Heritage Owners Club

H-555 agoraphobia (fear of taking it out of the house)

asharrow

So, I have an awesome H-555 which is hands down the most near perfect guitar that I own.

I just don't want to take it out of the house.

When I go to band practice or play a gig I use my other guitars.

At home I seem to be able to play a little better, just reach a little notch higher playing the H-555. But I am just chicken shit to take it out of the house.

Anyone else have this problem?

I totally understand; but get over it! It was made to be played, not kept in the case. Unless you are playing a shady club in a bad part of town, get her out of the house once in a while. Consider it your civic duty to promote the brand, haha.

I have one guitar like that too, so I totally relate. It's been to a recording studio but other than that it stays home.

On the other hand:

Some to the worst damage my guitars have sustained has happened in my house, stupid accidents. So being at home isn't necessarily safe.

I understand and have had "H-555 agoraphobia", so I can relate. I bought mine new and as in your case, it was the most beautiful and perfect guitar I had ever owned up to that point. It stayed home for almost a year before I finally took her out for band practice and gigs. Once, the keyboard player bumped into it during a hasty set-up on a tight stage. I yelled at him for getting too close to her and almost cried until I realized the bump was minimal and barely visible. After the gig I also noticed tiny worming impressions in the backside of the guitar from my shirt buttons. Again, barely visible to anyone but me, but it was painful nonetheless.

Amazingly, since that episode, I've had NO problem taking my 555 anywhere!! I'm still very careful, but now she is my musical soul-mate. After the first bump or ding...and (in my case, after the crying ceases)... you too will be fine playing out with your guitar. As Schundog said, that's what they are for.

Take that gorgeous Triple Nickel out to party!!!

There made to be played ,, not just a piece of furniture ,,,. Not to mention the promotional value you for heritage guitars. Play it ,promote it,and protect it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely yours, to do with as you see fit. Me? I just can't not take good guitars out to play. That's what they were made to do. One of the reasons I like relic'd/aged guitars is that dinging them on a gig is never an issue. I'm very careful, but I've learned over the years that if you take 'em out, they'll get dinged, wormed, scratched...all of that. You want virginal, don't take it to the party. You want to play it out, it'll get doinked. Funny though, how all of those first dings are now just one of many, and all irrelevant.

All my hobbies, pass times and industry seems to involve something getting trashed at some stage of the process.

A long time ago I realised that for me to get the most value/enjoyment out of those things that yank my chain, to find the limits of the gear and myself and to become reasonably competent in them, damage was going to occur.

Right now Im at the start of the planning stages for an off road vehicle upgrade. The platform is a mint condition, low km vehicle. In a few months it wont be mint condition but between upgrading it and then the tour through desert, dunes, beaches, forest treks, rivers and mud and my life will be significantly more enriched.

I could do nothing to the vehicle and just stay on the main roads, keep it all fresh and minty looking and get near some of the places I want to be. But the places I really want to see dont all have roads leading up to them.

The right vehicle it takes you places, guitars are vehicles, they dont care if they get scratched up. I just play guitars I love to play, maintain the mechanical bits and dont worry about the dents and marks. Its a detachment Im happy I cultivated. It doesnt work for everyone. :)

I had a friend who got a new pick up. The first thing he did was take his key and put a foot long scratch in it so he could get it over with. When I have a new guitar there is honestly a part of me that is relieved when I get the first ding. After that I don't care so much and I can concentrate on playing rather than protecting the guitar. My most beat up guitars sound the best.

Our guitars will outlast us. Life is short, enjoy the ride.

Although...I still avoid taking a couple out of their cases when too much alcohol is present.

Lots of empathy here at HOC! Suffered from his malady myself until i dinged my "perfect" 575MH a couple of times at home. I play all my guitars (I don't own any collectors items) out now and just try to be reasonably careful. If you play them, no matter where, they eventually get tagged with a good (or stupid in my case) story.

