Heritage Owners Club

New Fender Mustang GT Amplifier Introduced

The honeymoon ain't over. In fact, I feel like I have barely scratched the surface. This has been a pretty controversial product roll-out for Fender, with a lot of haters online, most of who didn't give it a fair shake. The speaker needs to break in, several tweaks I've mentioned above, etc, but it sounds a good bit better than my 1st generation Mustang III. I have learned through my journey through digital modelling that I need to just find 5 or 6 settings, max, that I spend most of my time with. Otherwise, you just end up turning knobs, saying "that's cool... ohh, so's that... so's that..." You never end up playing songs, or, God forbid, trying to get better on the guitar!!

I totally realize that an investment in a digital amp is like buying any late model electronic item; it's going to be obsolete in a short period of time as technology marches on. Still, the very cool thing with the GT is the fact that Fender can, if they chose, issue updates that are easily applied over wifi. They probably rolled this thing out before the bugs were worked out, but they have already issued several updates that have made improvements along the way. The latest one not only made navigation on the amp easier, they actually made the amp models sound better! They list the changes in their "knowledge database" on their owners forum. I love my tube amps, too, but what you buy is what you have for forever; no real updates. This is a whole new animal, and I am digging it more and more. Obviously, the Fender models are my favorite. $350 out the door from Musician's Friend, I don't expect it to be an AxeFX or Kemper Profiler. For a hobbyist like me, it's more than enough (until something even more amazing hits the streets.)

Here are the notes from the latest update.

Mustang GT Firmware Version Release Notes

Mustang GT Firmware Version Release Notes

Version 1.2.25 (Jun 27, 2017)

Added Aux In / Bluetooth Volume Control as a menu option. The default volume setting is now “Master”. Note that this setting is different from the current functionality. With this setting the Aux In / Bluetooth volume is controlled by the front panel master volume control. The user can return to the existing functionality by setting the menu option to “Normal”. Additionally, there are two more options, “High” and “Low”, which allow for further customization of the maximum volume setting.
Added a two-step verification process for Bluetooth audio pairing.
Added a few new Global EQ settings including Guitar Focus 1 and Guitar Focus 2.
Added footswitch support for Setlists. After selecting a Setlist in the menu, the user can now change presets in the list from the footswitch.
Added a menu option to disable the looper access from the footswitch.
Added “empty” presets in all unoccupied memory locations. All 200 locations will now show Fender factory presets, user presets or “empty” presets.
Added a “CLEAR PRESET” option in the main menu. After clearing a preset it will show as “empty”.
Added a “SAVE AS” preset option in the save menu to allow the user to save a preset in any of the 200 memory locations. A blue list item means the slot is “empty” and a red list item means that a preset already exists in that location.
Changed the cloud preset “SAVE” functionality to the above “SAVE AS” functionality.
Added Encoder scrolling acceleration when scrolling through the 200 presets.
All Cabinets are now available to all Amp Models.
Added the option to Rename a Setlist in the Setlist edit menu.
Fixed the DELETE SETLIST and DELETE PRESET bug in a Setlist.
EXP-1 Global settings are now saved when cycling power
Various other bug fixes and enhancements.

Version 1.1.2 (May 16th 2017)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Brian. I see it has a loop circuit. Have you tried that?

I was checking them out at a local Mom and Pop. Probably going to get it. Looks like fun!

I bought the new boss katana100, sent it back . Then I picked up a Marshall code50 and it's going back today . These combo style amps sound like a , am radio in a shoebox .this fender I have not tried. I don't think small modeling amps are for me, but I am in need of a combo . I had a mesa Electra dyne and it was awesome . Best combo for me plus it's only the only amp I have tried that will give a 4x12 a run for its money . To bad it's like 65 pounds. I see the quilter and looks cool but I still would need a speaker cab . Kinda defeats the small combo theory. Sooo,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i have the Quilter MicroPro Mach II 1x8" combo. It does a great job for grab and go, sounds even fuller through a 2x12. Also, the Quilter MicroBlock 45 (pedal sized amp) works great with extension cabinets. Both amps sound really good, much better than any digital modeling stuff I've heard. Just a thought....

Hey Brian. I see it has a loop circuit. Have you tried that?

I was checking them out at a local Mom and Pop. Probably going to get it. Looks like fun!

I have not tried the looper. (Not to be confused with Yooper, who's previous generation Mustang does not have a looper....)

One common complaint about the GTs is that the only one that comes with a footswitch is the GT200. You can buy a 4 button switch, but they are around $60, I think. I have the 4 button switch from my old Mustang, and it will work with the new GT, but the buttons have different functions, like, ya know, the looper! Fender has a PDF overlay with the updated functions available. I just haven't gotten that far into it yet. Still having fun tweaking the Fender models to my desired preference. I plan to bring my GT100 to PSP, if anyone wants to give it a go.

• 1 month later...

That Mustang was a cool deal to hear over PSP. Adjusting on the fly though via bluetooth on your phone was really cool.

Its a shame, there wasn't an opportunity for the open jam we are used to.

I would liked to have heard it with a band.

I have not tried the looper. (Not to be confused with Yooper, who's previous generation Mustang does not have a looper....)

One common complaint about the GTs is that the only one that comes with a footswitch is the GT200. You can buy a 4 button switch, but they are around $60, I think. I have the 4 button switch from my old Mustang, and it will work with the new GT, but the buttons have different functions, like, ya know, the looper! Fender has a PDF overlay with the updated functions available. I just haven't gotten that far into it yet. Still having fun tweaking the Fender models to my desired preference. I plan to bring my GT100 to PSP, if anyone wants to give it a go.

I am happy you brought it, I was intrigued by it and enjoyed hearing it, and I have some interest especially at its price point. I mentioned it to the wife when I got home and her response was, "well you had your chance when you stopped at Sweetwater on the way home". Are you kidding me? Why didn't she text me that WHILE I was AT Sweetwater!!!

These Mustangs and Quilters are damn good.

I'm taking my M3 to this weekend's big outdoor party gig up north.

Where up north! Toledo?

Where up north! Toledo?

Why the Yooper don'tcha know?

Us Lowlander, Trolls, call it the Upper Peninsula (of Michigan). They call us Trolls because we live below the Mackinaw bridge. They are called Yoopers because the French-Canadian accent they have. Think of it sort of like this...

https://youtu.be/w1RN3cYnY9k

or this....

https://youtu.be/DZOC1QXTQLk

Upper Peninsula = UP.

UP-er = Yooper

Not a French-Canadian accent. Yooper-ese, eh?

Start with the band Da Yoopers:

And check out the article:

"You’ve Probably Never Heard Of A Yooper, But Here’s Why You’ll Wish You Were One"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/27/yoopers-upper-peninsula-new-word_n_5042423.html

Upper Peninsula = UP.

UP-er = Yooper

Not a French-Canadian accent. Yooper-ese, eh?

Start with the band Da Yoopers:

And check out the article:

"You’ve Probably Never Heard Of A Yooper, But Here’s Why You’ll Wish You Were One"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/27/yoopers-upper-peninsula-new-word_n_5042423.html

Afte working with a few French Canadians lately, I think there is a very close relationship.

Archived