Heritage Owners Club

HOC Board Software and the Path Forward

Administrator

What Should We Do With a Drunken Sailor?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Should we continue with the current platform (IP.Board v3.x), upgrade to the latest version (IP.Board v4.x) or migrate to a new solution?

• Stay with this old solution, despite the security risks
    • Upgrade to the latest version of the same solution
    • Migrate to a different solution
    • I Don't Care

The software the HOC currently runs on was End-of-Life (EOL) on 1 APR 17, may it RIP. There are, and will be, no more security updates or patches. The options are:

1) Continue running with this EOL software and pretend the security is stupendously terrific and no exploits exist or will be found

2) Upgrade the current version (v3.x) to the new version (v4.x) of the same board software, understanding look and feel will change some

3) Migrate to a different platform/solution, understanding look and feel will change anywhere from "that's different" to "this is tragically, comically FUBAR"

The question in the poll should be simple enough to understand. If you answer "Migrate to a new solution", and you have a preference, please take a second and throw a comment in here to indicate what your preferred solution is (e.g., Xenforo, VBulletin, SMF, etc.).

I will preempt any potential response of "You are such an idiot. Why are you asking us?" I've found over the years that some members of some forums (fora, Rob? I've occasionally wondered...) get very invested in the environment and unilaterally changing something as fundamental as the underlying software has the potential to really upset some people's apple carts. I ask because I care what you think, and want you to have a good experience. Sure, that's hard to believe, yet it's true.

If you have questions, or need more detail, fire away. I'll try to respond in a timely fashion. No promises...

Considering that this version is at EOL, it's likely too much of a risk to stay with it. Hesitatingly, I voted to move to a new platform. But, I'm not opposed to staying with the same platform and moving to a new version assuming that the newer versions will continue to get the necessary security patches.

I would caution against moving to whatever platform Harmony Central forums are on though. When they migrated to it a few years ago, it basically destroyed the forum and they had to start from scratch. It was a very ugly migration that they still haven't recovered from.

I'm not on a lot of forums. Of the 3 or 4 systems I use (Xenforo, Proboard, VBulletin and IPBoard) I like the way IPBoard works. Next would be Xenforo, then VB and PB. That's just personally preference. This is strictly from the usability aspect. I don't have a clue about the reliability of the software,

I do like the way the HOC is configured. Its user friendly, easy to navigate and just plain "comfortable".

I think in the past you mentioned a problem with hacks of V3, will V4 take care of that for you? I do like the current format, but I won't quit if it changes. I think my recommendation would be to get what makes your job the easiest as I know this isn't a full time occupation for you.

Yup, after a few decades (OK, many decades) in the industry, I know enough about systems to understand that stuff I don't know about should be left to the people actually working with it. Brian and Jeff are right.

I trust your judgement, boss; I'm just the guy at the end of the bar, adding non-essential/non-interesting comments to the conversation. Thanks for all you do!

This...

I have always defended everyone's right to vote. But I always hope those that vote are educated on what they are voting. SO since I know nothin' about this stuff I will defer to the judgement of those that do.

And I would ask you consider a membership contribution to help with the expense of any monetary costs & your time commitment to keeping this place running.

I really only frequent one other forum, and it too is a labor of love of one of the fanboys, with the emotional investment to maintain a community. He is only an occasional poster, but his presence is felt and appreciated by all.

He also accepts donations. The experience of the forum members is no different whether you pay or not. Should you choose to donate, a little banner appears on the left by your avatar "2015 Donor" " 2016 Donor" "2017 donor" etc

It is not required, it is not solicited. It is an option available to those so inclined, and we're reminded annually that the option exists.

you can paypal the guy 5 bucks or 500. no one but you and he knows or cares. And again, if you're not able, you are still a welcome contributor having the very same experience as everyone else.

I would welcome that opportunity here.

As for the format, I know nussink! I enjoy the interface. But I've learned repeatedly that I'm able to adapt. I'll manage with whatever you decide.

I voted "I don't care" only because I don't know which of the other two is best. Switch or upgrade are equally fine with me. It doesn't seem that staying on the current stuff is prudent.

Thanks for all you do.

security first

migrate to different platform has the cost of importing the contents of the dismissing platform

(I didn't checked if even possible)

thanks a lot for your good job and for asking our opinion

While still employed I was pretty good at laying out requirements, then allowing process experts figure out the details. John, you've done an incredible job providing a vehicle for us all to enjoy each other's company in our virtual community. Pick what's easiest for you. While an old dog, I can still learn a few new tricks if necessary. Thanks again for all the work that goes on behind the scene.

I think in the past you mentioned a problem with hacks of V3, will V4 take care of that for you? I do like the current format, but I won't quit if it changes. I think my recommendation would be to get what makes your job the easiest as I know this isn't a full time occupation for you.

I second. Stable and easy to administer are the only two gotta haves. We are adults -- we can deal with whatever comes along with those two requirements. Yeah, yeah -- I know "adults" is a bit of a stretch, but for the admins sanity, please try.

Archived