You could just run over your new guitar in some dark, gravel driveway. Twice. That would cure you of guitar agoraphobia. Not saying I've ever done that to a brand new Larrivee Bakersfield. But I'm not denying it, either. And I will take that guitar anywhere!! (ooops :rolleyes: )

I had no problems taking my sweet looking new Prospect out to gigs and jamms. Thats what I bought it for. (it's all part of my natural relicing process.)

It doesnt look new anymore but thats OK with me.

When you bump into the the drummer's cymbal,, and it puts a crease like ding on the body of your guitar, just blame him (her) and then ask for his (her's) portion of the gig money for the ensuing 3 or 4 gigs

When you bump into the the drummer's cymbal,, and it puts a crease like ding on the body of your guitar, just blame him (her) and then ask for his (her's) portion of the gig money for the ensuing 3 or 4 gigs

I always saw these cymbal dings as badges of honor --they proved you'd been on stage in close quarters-- sort of like dueling scars back in the day. If you are a gigging musician, your axe shows the cymbal cuts.

I have guitars I haven't taken out of the house ...even that I'm almost afraid to play at home. That attitude disappears when I have an opportunity to play in a circumstance that fits the guitar.

Since I mostly now perform in the context of directing or being a ringer in mostly student ensembles, I do feel a certain pang of show-off avoidance when the kids are usually playing Epi's and other less-than-boutique gear. I played a gig the other night with a little Roland cube, when I probably have 4-5 small tube combos that would have sounded better and been more fun to play, but, I knew the kids would be playing little solid state amps, so, I did too. I keep my HR Fusion in my office, and most of the kids probably think it is the only electric guitar I own. Fortunately, it works well for just about everything I need to play. And, yes, it has picked up a few dings, as have the acoustics I use to teach, but, that's OK.

I still have the ambition of finding different contexts to play in such that every guitar I've bought has a moment when it is the right guitar, but, that's not the way things have been working out, lately.

Although...I still avoid taking a couple out of their cases when too much alcohol is present.

. THIS is the most important part to remember!

And I've heard it said "Well played and well loved, means well marked". I've had to remind myself of that when my kids would use Dad's guitars.

I understand the sentiment of the OP, but for me, that would be the reason to pass on the guitar. The notion of collecting, in general, as in,being a collector of ANYTHING, is no longer something I can embrace. If own it, it will be used, or sold. Period. The exception would be if I could own one of the many fine old auto's I lust after, I'd keep 'em out of salt, but otherwise drive the snot out of them.

I figure the scars are the justification for ownership in the first place, and show that it's a good guitar. I recall listening to an interview of Bernie Marsden, who owns one of the better circulated 59 bursts, valued at some ridiculous price. He recounted a story of a 60 Les Paul he came across. It was legit 1960. Legit PAF's. Barely any wear whatsoever. Just a pristine 1960 Lester. And total piece of crap to play. Couldn't get a decent sound out of it. Hence it's condition. It was garbage. Beautiful garbage, but worthless as a musical instrument.

Do your Heritage the greatest possible honor you can, to it and it's builders...play the crap out of it any and every way possible. IF it get's a ding, curse and moan, tune and play. Life is too short.

I play a guitar every day but in the comfort of my home. I'm not in a band. Sometime in the 90s i found out one of the people in my studio collected guitars. He didn't play guitar or even know how to play he just liked guitars. He had about 30 of them, he never told me what brand they were.

I play a guitar every day but in the comfort of my home. I'm not in a band. Sometime in the 90s i found out one of the people in my studio collected guitars. He didn't play guitar or even know how to play he just liked guitars. He had about 30 of them, he never told me what brand they were.

The only precious art in my home are pictures of my family through the years and the guitars hanging on the walls. Even when I am just hurrying past them on my way out of the house, just the sight of them gives me peace, and puts a smile on my face.

I say listen to your instincts, when the time is right you'll know it. That one above is beautiful as is the "not mint but killer" H157 of yours which still resides in my avatar. I do miss her but I'm glad she is in your very capable hands instead of languishing in my too large collection.

Archived