Heritage Owners Club

Best Amp For Blues?

super reverb

+1 Absolutely

Yup. Dimed ala Buddy Guy.

:thumbsup:

You're KILLING me Smalls!! What was I thinking, letting that Super Reverb MGoetting has for sale a few years ago get away from me, and to to YOU, Bolero!! haha. He who hesitates, loses.... Still, I got a laugh from you with my deadpan "Where's My Super?!" at the next PSP. Sorry for the inside joke, everyone. My REAL answer would be any good tube Fender amp, with a Strat, 335/535, seasoned to taste.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, all four of my Fender amps are before 1967 and all of them take pedals AMAZINGLY well. I don't what you mean a pedal in front wont make it the best blues amp. Actually, 90% of the blues guitarist I have heard or seen use pedals. Unless you want to tell Jimi, Robben, SRV, David Grissom, Clark Jr, ect ect ect that they are all wrong. Almost everyone uses OD pedals in front.

And since the invention of the microphone (ala mic the cab) there is no need to dime an amp. Seriously, what venue can you turn a 40-45watt amp to 10 in before the manager throws you out.

No virgin ears here. But maybe better ears.

Hey Kuz, I apologize for the "virgin ears" comment. No offense meant. That was the tinnitus talking. :rolleyes:

I have nothing against pedals! All those guys are great and they use pedals brilliantly. Now we have amps with Master Volume and pedals galore that do everything but wash your car. Pedals are great but they don't make an amp the best blues amp. My point is you're hearing the pedal and any decent tube amp with some headroom will work with a pedal; you don't need a vintage Fender or Marshall or Vox for that. BTW, I don't recall Eric C. ever using a pedal with the Blues Breakers or Cream or Derek and the Dominoes. In my not very humble opinion you don't get to "the best blues amp" 'til you're hearing the output stage driven to within an inch of it's life.

Also, the question is what is the best blues amp, not what is the best 15 watt blues amp, or the best blues amp you can play in a little club. I've seen Buddy Guy and James Cotton Band and Paul Butterfield Band (Mike Bloomfield/Elvin Bishop) and Johnny Winter and Peter Green and god, I can't remember how many blues players when I was growing up in Chicago in the 60's. And it was, as you say, LOUD. I definitely don't hear like I used to!

Have you ever tried a '66 Vox Cambridge Reverb? Designed by Dick Denney (AC-30 designer/builder) and produced in America by Thomas Organ before they screwed it up with solid state copies. Two cathode biased EL84s. 12 Watts of excellent, creamy blues tone. With Reverb and Tremolo and a 10" "Bulldog" speaker. Vox's answer to the Princeton and Deluxe Reverb. Crank it up!

I am generally not an El84 fan. They are more thin, brittle and bright than the American glass I love in the 6l6s or 5881s in my '66 Blackface Vibrolux reverb & '64 Brownface Vibrolux or the 6v6s in my '67 Blackface Deluxe Reverb & '63 Brownface Deluxe.

But Vox amps have always intrigued me. I would love to give that model a spin.

What years were you bar hopping in Chi-town?

89-15

Most of the live music was in the 2000's after my kids were older. Still happens. I've got my gear in the car and I'll be in Chicago after lunch. Got a gig on the north side tonight

And my "turn up to ten" comment was in reference to the worn anecdote that Freddie Kings "rig" consisted of him, metal index finger pick, his Gibson 3XX, and whatever Fender Amp the house provided, with " the volume and treble at 10, and everything else at zero". I've heard it said as well that this tone was Claptons grail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Kuz, I apologize for the "virgin ears" comment. No offense meant. That was the tinnitus talking. :rolleyes:

I have nothing against pedals! All those guys are great and they use pedals brilliantly. Now we have amps with Master Volume and pedals galore that do everything but wash your car. Pedals are great but they don't make an amp the best blues amp. My point is you're hearing the pedal and any decent tube amp with some headroom will work with a pedal; you don't need a vintage Fender or Marshall or Vox for that. BTW, I don't recall Eric C. ever using a pedal with the Blues Breakers or Cream or Derek and the Dominoes. In my not very humble opinion you don't get to "the best blues amp" 'til you're hearing the output stage driven to within an inch of it's life.

Also, the question is what is the best blues amp, not what is the best 15 watt blues amp, or the best blues amp you can play in a little club. I've seen Buddy Guy and James Cotton Band and Paul Butterfield Band (Mike Bloomfield/Elvin Bishop) and Johnny Winter and Peter Green and god, I can't remember how many blues players when I was growing up in Chicago in the 60's. And it was, as you say, LOUD. I definitely don't hear like I used to!

