Heritage Owners Club

My Wife Thinks It's Crazy, What Do You Think?

Stringman

Guys:

Out of courtesy, I was discussing with my wife my desire to buy an archtop guitar. I told her that I might have to get rid of a few guitars to make this financially possible. She looked at me like I was nuts and then said as much. "Why would anyone sell two or three guitars to buy one guitar? That's crazy!!!", she said.

I tried to explain that I was seriously considering a higher quality Archtop (Heritage Sweet 16, Collings CL Jazz or other) that would cost considerably MORE money than any one of my current guitars. By selling two or three guitars I would have financial backing to turn that money towards an archtop of high quality. She was stuck selling three to get one. It went no further.

What do you think? Have you ever, or would you ever, sell three guitars (good to excellent quality) to buy a superb quality guitar, like an archtop? Have you done this before? I'd love to hear the stories you might have regarding this. Obviously, I have never done this before, but am having no luck finding a middle cost archtop.

Your thoughts?

Thanks.

Stringman

I'm on your wife's side.

I have a hard time selling things (usually at a loss) to buy something else. If I REALLY don't like the guitar, and it wouldn't result in losing a bunch of what I paid for it, then I would consider selling it.

Otherwise, save the money, and when the right deal comes on a nice archtop that really speaks to you, snag it!

​(I"m guessing your wife wasn't thinking about that approach :D )

I've traded guitars and I've bought guitars, I have not sold guitars to buy guitars, so this is hypothetical. I would only sell guitars if I did not love them. I love just about everything I have so I would probably just save up and pay cash.

I was no help, was I...

I'm on your wife's side.

I have a hard time selling things (usually at a loss) to buy something else. If I REALLY don't like the guitar, and it wouldn't result in losing a bunch of what I paid for it, then I would consider selling it.

Otherwise, save the money, and when the right deal comes on a nice archtop that really speaks to you, snag it!

​(I"m guessing your wife wasn't thinking about that approach :D )

I've probably moved too much gear in and out. I understand my wife's point, to a point, but a guy just needs a good archtop. Right?

Turned two Washburns and a bunch of pedals into my first Heritage. No regrets.

They were both fine guitars, nearly impossible to replace, but It was the right move.

I've backed myself into a corner with only owning gear I really like. I own nothing that's slam dunk trade bait. So, we'll see.

Depends on the three you are selling. Guitars make different sounds. If having an Archtop means you sell your only tele, that's not what I would consider a good deal.

I agree if a guy played a Tele as a main guitar and that was his thing. However, they make Tele's every day and they can be easily replaced. I've done it many times.

I've traded guitars and I've bought guitars, I have not sold guitars to buy guitars, so this is hypothetical. I would only sell guitars if I did not love them. I love just about everything I have so I would probably just save up and pay cash.

I was no help, was I...

Just talking about it help. Haven't had GAS in a long time. Haven't gotten any new gear in forever. Thinking it might be time. Thanks.

Every man needs a Heritage archtop. And a semihollow. And a solid body. And like myself, multiples of each category.

Just promise her a nice vacation and buy the darn thing!

I have a nice Michigan made archtop I can sell or trade you. It's not a Heritage. It was made at the Galloup Lutherie School. I'm willing to trade for a used 535. I have a lot of room to work on a price with this one. http://www.heritageownersclub.com/forums/topic/32130-galloup-student-build-archtop-jazz-guitar-fsft-3000/

I am planning to bring this one to PSP so you can have a better look at it there.

Fortunately for you, Google has just recently improved their online translation services. Their latest offering is a Wife-to-Husband translation module. Out of curiosity, I cut&pasted your wife's reply into the interface - here's what went down:

Wife: Why would anyone sell two or three guitars to buy one guitar? That's crazy!

Translation: Why would anyone so vested in their craft sell two or three guitars to buy a fine instrument like an archtop? I fully support you in your decision to expand your collection without suffering the loss of any current inventory; you have my blessing. Doing otherwise would be insane!

