Heritage Owners Club

Approved Gear in Vintage Guitar

skydog52

Sorry for all the posts. They sent me a PDF and it took me awhile........................................................................................................................................

Very good to see this out there. I hope folks are not scared off by the limited edition $6000 price tag though, and look further to see what kind of quality they still get with a standard Heritage.

(Begin meltdown.)

$6000.00 for a Heritage solidbody? Years ago I set a personal limit that I would not pay more than $4000.00 for a guitar. I've come close more than once. The idea was that there is no reason in the world for a guitar to cost more than that. But if there was a valid reason for a guitar costing over $4K, I sure as hell wouldn't NEED a guitar like that and whatever guitar playing I would ever want to do would have to be accomplished with one which cost under $4K. If Heritage wants to compete with Gibson pricing, they better have a name as big as Gibson's to do it because part of Gibson's pricing is the name. Gibson PLEK's their fretboards. Has Heritage figured out how to operate a PLEK machine yet? Both Heritage and Gibson use a similar enough construction method for building a fretboard and both require a PLEK job. Gibson PLEKS theirs but Heritage doesn't and still wants to compete with Gibson pricing?

As unbelievable as it may sound to me, right now PRS core line guitars are actually cheaper than Heritage guitars and they have made serious advancements over the past two years in guitar building technology. They are built better, they sound better, they look great and and they don't need a PLEK right out of the box because they use a different construction method. They also have a many layered quality control system.(to compare apples to apples, I'll cite the PRS McCarty 594 Singlecut) Does Heritage even measure the water content of their lumber before making a guitar out of it?

I am glad I got the last two brand new Heritage guitars that I bought when I did because those are likely to have been the LAST new Heritage guitars I will ever buy! And yes, they both needed a $225.00 PLEK job right out of the box! The computer scan and fret buzz doesn't lie! Yes, Heritage is building them better now under the new ownership but they are delusional if they think I'm going to buy a fancy-pants looking solid body guitar for $6000.00 just because it was made in a historically significant building!

(End of meltdown)

The $6K price tag is MSRP. In the store you are going to get it in the $4.5K range. Still a premium price for sure. Looks like a premium guitar. If we turned the clock back to the mid 2000's and I was looking for this level of guitar again, I'd have Heritage in the candidates.

For the record, PRS stopped listing guitars with MSRP. Now they just list MAP.

Just for a point of reference I have one listed at $4199.00.

I sold another one recently in that price range. FWIW

Another thought/perspecitve from a long time Heritage fan...

Remember Heritage Guitar's early days of inconsistent build quality, expected post-purchase 'adjustments', suspect hardware and most of all, very inexpensive prices?

Many of us complained over and over about why the factory needed to up its game in order to compete in a tough market. We were pulling for Heritage to improve and become more consistent with their products. At the same time we enjoyed bargain-basement pricing for new or custom optioned guitars. And buying used Heritages was a cheap investment for a decent guitar, no matter what model one wanted.

Well, it looks like we got our wishes granted. True, high quality, hand made, dare I say, "boutique" level instruments. But all of the improvements came with a price. No more brand new $2,000 archtops or $1,500 solid body guitars like in the '80's or '90's. That's when we could also buy a USED Heritage 140 or 150 for around a grand...or less! Used Sweet 16's went for under $2k, and Golden Eagles just around $2k!

Now Heritage is in another league...playing with the 'big boys' of high end guitar makers. And more power to them!! As pointed out above, compared to Custom Shop Gibbys, Heritage (true custom, hand made) guitars still are a relative bargain...Just not as much of a bargain as they used to be when they were in their initial humble beginnings. I too wish the article in Vintage Guitar included 'street prices' so that readers would have a better real life idea of what a new Heritage could cost. But at least the word is getting out that they are now a player ready for the big leagues.

Another thought/perspecitve from a long time Heritage fan...

Remember Heritage Guitar's early days of inconsistent build quality, expected post-purchase 'adjustments', suspect hardware and most of all, very inexpensive prices?

Many of us complained over and over about why the factory needed to up its game in order to compete in a tough market. We were pulling for Heritage to improve and become more consistent with their products. At the same time we enjoyed bargain-basement pricing for new or custom optioned guitars. And buying used Heritages was a cheap investment for a decent guitar, no matter what model one wanted.

Well, it looks like we got our wishes granted. True, high quality, hand made, dare I say, "boutique" level instruments. But all of the improvements came with a price. No more brand new $2,000 archtops or $1,500 solid body guitars like in the '80's or '90's. That's when we could also buy a USED Heritage 140 or 150 for around a grand...or less! Used Sweet 16's went for under $2k, and Golden Eagles just around $2k!

Now Heritage is in another league...playing with the 'big boys' of high end guitar makers. And more power to them!! As pointed out above, compared to Custom Shop Gibbys, Heritage (true custom, hand made) guitars still are a relative bargain...Just not as much of a bargain as they used to be when they were in their initial humble beginnings. I too wish the article in Vintage Guitar included 'street prices' so that readers would have a better real life idea of what a new Heritage could cost. But at least the word is getting out that they are now a player ready for the big leagues.

Well put Tim!

Truly the final product coming out of Parsons St. is much improved. They had to step up their game to compete with a lot of competition.

Just like any product that's sold these days you do it or die. Believe me the old guard was one step away from that happening.

Pride and loyalty to their workers kept them going for awhile. This came along at the right time.

Comparing to Gibson Historics isn't a good idea. Once they went to 5-6k on those guitars you see what's happened? Very VERY few 2017 Historic Les Paul reissues around at the moment and the used ones are selling around 50% new cost all day long.

(Begin meltdown.)

$6000.00 for a Heritage solidbody? Years ago I set a personal limit that I would not pay more than $4000.00 for a guitar. I've come close more than once. The idea was that there is no reason in the world for a guitar to cost more than that. But if there was a valid reason for a guitar costing over $4K, I sure as hell wouldn't NEED a guitar like that and whatever guitar playing I would ever want to do would have to be accomplished with one which cost under $4K. If Heritage wants to compete with Gibson pricing, they better have a name as big as Gibson's to do it because part of Gibson's pricing is the name. Gibson PLEK's their fretboards. Has Heritage figured out how to operate a PLEK machine yet? Both Heritage and Gibson use a similar enough construction method for building a fretboard and both require a PLEK job. Gibson PLEKS theirs but Heritage doesn't and still wants to compete with Gibson pricing?

As unbelievable as it may sound to me, right now PRS core line guitars are actually cheaper than Heritage guitars and they have made serious advancements over the past two years in guitar building technology. They are built better, they sound better, they look great and and they don't need a PLEK right out of the box because they use a different construction method. They also have a many layered quality control system.(to compare apples to apples, I'll cite the PRS McCarty 594 Singlecut) Does Heritage even measure the water content of their lumber before making a guitar out of it?

I am glad I got the last two brand new Heritage guitars that I bought when I did because those are likely to have been the LAST new Heritage guitars I will ever buy! And yes, they both needed a $225.00 PLEK job right out of the box! The computer scan and fret buzz doesn't lie! Yes, Heritage is building them better now under the new ownership but they are delusional if they think I'm going to buy a fancy-pants looking solid body guitar for $6000.00 just because it was made in a historically significant building!

(End of meltdown)

I have to say that agree with the majority of this. After the disappointment with the 30th Anniversary H157 a couple of years ago, I pretty much swore off ever buying a new Heritage guitar. I do have to say the Phelam Blue 535 & 150 models are really testing my resolve.

Archived