Heritage Owners Club

New Fender Mustang GT Amplifier Introduced

I have been an unapologetic advocate of the advances in modelling technology, and have enjoyed my Fender Mustang III version 1 right along with my several tube amps, including a 67 Blackface Pro Reverb and a 77 Silverface Vibrolux Reverb. The Mustang has been around for 5 years, a lifetime in the digital world between new models. They were/are really good, and it's replacement was going to have to be a big step up. I am just a ways into this video, but it seems like they have really outdone themselves. I'll have to give one a whirl once they hit stores, and, if I were a gambling man, I'd say that I'll probably have one of the 100 watt version amps in the next year or two.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am a huge fan of the Mustang Amp Series. I have many great tube amps, JCM 800, fender silverfaces (many) Rivera era.

We played our last gig this past weekend and I ended up using my Mustang III Version II with my Mustang V head as a backup.

If the new series is an improvement of what was already a great amp. I can't wait to hear it.

You can buy a Mustang III v2 (100 watts) new (during GuitarCenter Sales events for about $260 and it is guaranteed for 5 years). Best bang for the buck out there.

THanks for the link Brian. I will have to check that out. I might have to sell a few pedals to get a new amp :P

Josh, how long does it have to last before it becomes obsolete? I don't look at these like I do high end stuff, because it's not MEANT to be a 50 years-still-running-strong Fender; It's offering the latest-greatest for the here and now, and if it quirks out after the 5 year warranty, well, what have you lost?! Furthermore, when is the last time you (or I) kept anything long enough to run it out of warranty ANYWAY!! haha. I totally realize that it's not everybody's cup of tea, and breaks the rule of "boutique amps for boutique guitars" that many have around here, but I'm just a hobbyist hack, and have a blast with this kind of stuff. When I can get one of the 100 watt ones for close to $250 with a Musicians Friend sale, it will be pretty hard to resist.

Retro grouch, old school, traditionalist, tube driven stick-in-the-mud here.... That having been said, just watched the entire video. Pretty remarkable stuff! Could lock myself in the music room for months with the big one!

Retro grouch, old school, traditionalist, tube driven stick-in-the-mud here.... That having been said, just watched the entire video. Pretty remarkable stuff! Could lock myself in the music room for months with the big one!

Ditto!

I use a solid state amp all the time. The Mustang GT looks like it might be great for doing lessons. Thanks for posting the video Mr Schundog. I think I may be very tempted to get the little one for teaching assuming it's similarly priced to the current ones.

I had a Line 6 Pod Pro XT a long time ago and recorded someone's album with it. The sounds, even at that time were pretty damn good. So good I would defy anyone to tell whether it was real tubes or digital modeling. My only complaint was it never quite "felt" right. I have not messed with the Fractal, Mustang or the new Line 6 stuff so I am not sure where they are on that feel thing. I still have a Digitech GSP 1101 and a Line 6 Pod HD 500X in the studio but mostly use them for FX and I have no complaint with the digital FX models at all.

The digital stuff is getting to be pretty amazing anymore, not to mention how affordable they are. Although it's not digital, I've been using a new Roland Blues Cube Hot. I don't have the need for a big cranking tube amp these days (unfortunately), so the Roland fits the bill.

...and all of that having been said, and earnestly (not to be confused with Earnest Angley), I'll still gig this weekend with a Suhr Badger 30 and Marshall 4x10 cab.

There is power in tradition and ritual.

...and all of that having been said, and earnestly (not to be confused with Earnest Angley), I'll still gig this weekend with a Suhr Badger 30 and Marshall 4x10 cab.

Badgers?! We don't need no steeking Badgers!!! :P

Different strokes for different folks. For 250 bucks I could buy parts and build an amp that has all killer and no filler REAL tone...

that doesn't have to imitate anything!

Schundog!

OooWWwwOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooOOOOOOO!

Boutique amps for boutique guitars!

:o

Hey, just kidding... The beer swillin' cheap cigar smokin' redneck with the bigass beer belly bobbing over the Memphis cut overalls got let out for a sec... :P

I agree that it can be freakin' cool to have that kind of ecclesiastical flexibility in guitar voices at your fingertips, especially with a wide palette of tones that playing covers out often calls for. Amps like this are the future of store bought tone, like it or not. There has been a lot of progress in recent years. I doubt you will see many prestigious recording studio operators buying this amp, though. Time will tell. .

