Area 51, for volume, a Hilton volume pedal, and a neunaber immerse pedal for choices of diffrent reverbs, delay/reverb blended, and 2 shimmer setings. I use the shimmer for a secret really cool sounding effect that no one I know has, it sounds way cool when played out at a venue. I use the same effects whether the amp has a loop or needs to go in front.

I rely on a multi effect pedal for most of the effects, a TC Electronics Nova System, analog effects digital switching in it's guts. From it I use delay, reverb, compression, boost, tremolo, octave, muted out tuner, and overdrive. For wah I use an Area 51, for volume, a Hilton volume pedal, and a neunaber immerse pedal for choices of diffrent reverbs, delay/reverb blended, and 2 shimmer setings. I use the shimmer for a secret really cool sounding effect that no one I know has, it sounds way cool when played out at a venue. I use the same effects whether the amp has a loop or needs to go in front.

The Nova System is one of the things Im thinking about getting. It would be fx only, no OD . Im just not sure about it yet. Theyre cheap enough 2nd hand.

Side note, I just realised I typed "It would be fx only, no OD". OD is nothing but an effect. Its just so overused its now a normal state.

I've got several modulation pedals. The first is the MiniDejaVibe 2. I've always like the univibe sound that Hendrix and others used. The MDV has a pretty good handle on the original univibe. The second is a Liquid Chorus that sounds totally different from the univibe sound. Overall I like the way it sounds, as long as its kept to a reasonable level.

A few months ago, I picked up a Lester K. I've always loved the Leslie sound with a guitar, and thought it sounded ok on the Youtube videos. When I actually put it in the chain, it seems like its got too much chorus and not enough of the Doppler/volume modulation, especially in mono mode. When in stereo, things are a little better but there's no way I would mistake it for a real Leslie. I think the rotary sim in the POD is more realistic, for all its faults. I don't know if I'll keep the LesterK. The MDV plus the chorus gets pretty much the same sound when you put them together.

For now, I'll stick with what I have. I've got a new "wanna try" pedal on the horizon.

With the 633 Drive King (I love that amp!) I have a Strymon Lex for those fake Leslie sounds, a Voodoo Labs tremolo, TC Electronics Corona chorus and Flashback delay in the effects loop, placed on top of the amp and switched remotely with a couple of Gigrig Remote Loopy 2 units.

13350348_1143870259020095_88832829906248

13346233_1143870262353428_91047790541346

The second picture shows Ernie Ball Wah and Volume pedals, plus an EH Soul Food for a bit of cleanish boost. Note also the 633 footswitch has a 9V supply for pedals.

I also have a bunch of other pedals, including a TC Nova System which I occasionally use with a Rolls 128 midi pedal - very useful for easily accessing more than three presets.

I recently went looking for a delay to replace my DD7's that I were convinced were dicking with my sound.

it was quite a big deal for me and I was quite focused on the whole research and then hunt. An intense short period of my life.

Im still not 100% sure the DD7's were altering the sound but havnt tried them again in case they werent.

I bought a TC Nova Repeater and I think it doesnt mess with my sound, other than add delays.

It was about a week later when I dug out the DGStomp to get ready to sell it.

It was then that it hit me, I already had another couple of delays to try. The DG has a digital delay and tape echo, which is also a digital delay.

Theyre not bad. Lacking some controls but they work pretty good and sound alright.

Here I am, 2am in the morning, multiple tabs open checking out things mentioned and pictured in this thread and in reviews and other forums bought up in google search.

Meanwhile, sitting in front of me and run through the fx loop of my amp, the DG Stomp.

Equipped with, chorus, flanger, phaser, rotary and tremolo, the two delays previously mentioned and a usable reverb with three modes. Tap tempo, midi in/out, exp pedal and in preset bypass/pedal board mode, a global eq. Not only that, its about the right size.

And Im playing through it and have been since I got it out to sell it.

Its just nuts, I am, I went out and had another try of the L6 M9 today to see if it was how I remembered it, it was. I tried the Boss GT1 and Zoom G3 to see if they lived up to the hype or criticisms and for all of that theyre all just as good or as bad as the DG stomp.

You know, I just never made the connection that I didnt have to sell it and that it had all that stuff in it.

Sharp as a tack.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a big fan of chorus but can't stand most chorus pedals. The answer was Red Witch's Empress. Amazing chorus/vibration pedal. It's hard for me to turn off.

I also think the Wampler Faux Tape Echo is a vastly underrated delay pedal.

I picked up a TC Electronics Nova Modulator.

It has Chorus, tri chorus, flanger, tz flanger, phaser, trem and vibrato.

X2, so you can run 2 fx at the same time.

What surprised me was out of all of the fx I really love the vibrato. Ive always avoided it. Didnt realize it was my kind of thing. Its wicked! when you have it going on both sides at the same time the room size fluctuates and the walls, floor and ceiling start folding in on themselves. I opened the music room door after jamming the other day and walked into the neighbours kitchen. That was after using very mild settings. So thats piqued my curiosity a bit.

Archived