Heritage Owners Club

Boss MS-3

JeffB

Ive been following Boss's new releases.

I liked the GT100 but it was too big. It had great fx and even some nice drives.

The modeling was okay but not great, just like any brand. Cool for recording and okay as a straight to desk thing for onstage volume control or if you just wanted to jam quietly with mates and not lug an amp around.

I checked out the GT1 and thought it was cool as well but it didnt have the connectivity and control I wanted.

Any way, Boss released the MS-3 a little while ago.

Similar control features, amp channel switching etc, as the GT100 and similar(probably the same) fx as well but smaller and for me a more useful device.

No stores here have them yet so I cant try one and Im waiting to see what else Boss release on the 23rd of June. There might be a even more featured version, MS-8 perhaps

If you havnt seen it yet, http://au.boss.info/products/ms-3/

Theres some decent vids on yt but this isnt one, I found this which I really liked. The cheap little GT1 and MS3 share similar sims and fx etc.

IMO when it comes to pedalboard efx they just don't get any better then the Fractal Audio FX8 Mark II.

FX8-mk2-top.jpg

If I liked it I would still have it :D

Its a great unit, just like anything from fractal.

I like Kemper drives better, because, I can create the profiles with real amps and that is fun.

A shop full of iconic amps and stomps to profile and all day, day after day to do it. Fractal couldnt compete with the end result.

Fractals effects are better imo.

But here I am and I dont have any units from either of those brands anymore. I sold or traded them along the way. Not my thing. Might revisit them at some stage.

What is my thing is my amp, a couple of good drives that Ive selected and some fx and this seems to have been my thing for as long as Ive been playing. I now play low, low gain or clean 90% of the time with maybe a hint of delay or reverb. This is where switching devices such as the MS3 and ES8 and various rocktron, voodoo labs etc bits and pieces are just as interesting as the fx themselves, to me at least. I love gadgetry and devices.

I always liked the Digitech GSP 1101 or RP1000 but it has become outdated some kind of next generation thing. However nothing is happening so I am likening that AX FX8 idea.

It's basically a multi-effects unit with a bunch of loops. While it seems like a good idea, honestly I would rather have a complete pedalboard, or have everything in the unit.

Just another way for people to make overly complicated effects setups for their live rig.

It's basically a multi-effects unit with a bunch of loops. While it seems like a good idea, honestly I would rather have a complete pedalboard, or have everything in the unit.

Just another way for people to make overly complicated effects setups for their live rig.

Yeah I get that. But theres more to it for me.

it is exactly a multi-effects unit with a bunch of loops.

It can also change channel on amps, midi, can be used front and loop of amp using 4 cables. Its configurable.

Its not large. It simplifies some set ups, mine for example. Its useful and configurable.

While Im a bit fussy about overdrives and cleans, a bit obsessed about clean sounds tbh, Im not as fussy about delays and reverbs. I enjoy minimal use of modulation, trem, vibrato, univibe etc

What I liked about the Boss GT100 was all the modulation and time based fx not so much the drives. Ive felt the same way about every multifx Ive ever owned from the cheapest to the most expensive. Always ended up adding my own drives to get the sounds/feel I wanted and losing the compact nature of a "do it all" box. Always ended up the big mfx and a couple of good ods hanging off it.

With the MS3 you choose the loop(your favourite drive) and add it to the MS3 preset. You choose the location of the loop(your favourite od) in the signal chain. A flanger in front of od or od before flanger. Two different'ish sounds. Typical of most units but with a much smaller footprint.

With the MS 3 and a couple of my favourite od's the physical space it takes up is less than the GT100 or any of the L6 POD Xt, HD etc units. Plant them on a board from the shed and theres no difference between it and any mfx do it all box except it has your own favourite overdrives.

There are other products and products that you can hobble together to achieve the same thing as the MS3 but not as streamlined.

Possible down side for the MS3 for me could possibly be the lack of trails between certain presets. Not a big deal for some one like me but could render it useless for a guy in a P&W band or U2 tribute band.

So it does most of what the GT100 and similar units do but takes up a lot less space and Ive been waiting for a long time for someone to make a unit like this. Didnt think it would be Boss, thought line 6 would get there first on the back of the M series.

MS3 - Width275 mm(10-7/8 inches) Depth97 mm (3-7/8 inches) GT100 - Width542 mm(21-3/8 inches) Depth271 mm(10-11/16 inches) DBP2O7WXgAAFwPP.jpg

That's still roughly the same size as the FX8 so there's no advantage there and as far as drives go the FX8 has got approximately 35 of the best known, best sounding built built right in, and with the latest firmware update they sound better than ever. It also has amp channel switching, midi control, 4CM etc., without the hassle of all the cabling that makes most pedalboards both undependable and a PITA to maintain. And talk about configurable you can't get more configurable than having 128 complete pedalboards of any sort you want all in one box to choose from with the push of a button or two. JeffB I'm not trying to change your mind cause it's obvious you've already made your choice I'm just saying none of your rational make any sense to me.

That's still roughly the same size as the FX8 so there's no advantage there and as far as drives go the FX8 has got approximately 35 of the best known, best sounding built built right in, and with the latest firmware update they sound better than ever. It also has amp channel switching, midi control, 4CM etc., without the hassle of all the cabling that makes most pedalboards both undependable and a PITA to maintain. And talk about configurable you can't get more configurable than having 128 complete pedalboards of any sort you want all in one box to choose from with the push of a button or two. JeffB I'm not trying to change your mind cause it's obvious you've already made your choice I'm just saying none of your rational make any sense to me.

