Heritage Owners Club

Repaired Values for Heritages

DetroitBlues

I check Reverb.com near daily, most for the articles (but there sure are a lot of distracting photos in the feed!)

Today, Chicago Music Exchange is selling a beautiful Emerald Green 535.

geckhx90n9cwjiyysg27.jpg

Price is good, just a hair under $1300...

Until I saw the pictures...

Nasty Headstock Break/Repair.

rnrmbz8xcgqnjviao010.jpg

Now I think that good price is not so good.

But what do you think prices for repaired Heritages should be?

Does the value matter depending on the model?

In my opinion..

Repaired H-140/150's should be $500-$750

Repaired H-157/535 should be $750-$950

Repaired H-155/158/555 should be $850-$1050.

Just what I think they'd sell for without staying on the market longer than 90 days.

Pricing does depend on the desirability of the individual instrument and largely on the quality of the repair. A first rate repair that is undetectable even on close inspection would negate a lot of the loss of value that happens.

But I buy them to play , so a players grade pricing can sometimes be appealing.

Interesting specimen.... Functionally, that repair looks as though it might be fine. But why would you go that far and leave the repair such a cosmetic disaster?! Entirely inexcusable! Proper sanding, respray with a stinger, and sub $1300 is likely fine.

People react to neck and headstock repairs differently. Some wont even consider it for a second and others just dont care as long as its done right.

Me, if one of my own guitars required a neck or head stock repair I would be fine with it but it would be really hard for me to part with anything but loose change for someone elses repaired guitar even if I personally knew the repairer and even if I liked the guitar. Maybe I will change one day.

There's nothing that JBWeld won't fix! But I agree, this one is a disaster.

I don't even know that the repair is functionally stable. It looks like it split the headstock halfway up. Far better would be to get Heritage to find a neck that was bad, finish the headstock and do a scarf joint. That should be stable and aesthetically pleasing.

This one.... I wouldn't touch with a 10 ft pole!

My big issue is that this really does NOT look like a professional repair. I have seen a lot of repairs for neck breaks done by Greg at BCR music, and other repair guys, and they have MUCH better glue joints. It really looks like this was not properly opened up, which you need to do to make sure all of the wood bits are facing the correct direction. That would have made a much better joint. Then I would have liked to see two support splines put in.

I do agree that a correctly done headstock repair is just fine, but I don't think this was one.

That should be the before picture of a head stock repair, not the after picture.

There are so many guitars in the market place without neck repairs makes me wonder why anyone would consider that 535 at that price. Personally I would never purchase a guitar that suffered a broken neck. I have always wondered if a neck repair was done so well, why is the owner selling the guitar.

There are so many guitars in the market place without neck repairs makes me wonder why anyone would consider that 535 at that price. Personally I would never purchase a guitar that suffered a broken neck. I have always wondered if a neck repair was done so well, why is the owner selling the guitar.

Some sell because it always weighs in the back of the mind if it will hold....

I have had several broken/repaired headstock Heritages pass through my hands. I got them for much less than their unbroken contemporaries, and never felt like I had an inferior product; in fact, I felt like I kind of stole them. Having said THAT, I don't own any of them any more. That is not because they weren't excellent values, something new and shiny probably necessitated their sale......

Honestly, I think it's pretty silly that a headstock break elicits such a dramatic decrease in resale value. I'd buy a well repaired headstock repair at a good price all day, every day!

Honestly, I think it's pretty silly that a headstock break elicits such a dramatic decrease in resale value. I'd buy a well repaired headstock repair at a good price all day, every day!

In this case, its NOT a well repaired headstock! Its looks like a hatchet job by an amateur.

Archived