Lucky that I came along before tragedy struck!

Doesn't sound like the wife is objecting, and sounds like you like your affordable guitars... Have you thought about financing with a credit card or Balance transfer and ADDing an instrument?

That way you can acquire the instrument and sacrifice a little $$ monthly and figure if you want to move something out of your arsenal. There are dealers here that can facilitate a new guitar at a discount and other members that may assist in locating a used deal.

I will happily get you a current catalog, feed you great advise to get you the best bang out of your investment. You are in Michigan, come out and meet us at PSP on Friday August 4, its a factory tour and BBQ and lots of fun. Some Pre and Post events also.

Doesn't sound like the wife is objecting, and sounds like you like your affordable guitars... Have you thought about financing with a credit card or Balance transfer and ADDing an instrument?

That way you can acquire the instrument and sacrifice a little $$ monthly and figure if you want to move something out of your arsenal. There are dealers here that can facilitate a new guitar at a discount and other members that may assist in locating a used deal.

I will happily get you a current catalog, feed you great advise to get you the best bang out of your investment. You are in Michigan, come out and meet us at PSP on Friday August 4, its a factory tour and BBQ and lots of fun. Some Pre and Post events also.

"Said the spider, to the fly." Just shaking my head, laughing quietly to myself....

"Said the spider, to the fly." Just shaking my head, laughing quietly to myself....

I am a Heritage Enabler, Heritage Addict... Just providing my honest input. I really hope he comes to the tour to see how Heritage builds guitars!

On a side note I was pricing out a Crash test Dummy Jersey for when I ride the Tarmac!

I am a Heritage Enabler, Heritage Addict... Just providing my honest input. I really hope he comes to the tour to see how Heritage builds guitars!

On a side note I was pricing out a Crash test Dummy Jersey for when I ride the Tarmac!

Let's be honest here, Guy. You are also a Heritage dealer.

I would only sell or trade guitars that I am currently not using. If these are guitars that play regularly, keep them and save up for your archtop. If you are not playing them regularly, put them into the hands of a musician that will play them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One great guitar that feels like it was made for you is worth a store full of premium quality guitars that were made for someone else.

I would love to sell off everything and just have one guitar.

Problem #1, all my guitars feel like they were made for me.

Let's think about this if we are talking about cars....

Say you had two barely used Corvettes... But you really wanted a Ferrari.... If you want that Ferrari, you'd have to sell the two Corvettes to make it happen...

So that may help your wife understand...

When it comes to guitars... Well, I've bought and sold almost dozens of guitars over the past few years.... So much so, I've lost track of what I've had....

Usually, I've sold off guitars to help fund new ones...

But buying new is a bad idea for someone like me... I never recoup the cost I paid....

Buy used, always.

Oh, and you'll never find anyone to trade a couple of lessor guitars for a single, much nicer guitar. (I know, I've tried)

Let's think about this if we are talking about cars....

Say you had two barely used Corvettes... But you really wanted a Ferrari.... If you want that Ferrari, you'd have to sell the two Corvettes to make it happen...

HOC wisdom:

Keep the Corvettes and get the Ferrari.

HOC wisdom:

Keep the Corvettes and get the Ferrari.

Oddly enough, there is a guy in my neighborhood with a newer Ferrari..... and I don't live in that kind of neighborhood that people have such cars. Houses in my neighborhood top out at $200,000.... I drove by one day and his garage was open... Couldn't believe it when I saw it...

But then again, I've seen used 10 year old Ferrari's selling for under $70,000..... So I guess its possible... Wouldn't want the insurance bill.

I have sold guitars to buy other guitars. (sold my 1976 Es335 to get a custom order Prospect.) I have sold two guitars to buy one better one. I dont like selling them but $$ is usually the deciding factor.

Theres a practical aspect to it too. I dont need a warehouse full of guitars (or amps) I like to have 4-5 gig-able guitars . I dont have room for a bunch of gear that I dont use. I also have an issue with having $$ tied up in gear thats collecting dust.

Archived