Heritage Owners Club

My Wife Thinks It's Crazy, What Do You Think?

Stringman

My analogy is that Guitars (and even Amps) are like Guns or Golf Clubs. Each gun or golf club has a different purpose. IF you are not a collector, then It depends on how many you own and how much time you have to play.. If you have say, maybe more than 10 electric guitars, then you could probably part with 3 to get your dream guitar. If you have 6 or less electrics then it would be really difficult to part with two or 3.

I can't speak to guns or golf clubs --I long ago got rid of all of the former I ever owned, and have never owned any of the later-- but I did once have Stringman's situation, sort of in reverse. When I had a chance to return to gigging after a break of several years, I found myself poorly equipped for the gig on offer, and at a point when I didn't have much income and couldn't justify spending money on an amp and guitar. So, I ended up selling probably the most valuable guitar I'll ever own, an archtop (Super 400) to pick up a decent Strat and an all-tube amp. I did have enough left over to buy another archtop --my first Heritage, a blonde 550.

Of course, the guitar aficionado part of me wishes I still had the Super 400, which I lucked into as a fringe benefit of working in a guitar shop when I was only 16, but, the guitar was too big for me, fed back at the volumes I played at back then, so, I really rarely played it.

I was going through some old papers the other day and found my only documentation of owning that guitar: A reply from Gibson from a letter I wrote --back then, writing to the manufacturer was an informal way to make sure a used guitar without documentation was not hot and to establish ownership, and a not very good printout of an ad when the guitar came up for sale at Mandolin Bros. several years after I sold it.

IMG_20170718_0003.jpg

IMG_20170718_0004.jpg

Guys:

Thanks for all the posts. To clarify just a little, I have backed myself into a corner with "Only" 7 guitars at this time, each one a keeper. But, I find myself short of an archtop. I need it to be acoustic for playing without an amp, so a H-575 and my own H576 won't do. My Gretsch 6120 is quiet acoustically as is my 335. So, I'd like to find an alive acoustic/electric archtop and am thinking it should be the cream of the crop of my instruments. This may require a tough decision or two (letting go of the 335? or the 6120? I don't know yet.)

Thanks for all your comments. It helps me to hear your stories and situations.

Take care.

Stringman

Did you happen to see the Eagle Deluxe that was just posted for sale from Dr Achiron? You might drop him a note and see what you could work out.

http://www.heritageownersclub.com/forums/topic/32301-for-sale-1900-eagle-deluxe-archtop-2002/

TalismanRich: Thanks for the heads up on the archtop. I'll pursue it with Dr. Achiron. String

I had a Super Eagle that I traded for an amp, an H150gt and some $. The opposite of your situation and possibly more of what your wife thinks is not crazy to do. Personally I would trade either way (or sell) to get what makes me feel good at the time. If you "need" an archtop you must do what is necessary to make that happen. There is no crazy just emotions at play when it comes to guitars.

TalismanRich: Thanks for the heads up on the archtop. I'll pursue it with Dr. Achiron. String

This sold on E bay last night.

I think most of this thread is tongue and cheek.

But honestly, selling/trading 3 guitars to get 1 more expensive better guitar..... it's called upgrading.

And yes, I have done it at least twice (maybe three times) this year alone. The advantages are; you get a better guitar (or a guitar you REALLY want) and the number of guitars (and the space they occupy) decreases.

Stringman~ You are not crazy. However, your wifey-marketing skills might need a bit of help. Try showing her a photo of what you are seeking.

Your wife seems like a very practical lady. But even the most practical woman on earth can't resist a beautiful work of art like this......

eq9hdoj9lsr8dfkownvm.jpg

https://reverb.com/item/4792686-heritage-golden-eagle-custom-2005-golden-amber

Stringman~ You are not crazy. However, your wifey-marketing skills might need a bit of help. Try showing her a photo of what you are seeking.

Your wife seems like a very practical lady. But even the most practical woman on earth can't resist a beautiful work of art like this......

eq9hdoj9lsr8dfkownvm.jpg

https://reverb.com/item/4792686-heritage-golden-eagle-custom-2005-golden-amber

THAT'S THE GUITAR

eq9hdoj9lsr8dfkownvm.jpg

https://reverb.com/item/4792686-heritage-golden-eagle-custom-2005-gol

THAT'S THE GUITAR!!!

so... you're going to do whatever the hell you want, right? :P

Well, I'm going to show my wife this picture and explain that I want this kind of high end piece of gear. If it takes selling one or more guitars to easily finance such a venture, I'm going to do it. She'll see the reasoning eventually. Thanks.

THAT'S THE GUITAR

THAT'S THE GUITAR!!!

Really?! How strange is that?

That blonde GE is what I would select if in the market for a quality archtop with both a strong acoustic and amplified voice. And it is drop dead gorgeous. (Psst...Jay has a lay away plan!) :ph34r:

I had a Super Eagle that I traded for an amp, an H150gt and some $. The opposite of your situation and possibly more of what your wife thinks is not crazy to do. Personally I would trade either way (or sell) to get what makes me feel good at the time. If you "need" an archtop you must do what is necessary to make that happen. There is no crazy just emotions at play when it comes to guitars.

That super eagle exposed me to the 'greatness' of the Heritage Archtop line. It was a good fair trade for both of us. Although I eventually traded it, I didn't loose any dollars and got to experience something special. No problem parting with a few things to upgrade. With the used market, it doesn't cost too much to experiment and find the right keeper for you. The Journey is the Reward.

That super eagle exposed me to the 'greatness' of the Heritage Archtop line. It was a good fair trade for both of us. Although I eventually traded it, I didn't loose any dollars and got to experience something special. No problem parting with a few things to upgrade. With the used market, it doesn't cost too much to experiment and find the right keeper for you. The Journey is the Reward.

That was the best trade I have ever made. The GT became my main giging guitar. I've worn through the neck finish from the 4th to 12th fret on the bass side and my fingers have worn through the top finish between the pickups on the treble side. It has serious sentimental value to me.

The amp is also my main giging amp. It has taught me to understand electronics. I've modified it little by little so now it can be up to 10 watts with 2 6v6s or one EL34, the tone stack is between a Marshall and Fender and I can run 4,8 or 16 ohm cabs.

The guitar amp combo literally changed the way I play. I discovered the beauty of power tube distortion and got rid of all pedals and in the end my playing improved.

Archived