Heritage Owners Club

Why is this H137 still not sold?

pcovers

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-Heritage-H-137-CUSTOM-SHOP-KORINA-NATURAL-FINISH-NITRO-/271655767097?hash=item3f3ff20c39:g:kBoAAOSwdpxUVxis

I'm posting an eBay link here but only as a reference to my question. This guitar has been for sale on eBay since forever. Every time I look at it I am just milliseconds from taking the plunge, but never quite make the move. I know it is an oddball configuration, but I have to think the three P90's would be really diverse, from bridge P90 growl to a strat quack in the 2 and 4 positions to neck jazzy tones. The korina has some flame and just looks beautiful.

Maybe the deal breaker on this one not getting sold is price? I'm sure others have seen this on eBay for some time and am interested in others thoughts as to why it remains unsold.

the same guy is selling this one, which hasn't sold either:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-Heritage-H-137-CUSTOM-SHOP-KORINA-NATURAL-FINISH-NITRO/271655760694?_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982&_trkparms=aid%3D888007%26algo%3DDISC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D40130%26meid%3Ddf9ef28a65b346e8b4e464860fdfda5b%26pid%3D100009%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D2%26sd%3D271655767097

Both are very oddball IMHO and the seller is claiming NOS, which would imply that he's a Heritage dealer. Also, he doesn't offer an approval period, which is a deal-breaker for many would be buyers.

(It would be interesting to know how the switching and controls operate.)

Disclaimer: I have a 2008 Korina 137 so with this part of my spectrum covered I can resist any gas created from this image.

#1 Three pickups work on a fender but the middle gets in the way with a gibson neck neck angle.

#2 rap tails are a more traditional bridge on a junior based design so the separate bridge / stop tail looks out of place and "too busy" when compared to pre-conceived junior image.

#3 Bound head, fingerboard and traps are pretty dressy for a simple plank body.

#4 For $2,500 you can get a P90 150.

There is a store in Falls Church Virginia called Foxe's Music. Once upon a time, they were a stocking Heritage dealer and this one guy at the store got a wild hair up his ass and ordered a whole lot of Heritage guitars, many of them with oddball upgrades and non-standard specs. MANY examples just like these... Korina wood (upgrade price) neck and headstock binding (upgrade price) triple routing for pickups (upgrade price) triple P-90's (wth?) So, these guitars collected dust for years. Most of them had P-90's and they couldn't give those guitars away. They had a huge clearance sale. I don't think all the guitars sold and were eventually pulled off the shelves and stored in back in favor of guitars which had a chance in hell of actually being sold. They guy at the store who ordered them all thought a lot more of P-90's than what the buying public thought of them. My guess is that those are the leftovers from the Foxe's Heritage fiasco.

As a general rule, I don't like P-90's either. I probably wouldn't mind one or two in a cheap novelty guitar but that's about it. I don't think they will ever sell those guitars.

P90's are an acquired taste. I like them...in some guitars...especially for blues...or old school jazz.

It's cool to have maybe one P90 guitar in your harem. But 3 P90's on a slab body git is really pushing it.

I concur.

Pretty easy answer, I think. Price.

I concur.

Bingo!

I don't know what happened in the past year, but used prices have become over inflated.....

I also agree with three pickups get in the way... KBP810 had a custom 157 with three mini hums. Every time I played it, there was the annoying click every time I strummed it from hitting the middle pickup....

P-90's are preferred by many players, and for good reason. They provide a "bite" that you cannot get with a 'bucker. I have a LP Studio with '90's and my 137 which has '90's. They diversify the stable quite nicely.

P-90's are preferred by many players, and for good reason. They provide a "bite" that you cannot get with a 'bucker. I have a LP Studio with '90's and my 137 which has '90's. They diversify the stable quite nicely.

A bite that YOU cannot get from a humbucker. hahahah :lol:

I'm used to 3 pickup humbuckers and love the features of this guitar. Brent recently sold one with these features ( same, I think ) in our Heritage for Sale section. I was very, very tempted by that one, especially as he reduced it to a bargain price... I'd have bought that one if I didn't already have too many electric guitars.

There is a store in Falls Church Virginia called Foxe's Music. Once upon a time, they were a stocking Heritage dealer and this one guy at the store got a wild hair up his ass and ordered a whole lot of Heritage guitars, many of them with oddball upgrades and non-standard specs. MANY examples just like these...

Indeed. I distinctly remember at least one of these 137s on display at Foxes. They're beautiful, but the P90s are the deal breaker. I think most people looking for a P90-equipped solidbody want a more stripped-down guitar such as a Les Paul Jr. or the standard version of the 137. It's a gutsy rock'n'roll machine without a lot of bling. Think Pete Townshend.