Have you ever tried a '66 Vox Cambridge Reverb? Designed by Dick Denney (AC-30 designer/builder) and produced in America by Thomas Organ before they screwed it up with solid state copies. Two cathode biased EL84s. 12 Watts of excellent, creamy blues tone. With Reverb and Tremolo and a 10" "Bulldog" speaker. Vox's answer to the Princeton and Deluxe Reverb. Crank it up!

I am generally not an El84 fan. They are more thin, brittle and bright than the American glass I love in the 6l6s or 5881s in my '66 Blackface Vibrolux reverb & '64 Brownface Vibrolux or the 6v6s in my '67 Blackface Deluxe Reverb & '63 Brownface Deluxe.

But Vox amps have always intrigued me. I would love to give that model a spin.

I was WONDERING if anyone was ever going to get around to mentioning VOX. One of the things bouncing around in my head is whether or not I should sell my Vox or not. But even though I haven't played in a while and started to think that I don't need it, I also don't want to be kicking myself in the rear later. Besides, it's the only amp I have which has a built-in tremolo.

I also don't remember seeing any mention of Mesa amps anywhere. Also, it is rather comforting that I see a lot of mentions of those big Fender amps by whatever name they are known. I have an amp which emulates that big Fender amp and the long history of players in Texas who used them. So I guess I'll keep that amp.

Lots of mentions for the Tweed amps. I can't say I fully understand them because all I have to go on are youtube tone demos, including Joe Bonamassa's long Tweed video and because I don't own a Tele. Probably never will either. Carvin does make a Tweed copy which I assume is more affordable than a real Tweed. But now I wonder how similar a Tweed would be to my Vox. I already know part of that answer but not 100%.

Anyway, looks like there are a number of options for blues amps but not sure we have a clear winner yet in this debate.

What an awesome thread this is. Lots of great opinions as well as facts. This place is groundbreaking to learn about guitar, amps, music and life!

The "best amp for blues" depends on the setting. A 5E3 tweed or Deluxe Reverb, or a Music Man is fine for a jam or club. Most Mesas are also great for blues. Derek and the Dominoes recorded with Champs, for Pete's sake. Obviously if you're in an arena something larger would be better.

I've used all of these amps for blues. They are all great. There is no best amp, just like there is no "best musician" or "best color". We like what we like. There is beauty in variety.

It's mostly about the sound you like. Really.

Best amp for blues to me? Heritage Liberty, their version of classic tweed, but with 45 watts!

I LOVE this amp for blues...jazz...RnB, etc.

2RbfcH.jpgh8QTN4.jpg

+1 The Liberty is one of the best sounding amps I've ever encountered.

The "best amp for blues" depends on the setting. A 5E3 tweed or Deluxe Reverb, or a Music Man is fine for a jam or club. Most Mesas are also great for blues. Derek and the Dominoes recorded with Champs, for Pete's sake. Obviously if you're in an arena something larger would be better.

I've used all of these amps for blues. They are all great. There is no best amp, just like there is no "best musician" or "best color". We like what we like. There is beauty in variety.

It's mostly about the sound you like. Really.

Yes, its a tough question.

After hearing all those blues licks played on every guitar through every amp every working day for 10yrs, I dont think it matters at all.

Amps I have had, liked for blues,

JTM45 head through 212 cab,

Mesa LSC, clean channel, fx loop bypassed, tweed setting(I think), tube rectifier.

Early UK Vox AC15

Fender Concert, pedals to suit.

Im sure there were others in there.

One incident that I always remember in discussions like these is when I went to a jam with no gear and ended up playing a cheap Maton P90 guitar through a ss Peavey amp and having "the" sound for a couple of swampy blues. Lo fi sonic beauty. It was exciting to hear and drove the songs along to a more authentic place.

Then we played some pink floyd, santana and others and the gear I was using sounded wrong at any setting

A very subjective question. Lots of great amps were mentioned. The Fender Deluxe Reverb would be my first choice and second would be the Fender Princeton Reverb. Depending on how loud you want to be the Deluxe has more headroom than the Princeton. They both have beautiful cleans and breakup nicely. Just my opinion.

You're KILLING me Smalls!! What was I thinking, letting that Super Reverb MGoetting has for sale a few years ago get away from me, and to to YOU, Bolero!! haha. He who hesitates, loses.... Still, I got a laugh from you with my deadpan "Where's My Super?!" at the next PSP. Sorry for the inside joke, everyone. My REAL answer would be any good tube Fender amp, with a Strat, 335/535, seasoned to taste.

ha...actually at the time, I thought you were implying I misplaced someone"s amp at the barn jam!!

took me a bit to realize SUPER REVERB...oh, *that* super reverb!

