Heritage Owners Club

Anyone replace the Sperzels on their Heritage?

Hfan

I know there was a reference not too long ago here (maybe from Kuz) but when I search I get mal wear warnings on the links so I'll just start a new thread.

I have a nice 535. It has SD Antiquities with the aged covers and the hardware is kind of tarnished so it has an aged vibe going on. It came with Sperzels that have some slop in them and they are shiny new looking. They have no mounting screws so I'd have to drill holes. Was thinking of Klusons. Do the peg holes match or would I have to use spacers/bushings? Something like this would be nice, an aged version even better:

KL-SD90SLNDR-2.jpg?v=1362298893

Can we see some pics of the headstock?

I don't like Klusons at all... but aging them is easy enough.

I prefer Grovers myself and have the string locking versions on my H150. Instant string changes are nice.bc40dca3702ea98c8703efe1ac4d04bd.jpg708d085b7e6fa71b074c4e7089bc617a.jpgdee263289504f8a6e97869648524045d.jpg

I have a nice 535. It has SD Antiquities with the aged covers and the hardware is kind of tarnished so it has an aged vibe going on. It came with Sperzels that have some slop in them and they are shiny new looking. They have no mounting screws so I'd have to drill holes. Was thinking of Klusons. Do the peg holes match or would I have to use spacers/bushings? Something like this would be nice, an aged version even better:

KL-SD90SLNDR-2.jpg?v=1362298893

Mine originally came with Grovers and I replaced them with Grover Deluxe, looks much better IMO. See them here;

http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_Parts/Tuning_Machines/Solid_Peghead_Guitar_Tuning_Machines/Grover_Vintage_135_Series_3and3_Tuners.html

I don't like Klusons at all... but aging them is easy enough.

Mine originally came with Grovers and I replaced them with Grover Deluxe, looks much better IMO. See them here;

I went from Grover Rotomatics to aged nickel Klusons on my H535, and I'm very happy with them. bottom hole of the Kluson matched the hole loction on the Grovers perfectly, leaving me to introduce a small shallow hole for the top screw. They look stock and are Rock solid. Not sure about the Sperzel hole location...apologies.

Later on, I Had a beautiful H150 VSB, and again, wanted the old Kluson appearance. This time, I purchased the Grover Deluxe version instead, based on the recommendation of a forumite that really digs them. Same success with installation asthe Klusons. A/B'ing them side by side on two Heritage guitars with the same headstock fishishes, same scale length etc, I preferred the feel of the Kluson machine slightly, and the appearance DRAMATICALLY. I thought the Grovers looked very cheap comparatively. The color of the tulip buttons in particular, were hard to get past. Granted that's largely subjective.

It should be noted that WD Music owns TonePros, and several years ago, purchased Kluson. You hear them sometimes called TPK. The Kluson Deluxe pictured above adopted the TonePros sealed 15:1 mechanism that is excellent in operation, while matching the old Kluson appearance. These ain't your Daddy's Kluson's....

pics of the two guitars

20140930_114726_zpssrjmy5uv.JPG

P1130373.JPG

Thanks Kip. I assume the Sperzel hole is in the same position. I know it is 10mm, no holes on the back, there is a pin I believe that gets pressed into the wood. So the main variables would be the size of the main hole, if too big there are bushings, if too small it would have to be reamed out. Then the small screw holes on the back, not too complicated. My H150 also came with the Sperzels.

We'll see, may be more trouble than it's worth right now. The Sperzels have some slop but hold tune ok.

Edit..just saw the Maestro's reply, thanks, so the peg holes are the same? The 12 holes would be simple (knock wood ha ha).

I did not read the whole thread but I replace Grovers and Sperzels in all my Heritages with either Grover Deluxe or Kluson Deluxe tuners and the main hole and the screw hole aligned perfectly. Then I drilled the second small screw hole, and screw it in. Done.

Really easy and the tuners work perfectly.