The one guitar I regret not grabbing at Foxes when they stocked Heritage was a 3-pickup white 157 that was GORGEOUS. I think Brent even posted a link here some years ago. However, it didn't sell, either, and I noticed that time was very unkind to the white finish, which had yellowed considerably after only a few years at the store. Since I already have a 157 and don't need "Frampton tones" from a middle pickup, I couldn't justify spending the cash on it.

I too love P90's but I'd have to try the 3 pup configuration before buying and I'm not buying at that price.

Is this Brent's old one?

No, I got Brent's...at a much better price. My go to guitar is a 2006 H 150 w/ P90s. I LOVE P90s for the single coil type clarity and humbucker style growl. Of course I have single coil and humbucker loaded guitars as well.

The middle pickup does kinda get in the way at times. Apparently I pick deeper on the strings than I realized.

I intend to put a 6 way switch on it (see link below), Switchcraft output jack, possibly Faber bridge and tailpiece. I should be able to get the traditional 3 way selection plus a neck/middle, middle and bridge/middle. It already has CTS pots and PIO caps.

http://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_Electronics/Components_and_Parts/Switches/Free-Way_Pickup_Switch.html

She doesn't sound quite as good as my H 150 yet but I'll get her there since she's already pretty close.

Indeed. I distinctly remember at least one of these 137s on display at Foxes. They're beautiful, but the P90s are the deal breaker. I think most people looking for a P90-equipped solidbody want a more stripped-down guitar such as a Les Paul Jr. or the standard version of the 137. It's a gutsy rock'n'roll machine without a lot of bling. Think Pete Townshend.

The one guitar I regret not grabbing at Foxes when they stocked Heritage was a 3-pickup white 157 that was GORGEOUS. I think Brent even posted a link here some years ago. However, it didn't sell, either, and I noticed that time was very unkind to the white finish, which had yellowed considerably after only a few years at the store. Since I already have a 157 and don't need "Frampton tones" from a middle pickup, I couldn't justify spending the cash on it.

I remember that white H157. I swore it was VERY USED because of all the yellowing on the body, the neck gouging from the wall hanger and the horribly blemished pickup covers. But they insisted that it was new when I expressed interest in the guitar and said the damage was from the fluorescent lights. In spite of all the cosmetic damage to the guitar, they were still asking HUGE money (like full MSRP) for it and wouldn't budge on the price except for something stupid like $50.00. Unbelievable. I didn't even get around to making an offer because the "manager" clearly didn't give a flip if it ever sold or not.

Price is the big killer on these guitars. I know they have tons of upgrades but a new 150 can be bought for $2500 or very close to it. To me NOS guitars are slightly more $ than a used guitar in good condition. If they were $1500 they might sell. The seller either has to keep them and enjoy them on their wall for take a hit and lower the price big time.

I also love p90s but not the modern ones. I have Lollars in my 150 and they are potted which kills the p90 vibe. They are also alnico 5 and I think that makes them too harsh. Tyson Tonelab makes great P90s that have all the right tone and at $220 they are only slightly more than the lollars but WAY more vibe. In my experience a good P90 can do big full humbuckers tone if you have the right amp set up but a humbuckers cannot do some of the p90 tones available.

I remember that white H157. I swore it was VERY USED because of all the yellowing on the body, the neck gouging from the wall hanger and the horribly blemished pickup covers. But they insisted that it was new when I expressed interest in the guitar and said the damage was from the fluorescent lights. In spite of all the cosmetic damage to the guitar, they were still asking HUGE money (like full MSRP) for it and wouldn't budge on the price except for something stupid like $50.00. Unbelievable. I didn't even get around to making an offer because the "manager" clearly didn't give a flip if it ever sold or not.

I was shocked at its condition when I saw it again at Foxes a couple years ago, because I'd spent way too much time thinking about it over the years.

The price placard on the guitar even said that one of the pickups wasn't working anymore. I think they were going to send it back to Kalamazoo for wiring repair if anyone bought it. Which is silly, since it's a 20-minute fix with a soldering iron if you're working slow. I could only imagine what the Heritage folks would have thought had it come back "new" in that condition. On the other hand, I believe that Heritage is reluctant to do white finishes because of yellowing and cracking. Other companies can seem to do white lacquer finishes; I don't know why Heritage couldn't.

I was shocked at its condition when I saw it again at Foxes a couple years ago, because I'd spent way too much time thinking about it over the years.

The price placard on the guitar even said that one of the pickups wasn't working anymore. I think they were going to send it back to Kalamazoo for wiring repair if anyone bought it. Which is silly, since it's a 20-minute fix with a soldering iron if you're working slow. I could only imagine what the Heritage folks would have thought had it come back "new" in that condition. On the other hand, I believe that Heritage is reluctant to do white finishes because of yellowing and cracking. Other companies can seem to do white lacquer finishes; I don't know why Heritage couldn't.

An abused guitar that we were unable to rescue for sure.

Archived