I'm sure this Boss/Roland is a fraction of the price and it probably still sounds really good.

I'm sure this Boss/Roland is a fraction of the price and it probably still sounds really good.

That's not entirely true. That's one of the points I didn't mention. By the time you add the cost of the MS-3 + the cost of three additional pedals + the cost of a pedal-board + the cost of a power-supply for the additional efx + the cost of all the interconnect cables your going to be very close to (if not more than) the cost of the FX8 which is $999.99. For example I have an older Boss pedalboard that holds six Boss pedals the cost of those six pedals + the pedalboard was over eight hundred dollars for SIX efx. The FX8 has over 135 efx and firmware is updated often.

That's not entirely true. That's one of the points I didn't mention. By the time you add the cost of the MS-3 + the cost of three additional pedals + the cost of a pedal-board + the cost of a power-supply for the additional efx + the cost of all the interconnect cables your going to be very close to (if not more than) the cost of the FX8 which is $999.99. For example I have an older Boss pedalboard that holds six Boss pedals the cost of those six pedals + the pedalboard was over eight hundred dollars for SIX efx. The FX8 has over 135 efx and firmware is updated often.

Buy used pedals, a pedal train, and voodoo labs power supply... save even more...

Digital stuff bothers me because they are more prone to fail then analog stuff. I'd rather have a bunch of pedals I can replace one at a time if needed then bank everything in a unit that if it fails, you're out of luck.

Buy used pedals, a pedal train, and voodoo labs power supply... save even more...

Digital stuff bothers me because they are more prone to fail then analog stuff. I'd rather have a bunch of pedals I can replace one at a time if needed then bank everything in a unit that if it fails, you're out of luck.

I prefer not to buy someone else's discards besides you can always buy a used FX8 if you want to go that route too.

As for digital, a great many pedals these days ARE digital including the Boss MS-3, and when it comes to reliability Fractal gear is famous for it's "built like a tank" quality. That's one reason why so many world class musicians and touring bands use their gear, that and the fact that it just sounds awesome.

You win.

From now on the thread is about the fx8. :D

Sorry for stealing your thread, I don't very often go to these lengths for a product but I just happen to think this one is simply the best 'bang for the buck ' out there.

I'll shut up now.

Sorry for stealing your thread, I don't very often go to these lengths for a product but I just happen to think this one is simply the best 'bang for the buck ' out there.

I'll shut up now.

Man, no hard feelings here. I dont mind threads going where ever they go.

I knew before or probably as I started this thread you were going to play the fx8 card. Im on to you. :)

I prefer not to buy someone else's discards besides you can always buy a used FX8 if you want to go that route too.

As for digital, a great many pedals these days ARE digital including the Boss MS-3, and when it comes to reliability Fractal gear is famous for it's "built like a tank" quality. That's one reason why so many world class musicians and touring bands use their gear, that and the fact that it just sounds awesome.

I'm thinking more or less multi-effects units... I had a few, they are nice. But if you depend on them and they go bad....

• 2 weeks later...

So any way, I picked one up today.

The decision to get it and the purchase was a lot like buying a mitre saw or hammer drill. Not overly exciting and without too much emotion involved. Setting it up and working my way through I felt a similar way. It felt very tool like and a work orientated process.

Its a Boss Gt100 with out the amp modeling. If you have had other Boss products you can get right into it with out a manual. The manual is still in its packet in the box and Ive set up the unit in a couple of different ways, one as a gig unit and one as a home tweaking device.

The drives are good and the modulation and time based fx are good.

One thought I had while I was working my way through it was I wish I had it when I was gigging with my mesa's, or really just gigging in a cover band with what ever amp Ive used. It wouldnt of mattered who built it I wouldve bought it. A few companies came close to something like it but didnt quite nail the functionality and configurability or they overstepped the mark at the expense of affordability.

Off topic a bit but working through the MS-3 and thinking about other similar digital tech products made me think of other things out side music gear that couldnt be done effectively not so long ago

In about 1981 I bought my first cordless drill, it was under powered, took 24hrs to charge and you got no more than an hours use out of it. It wasnt until a few years later that an affordable cordless drill/driver with a fast charge could compete with a Stanely "Yankee" driver all day.

15years ago I wished some one would make a usable cordless sliding compound miter saw.

Last week I bought one that is actually usable and useful for what I need.

Theoretically I could turn up on site and not run an extension lead where 12yrs ago I used to carry about 180mtrs of leads everywhere, loose time running them out and winding them back up and had to replace them regularly in line with work place regulations.

When I started my apprenticeship we used a water level to set out a house base then spirit levels for everything else. We had a dumpy level from memory but my boss at the time liked using a water level. I understand it, I now get where that great mans mind was at.

15yrs ago laser levels were bulky, expensive and needed regular calibrating. Now theyre cheap as chips, sturdy and accurate little devices and every person on site has their own in their tool bag.

My first mobile phone was huge! ......and so is my current one!

Boss MS3 does what it says on the box. If its what you need or want its a cool thing.

Line6 should be bringing out a replacement/upgrade for their M series line soon. It would be interesting to see if they come out with something similar but with "more" and being cheaper.

Archived