Heritage Owners Club

AC30 Heads

Gtwibs

So, I'm not a vox guy, but always seem to think that one day they'll grow on me or I'll figure out how to tame one to fit my sounds.

Anyway, I'm wondering why no one ever seems to play AC30 heads? Almost all vox players seem to employ combos despite the fact that they're known to weigh a TON. Is there something special about getting one in a combo? Some mystique? Is it aesthetic?

For a lot of other amps, the head version seems to be the more commonly used (Marshall JCM800, Mesa Recto, Peavey 5150). Looking at this list, I'm also wondering, do people just associate cleaner amps Twins, Vox...etc. with combos for historical reasons?

What's your take? What's your reasoning vox players?

Thanks!

Didn't know there were AC30 heads, not that I've actually looked. I do recall that early 2k abomination AC (50?). All I see around here are combos. My practice room amp is a Vox AC30 CC1. Everything sounds good thru that amp. P90s included.

Probably the same reason  you don't see Twin Reverb heads even though twins are so heavy. They sound great as they are but damn they are both so heavy.

19 hours ago, rwinking said:

Probably the same reason  you don't see Twin Reverb heads even though twins are so heavy. They sound great as they are but damn they are both so heavy.

There are Twin Reverb heads, they just changed the name to Showman. I've got the most recent incarnation of that amp the Super Sonic 100, and it's still heavy as he!!. This head weighs 65 lbs.

Well, here's one.  That is one screaming deal even if a PCB layout.  Personally, I favor a point to point eyelet or turret board build or Ceriatone  kit for that circuit, because the AC 30 runs power tubes right at their operating limits, an if a tube lets go it's much easier to fix if that tube takes out other parts when it dies.  An amp personally built is the easiest one to fix!

That price is awfully tempting, flippable even.  Would be fun to chase some Brian May or Beatles tones with this one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VOX-Custom-Classic-AC30CCH-30W-Tube-Guitar-Amp-Head-w-Original-Packaging-/192304021799?epid=664936543&hash=item2cc6368127:g:GHAAAOSwyLFZrXvG

I forgot about the Fender Showman. I remember a Showman Reverb which would have been a head version of the twin. Anybody know what the difference was btw the Showman and Dual Showman?

22 hours ago, rwinking said:

I forgot about the Fender Showman. I remember a Showman Reverb which would have been a head version of the twin. Anybody know what the difference was btw the Showman and Dual Showman?

The Showman was sold either alone or with a 1-12" or 1-15" cab whereas the Dual Showman was sold with a 2-15" cab, but the amps were the same.

Archived