Martygrass is a class act. We hung out and chatted for some time; he also gave me a copy of "beauty of the burst" which I thought was really nice

shame he's not around here anymore

i've tried many, had many, etc. personal faves are Juke Amp's Coda modal (30w), Heritage Colonial (45w, but Liberty is also a peach). typically i like tweed type amps (Lil Dawg makes some beauts) and am intrigued by Red Jones Engineering's amp and Dan Boul's 65 Amps models with Master Voltage. and one more: Jim Kelley's reissue.

lotsa great ideas here...

I was very fortunate to grow up and live here in the Chicago area all my life. Over the years I saw every great blues player to come through town. What I see is that guys love Fender amps.

My favorite guitarist to see was Johnny Winter and while I dug his chops, I didn't care for the Musicman tone. I thought Gatemouth Brown produced a better tone with his Musicman rig.

One of my favorite shows was Jeff Healy's performance using a MIM Strat and a 50 watt marshall. That was spectacular blues tone in my book. I saw him twice that year and the second time he seemed worn out from touring. The guy was great.

There are so many great "blues" sounds from the past and I do believe that simplicity and volume are the keys. My little rig for playing around the house is a silver face champ. I sometimes put a Fullerton OD in front but normally just crank the volume a tad.

Living twelve feet from a church I do not want to upset my neighbor. He is a good guy.

y2kc

Thats it, there are so many types of blues sounds. One amp will not do it all. Just listen to Stevie Ray and Jimmy Vaughn. Two completely different worlds. I saw Jimmy once open for Johnny Winter and he was booed off the stage. That happened many times at Johnny Water shows. The people wanted Johnny! Johnny! Johnny! Jimmy and the Thunderbirds were good but were not JW.

I think it's all about the style/artist you are trying to sound like and the venue you are playing.

I've used:

Marshall 1974x

Peavey Delta Blues

KBP810 Reverb Deluxe (x2)

Fender Blues Junior

Jet City 20H

Traynor Guitar Mate 4

Jet City 20HV

I like cleanish tones, but not crystal clean.

All of these work.

This is a good discussion and a topic that has popped up on many guitar sites. Getting a good blues tone for me is about finding your voice. One of my biological brothers here in Chicago ( I have five brothers) is a gifted blues singer. I grew up listening to the blues and thinking about what he was crafting and how it related to my guitar.

I think you need a clean amp with the ability to dial in dirt with the turn of the guitars volume knob. While gaining hair and texture the amp needs to keep its integrity and sound like it wants to be turned up. This is when it is fun for me. The amp and guitar become one and everyone is a happy camper. At this point you forget what guitar you are playing and make music.

Blues tone really has a lot to do with pushing an amp. I used to use a od pedal to get some gain but that tone was terrible for me. Right now at home I use a Silver face champ, a '58 Gibson Skylark , '54 Gibson GA 40 and a converted RCA intercom into a two twelve cabinet. Non of these amps will produce a modern gain filled tone but they deliver many other things in spades.

BTW is anyone going to see Robben Ford next week in Evanston Il.? Just wondering

y2kc

This thread got me thinking....I haven't played my H150 or opened up my Mesa Boogie Express 5:50+ in a while. I've been fixated with my new Martin 00-28 for the last month and when not doing that I usually play my 575 through the Mesa super clean. So I cracked open the 150 case and cranked up the amp with gain ranging from minor to major and or the "Blues" and "Burn" channels.

Anyway- I'll put in a plug for the Mesa Boogie 5:50+ as a GREAT American style blues and classic rock amp. I have the head version and run it through a 2x12 Earcandy cab. Super versatile and can approximate just about any clean to overdriven blues or classic rock tone you want..... And it takes pedals really well. I have to give my H150 with Seth Lovers some credit too of course.

This thread got me thinking....I haven't played my H150 or opened up my Mesa Boogie Express 5:50+ in a while. I've been fixated with my new Martin 00-28 for the last month and when not doing that I usually play my 575 through the Mesa super clean. So I cracked open the 150 case and cranked up the amp with gain ranging from minor to major and or the "Blues" and "Burn" channels.

Anyway- I'll put in a plug for the Mesa Boogie 5:50+ as a GREAT American style blues and classic rock amp. I have the head version and run it through a 2x12 Earcandy cab. Super versatile and can approximate just about any clean to overdriven blues or classic rock tone you want..... And it takes pedals really well. I have to give my H150 with Seth Lovers some credit too of course.

9C549CF4-548C-4D8B-8B82-298E200F6922.jpg

9C549CF4-548C-4D8B-8B82-298E200F6922.jpg

I've been thinking about that amplately because it specifically has a knob (channel) on it that says "Blues". I know Beagle is a huge fan of that amp.

What I'm not sure about is whether there is an equivalent to that Blues channel on the Mesa Mark 5:25 (or 5:35)

Archived