Grovers have a 0.383 inch shaft. Sperzels use a 0.323 inch shaft.

So you should be able to drill the headstock for Grovers and then use adapter bushings.

Thanks for going to the trouble PunkKitty, good to know. So I'd have to ream the holes out. This is from the Grover site..(the Deluxe Tuners are series 135) series 135 =25/64" =.390625" Sperzel says their hole size is 10mm which = .3937"

From Grover:

135.jpg

Edit: I replaced on all my Heritages (both Sperzel and Grovers) with these and they aligned perfectly. 6 guitiars, no issues at all, 6 tiny holes drilled.

Grover 135N Vintage turners (look just like Klusons). I love them!!

I did not read the whole thread but I replace Grovers and Sperzels in all my Heritages with either Grover Deluxe or Kluson Deluxe tuners and the main hole and the screw hole aligned perfectly. Then I drilled the second small screw hole, and screw it in. Done.

Hey Kuz, thanks for chiming in, I thought it was you who was swapping out Sperzels here. Great to know thanks. Did your Sperzels have a screw hole on back? Mine don't, I think there is a pin underneath that is pressed into the wood, maybe the pin makes a hole that matches one of the Grover's?

P1010179%201_zpsm7p21ri7.jpg

Hey Kuz, thanks for chiming in, I thought it was you who was swapping out Sperzels here. Great to know thanks. Did your Sperzels have a screw hole on back? Mine don't, I think there is a pin underneath that is pressed into the wood, maybe the pin makes a hole that matches one of the Grover's?

P1010179%201_zpsm7p21ri7.jpg

Honestly, I can't remember but the conversion was easy to the Grover Deluxe 135N tuners

Grovers have a 0.383 inch shaft. Sperzels use a 0.323 inch shaft.

So you should be able to drill the headstock for Grovers and then use adapter bushings.

Edit: I replaced on all my Heritages (both Sperzel and Grovers) with these and they aligned perfectly. 6 guitiars, no issues at all, 6 tiny holes drilled.

Grover 135N Vintage turners (look just like Klusons). I love them!!

I've had terrible luck with the Sperzels! The plastic key has stripped on the shaft on three of them, twice on gigs. John's experience with the Grover 135N's is dead on. I replaced the Sperzels on my Twentieth Anniversary with the Grovers. Look great. Work great. Just FYI (hope I'm not stating the too obvious), if you ever need to, do not use a 1/4" drill freehand to "ream" out the holes in the headstock. Use a t-handle hand reamer, alternating sides of the headstock.

I've had terrible luck with the Sperzels! The plastic key has stripped on the shaft on three of them, twice on gigs. John's experience with the Grover 135N's is dead on. I replaced the Sperzels on my Twentieth Anniversary with the Grovers. Look great. Work great. Just FYI (hope I'm not stating the too obvious), if you ever need to, do not use a 1/4" drill freehand to "ream" out the holes in the headstock. Use a t-handle hand reamer, alternating sides of the headstock.

I don't like the free play/slop in mine, but have not had any strip yet. They remind me of those horrible Fender hex shaped tuners that they use on the 70's reissues..slip city. Actually the only time I have purchased tuners were the Klusons I got to replace those Fender tuners on a Fender 72 Tele Custom reissue. Whatever they really used in the 70s had to be better because my old 1973 Tele has originals and they are still good.

Thanks for that tip on the reamer as well. Did you have to ream yours out? And I would have gone right for a drill bit to use by hand, so no, you're not stating the obvious, I need all the help I can get. I may have a reamer around here, if not I'll get one.

Thanks again to everyone, I'll update this when I get around to doing it, it's on my list. Just ordered a set on Amazon for $46 with free prime shipping.

Well, I actually free hand drilled the small set screws on mine with no problems. You aren't drilling very far for those small screws.

Pete, I didn't have to ream them, just, as John said, gently drill the small screw holes. I mentioned the reamer because it's something I learned working with a tech, and it's advice well taken.

Archived