Recently I sold a Hughes and Kettner Tube 20 combo in 100% operating condition to a female friend's dad for his regularly gigging daughter's birthday present. I originally paid somewhere around 375 bucks for it shipped from eBay close to 10 years ago in used condition. I sold it for 300. That resale value meant that I got to keep and enjoy that amp for a very long time for what ended up being less than ten bucks a year. Most of the amps in my stable will have excellent resale value. Two of my last three amps I sold from my stable were for more than what my original cost was. Only three amps of mine were purchased new, the majority were acquired 40 cents on the dollar, but when they sell, they will go for very similar money. Free rent.

With that said, if you don't spend a lot to get it, you don't need much to let it go, huh?

My amp herd needs some thinning thanks to two recently acquired Redplate amps. I'll skip that new Mustang, features and value that it appears to be and all, and, looking in the mirror, rather spend the money on guitar lessons. :blink: YMMV.

It does sound like a ton of fun to explore that amp, enjoy!

I tried out the 40 watt table top GT yesterday. I have to say it sounded really good. Lots of features. The 40 watt would be great for practicing in your home only. I may pick one up to bring on vacations, but i'm still on the fence. I too am a tube amp snob.

Well, I caved in sooner than I expected: I ordered one from Musician's Friend last weekend, as they had a 12% "sale" going on. Of course, Fender wasn't eligible online, but I've rarely had them tell me "no" when I call the 800 number and ask for the discount. No sales tax, so I got it for $351. I can't believe it's only 22 pounds! I don't know how they made it so light. I followed the instructions, and updated the firmware immediately after connecting to our home's wifi and pairing the amp and phone through Bluetooth. I then registered the amp on the new Fender Tone app on my iphone, and was able to scroll through the presets right on my phone, make changes to the amp parameters, add/delete effects, and save the presets, all from across the room. It may seem like a gimmick, but it beats hovering over the amp every time you want to make a change. I cranked it up for about 15 minutes last night, blasted some guitar heavy music through itunes, Bluetooth connected, at higher volume this morning after the kids and wife left for the day, and ran through several of the amp models tonight. As good as it sounds now, others report that the sound improves dramatically once the speaker has a few hours play time on it.

I have a learning curve ahead, but I'm looking forward to exploring this amp more in the months to come. I'm going to try to A/B this new model to my Version 1 Mustang III sometime soon. Once I'm convinced that the GT is a significant step up, I'll probably let the old Version 1 go. The problem is, of course, resale on ANYTHING computer based loses value really quickly. It still does what it does very well, so if I'm only going to get like $150 for it, I'll just keep it, too.....

Another YouTube channel I follow is an Australian chap, Shane on InTheBlues. He did a honest review and while he has the most patches ever for the original series (both in number of patches and downloads), he still says the tone of his Peavey Bandit smokes the new Mustang GT.

I subscribe to that channel, to Josh, and I heard him say that. Frankly, he was kind of a pissy little baby when he was talking about how fender wouldn't give him an amp to do these reviews. I think he had a bit of sour grapes involved in his opinion. I get his point, to an extent, but, as I'm sure you have learned in your MBA classes, a third-party endorsement is better than tooting your own horn in many instances. Center doesn't have to pay the guy, he's an unbiased observer, and he sings the praises?! Fender got the best unpaid advertising they could get with his YouTube mustang Mondays. I still say, let the speaker break in, and let's see what Shane comes up with. I downloaded ( from my recliner with my iPhone to the camp 10 feet away ) his latest in the blues patch for a tweed town with some reverb. It sounds excellent. The guy really knows how to dial them in, which is half the battle with these modelers. I know they aren't for everyone, and I have not taken my Mustang three into the pawnshop yet. I know some may see a bandit as a far inferior amplifier, but honestly, there's nothing wrong with them, either. I just wouldn't compare it to what the new Mustang GT has to offer. I will bring it with me to PSP if anyone wants to fart around with it.

Shane has an online shop, that sells guitar gear.

I dig the guys playing, tones, enthusiasm, presentation and mannerisms. Great vids/demos. Pretty straight to the point. But not unbiased at all. No one is.

the only source of unbiased reviews is TGP

:D:D:D:D

seriously, nobody is unbiased. Nobody. When you are trying something you have your biases that you are not even aware of.

I, on the other hand, am very unbiased. American pizza sucks.

Archived