Heritage Owners Club

New Fender Mustang GT Amplifier Introduced

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My Mustang III is the older "version 1." This made it easier for me to justify the version 3 GT to myself, lol. There are some features of the old versions that made more sense to me (actual, visible white buttons to change amps, effects, delay/reverb. Lots of menus to roll through on the new one, although the app makes a lot of this more convenient. You just have to go into it knowing that it will be obsolete in the not too distant future, while our Vintage tube amps will, with proper maintenance, go on snd on.

While it would be great if every modeling amp agreed with everyone's sense of tone, right out of the box, everyone's tastes are different. I felt the GT was darker than I prefer, so I changed the global EQ setting to "bright." I use Fender amps mostly, so that's more the tone I hear in my head. Much better to my ears already.

Then, after reading some tips on other forums, I started swapping cabinets on different amp models, and found the 412 V30 cab sounds huge, loud and proud with most of the amps models I tried.

There are other settings that can be adjusted such as sag and bias, but I haven't gotten around to messing with them.... yet.

the only source of unbiased reviews is TGP

:D:D:D:D

seriously, nobody is unbiased. Nobody. When you are trying something you have your biases that you are not even aware of.

I, on the other hand, am very unbiased. American pizza sucks.

Ha! TGP. Man, theres a can of worms.

Ive had American pizza on several occasions. Out of all the pizza Ive eaten, and Ive eaten a lot, they were definitely some of them.

Im unbiased, I know what I like and if the colour or design is wrong Im not even going to try it.

Another YouTube channel I follow is an Australian chap, Shane on InTheBlues. He did a honest review and while he has the most patches ever for the original series (both in number of patches and downloads), he still says the tone of his Peavey Bandit smokes the new Mustang GT.

Actually, I think he said it sounded "so much better with pedals," but either way, he's DEFINITELY not a fan of the Mustang GT: He posted this rather scathing review about why he returned the one he bought a couple days ago. I really don't get it; I would think he would have given it a fair shake, after how jazzed he was about the Version 2 Mustang. Anyway, I'm not throwing in the towel just yet. Here's Shane's "unbiased" review.

I wasn't going to share that just because...

But Shane was talking about using it on a Live setting and how there are some features in the V2 that aren't present.

One comment he had was he doesn't think the GT is well suited for live playing.

Footswitch issues seem to be a major headache.

But he is going back to the V2 to bring back Mustang Mondays because the patches on V2 are compatible with GT, but not vise-versa.

In a way, I don't blame him for what he is doing... I also thought it was rather amusing he traded it in for a Blues Junior III and went through two of them that had bad reverb tanks...

So he bought a guitar instead....

There's other kinds of pizzas?

(hijack)

Little Caesars rules!

My Mustang III is the older "version 1." This made it easier for me to justify the version 3 GT to myself, lol. There are some features of the old versions that made more sense to me (actual, visible white buttons to change amps, effects, delay/reverb. Lots of menus to roll through on the new one, although the app makes a lot of this more convenient. You just have to go into it knowing that it will be obsolete in the not too distant future, while our Vintage tube amps will, with proper maintenance, go on snd on.

While it would be great if every modeling amp agreed with everyone's sense of tone, right out of the box, everyone's tastes are different. I felt the GT was darker than I prefer, so I changed the global EQ setting to "bright." I use Fender amps mostly, so that's more the tone I hear in my head. Much better to my ears already.

Then, after reading some tips on other forums, I started swapping cabinets on different amp models, and found the 412 V30 cab sounds huge, loud and proud with most of the amps models I tried.

There are other settings that can be adjusted such as sag and bias, but I haven't gotten around to messing with them.... yet.

The Sag and Bias settings make the most difference for me when I go from on.e guitar to another.

I have found that I can copy the patch to another preset location, then adjust that particular preset (say going from a strat to les paul). In the new preset location (same patch copied over), just hit the amp button twice in a row (don't need to do it through software) and bingo. Sag and bias settings (we know there is no sag or bias in this digital wonder), but I don't touch any of the other parameters of the preset.

SO I DO HAVE A BIASED opinion of BIAS and SAG. Just unbias your opinion using the bias setting and you are unbiased (BAD GUITAR HUMOR :D )

Brian, :D how are the controls on the amp. Can you deep editing without the iphone interface?

Hey, Bob, Yes you can. This video just scratches the surface, but you can also change cabs on the amp (I highly recommend the 412 GB for a LOT of amps!) and change the bias and sag right from the amp. Still, download the app on your phone, because you won't believe how easy and addictive it is to make tweaks without going over to the amp.

https://www.fender.com/apps/tone-app-amp-controller/

• 3 weeks later...

Retro grouch, old school, traditionalist, tube driven stick-in-the-mud here.... That having been said, just watched the entire video. Pretty remarkable stuff! Could lock myself in the music room for months with the big one!

Ditto!

Ditto Ditto...

BUT progress is undeniable, and to quote Duke Ellington: "If it sounds good, it is good". The Mustang models I've played sound pretty darn good, and this next iteration seems like they are getting better and better.

Update with additional uses; the 14 year old had a pool party last night with 19 other recent 8th grade graduates. It was pretty crazy, and of course they wanted to stream their music. I had failed to charge up my small JBL Bluetooth speaker, so I brought the Mustang GT out, and let one of the boys act as DJ all night. I wasn't sure I wasn't going to have a cop knock on the door, warning about the noise, but we were done by 8:00 pm. It sounded great, obviously much fuller bass than the small speaker I usually use out there.

Update with additional uses; the 14 year old had a pool party last night with 19 other recent 8th grade graduates. It was pretty crazy, and of course they wanted to stream their music. I had failed to charge up my small JBL Bluetooth speaker, so I brought the Mustang GT out, and let one of the boys act as DJ all night. I wasn't sure I wasn't going to have a cop knock on the door, warning about the noise, but we were done by 8:00 pm. It sounded great, obviously much fuller bass than the small speaker I usually use out there.

Awesome.

I have to say I'm impressed with the Mustang III v. 2. Had a jam with it yesterday, and the others thought it sounded great. (So did I.)

Brian, you need to get your family under control!!! Looks like everyone is having too much fun, especially the wild woman!!

I bought the new boss katana100, sent it back . Then I picked up a Marshall code50 and it's going back today . These combo style amps sound like a , am radio in a shoebox .this fender I have not tried. I don't think small modeling amps are for me, but I am in need of a combo . I had a mesa Electra dyne and it was awesome . Best combo for me plus it's only the only amp I have tried that will give a 4x12 a run for its money . To bad it's like 65 pounds. I see the quilter and looks cool but I still would need a speaker cab . Kinda defeats the small combo theory. Sooo,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kinda hard to go from the Electadyne to any of the amps you are talking about. Its an absolute gem of an amp. Probably my favourite modern Mesa.

If every guitar related thing I owned was stolen, burnt or destroyed somehow and I had to start again the ED would be the amp.

• 2 weeks later...

Just picked up the new line 6 spider v 240hc . I must say I am pretty impressed . I got it because of the stereo full range system and it sounds awesome !! They really have changed me along way . It's fun to experiment again . The drum loop sounds good to . Lots of different tones .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived