Heritage Owners Club

NGD - In praise of the underrated H140s

Cajun2

My H140 just arrived - winning bid on eBay last week (some of you were probably watching the guitar). All I can say is WOW....

Not to offend any of you - but H140s always seem underrated. They are referred to the "little brother" of the 150s. I say they stand up against any guitar out there. First - let me share my Heritage journey intertwined with my guitar journey to list my credentials:

I started playing in the 70s (I am 54). Back then everyone wanted new guitars, and you could what are now vintage collectibles for cheap. I had a pre-CBX Jazzmaster I bought for $75. I owned a 60s strat, a 60s SG with Maestro Vibrola, and then a Les Paul Special. I hung on to the Special for a while and liked that guitar, then later traded it in for a Gold Top.

Flash forward to the future. In the early nineties, I was in Vancouver with my girlfriend on vacation. We walked past a music store, and I decided to pop in. I came across a used H140 with a Gold Top. It had Duncans installed (a 50 and an Alnico 2 neck). I was floored by the quality and the price (around $300). I grabbed it, even though I wasn't really looking for a guitar. That was my first Heritage guitar...

In the late 2000s, I decided I liked acquiring guitars as much as I did playing them, although I have never owned more than 8 guitars at once (if one comes in, one goes out). I have owned probably between 130 - 150 guitars, including the better ones - all kinds of Heritage, PRS, Fender, Gibson, Tom Anderson, Suhr, one off luthier builds, Don Grosh, etc... In that time I have owned my first H140, 2 really nice H150s, 2 really nice H535s, a H170, a Stat, A H157, and now back to a H140 (full circle for my Heritage guitars). as

I have owned some really nice guitars - and i have to say when I received the H140 yesterday and opened the box - I was once again floored by Heritage. I have had so many nice guitars that it takes a lot to blow me away - but this one grabbed me right away. It's a 2001, stunning craftsmanship, meatier than average Heritage neck, really nice looking rosewood on the fingerboard (multi-colors). And the maple cap on it looks like the best of the vintage Les Paul models - multi-dimensional when turned in light, stunning mineral streaks in the maple, and kind of a tobacco sunburst with some red in it. If I were to have a custom shop build - I could not have picked a more appropriate top for me. Screams 50s Les Paul vintage to me. I have some Duncan Antiquities I will install in it, and some Kluson tulip tuners I am going to put on for the heck of it.

I would tell all of you - don't overlook the H140s. I got this for a really good price - and they are just as good (albeit different) as any of the other Heritage guitars. I love the H535s - but not crazy about their size. This is a very comfortable guitar for practice - and with the Duncans I know it will sound really nice. Although I had some beautiful H150s - they are a bit heavy and I prefer the H140 size (just as I liked by Gibson Les Paul Special early on). I also prefer dot fingerboards over bling. I have had many nice mother of pearl and abalone inlays over the years, but like to see the rosewood if it is nice wood.

All - please heap on with H140 praises! I know some of you feel that they are underrated too. My pictures don't show the 3D dimension of the guitar.

PICS or it didn't happen.

Congratulations. 140's are really nice guitars, especially the newer models with bound necks.

I do like the sharp cutaways of the 1st edition models, but like the bound neck of the 2nd edition.

I was lucky that my first was a 140, but I think it would probably be classified as a 147 today

That was a great story to read as I've been do the same with buying/selling/traded over the years, but I still have love for Heritages above all else...

Enough about me.

I'm glad you like yours. I hope that you can find some photos. Perhaps taking a shot during sunset helps bring out some of the flame top?

I like the H140 model a lot. Its too bad they dropped it from the catalog.

I've got a first edition (D serial) in the classic cherry burst. Its a player, not a museum piece, but its in good condition, feels super, and with the Alnico Pro 2s, it sounds great.

What more can you ask for in a guitar?

I'm still enjoying the 140 you sold to me, Josh! I ended putting some ThroBaks in it, and combined with the lighter weight body, it is one of most comfortable, best sounding guitars I've ever had. Somebody slap me if I ever decide to sell it ... [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMG_1631_2.jpg

photo.jpg

Isn't this the one you brought to PSP? Had a headstock repair as I recall. That was a nice guitar. I loved the top. To me, that's always been the Heritage answer to the SG. Thin, light, and bold of voice.

Isn't this the one you brought to PSP? Had a headstock repair as I recall. That was a nice guitar. I loved the top. To me, that's always been the Heritage answer to the SG. Thin, light, and bold of voice.

That's the one.... another member owns her now. Treated her right and upgraded the hardware and electronics.... I get to visit once in awhile.

I'm still enjoying the 140 you sold to me, Josh! I ended putting some ThroBaks in it, and combined with the lighter weight body, it is one of most comfortable, best sounding guitars I've ever had. Somebody slap me if I ever decide to sell it ... [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another one I probably should of kept, but it went to a much better home...

photo_zps13b6ea08.png

Archived